See 35 miles with amazing binoculars!!!

Old February 5th 07, 10:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Protagonist

Default See 35 miles with amazing binoculars!!!

Ed wrote:
We should post an ad:

See a wonder of the universe; See the Andromeda Galaxy at a distance
of about 2.4 Million Light Years!

Andromeda is a naked eye object from a dark location with good eyes.
JS

Old February 5th 07, 02:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Shawn

Protagonist wrote:
Ed wrote:
We should post an ad:

See a wonder of the universe; See the Andromeda Galaxy at a distance
of about 2.4 Million Light Years!

Andromeda is a naked eye object from a dark location with good eyes.

You don't need good eyes. I can see it without my glasses :-)

Shawn
Old February 5th 07, 08:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Hudson

Ioannis wrote:
"Protagonist" wrote in message
. ..
[snip]

I like the Tasco 60 mm, can show the wonders of the universe all the
time at 600x magnification!

Actually, as I've said many times here, the standard Tasco tube makes a pretty
good OTA. Just throw away the horrible eyepieces, the focuser, and use the
tripod legs as clubing sticks under your car seat for cases of emergency.

Then buy some good eyepieces like I have done from Apogee, a decent shorty
Barlow and mount the entire thing on a good sturdy tripod that can stand 25-30
kg's and you've got a pretty decent instrument.

Mine will go to reasonable magnifications, 35-92X without the Barlow, (use the
Barlow ONLY when the nights are exceptionally clear) and I am practically
guaranteed sharp, distinct Airy disks, at around 90X and even higher during
those rare nights when I can see the milky way reflected against the sea.

No 600X claims of course, but on how many nights can ANY scope use 600X?

JS

I saw Neptune and Triton at 622x on the 30" Challenger at Fremont Peak.

--
Bill Hudson - The Astrogeek
http://astrogeek.wordpress.com
Old February 5th 07, 11:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ed[_2_]

Protag....I forgot to end with "No telescope needed just naked eyes"

And yes, I am fully aware of this...

Old February 6th 07, 05:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ed[_2_]

Yes Sam, a lot of this stuff "As seen on TV" is just not that great to
begin with.
And every once and a while you can be surfing channels and just happen
to see..
horror of horrors, one of those ghastly tiny refractors and see & hear
those spinmeisters try really hard to sell it..

Old February 6th 07, 09:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ernie Dunbar

On Feb 4, 8:20 pm, "Ed" wrote:
What is really sad is when some 11 or 12 year old kid comes to your
astronomy club meeting (parents in tow) with one of these goofy tiny
reflectors that have really horrible mounts

Why? Personally, I'd show them how to use it. I would also show them
how a $45 investment will improve the image quality by leaps and
bounds.

Those goofy reflectors could be the start of a love affair with
astronomy if you give them a chance.

6 miles Paul Bunion Policy 17 December 16th 06 09:28 PM
To Boldly Go 220 Miles Away [email protected] Astronomy Misc 2 July 31st 06 08:21 PM
Miles & Miles +35 John Whisenhunt History 5 February 11th 06 11:04 AM
What's the difference between 62 miles and 100 miles in LEO? Jetgraphics Technology 1 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Yet it's only 35 miles! Martin R. Howell Amateur Astronomy 14 July 2nd 04 04:15 AM