Could someone give me three good reasons . . .

Old January 27th 07, 11:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.

Default Could someone give me three good reasons . . .

.. . . to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Digital when I have a perfectly good EOS
Rebel X, a perfectly good EOS 630, and a bag full of genuine Canon EOS
lenses?

I need these reasons for self-defense when the UPS truck arrives.

Old January 28th 07, 12:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On Jan 27, 4:41 pm, "Joe S." wrote:
. . . to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Digital when I have a perfectly good EOS
Rebel X, a perfectly good EOS 630, and a bag full of genuine Canon EOS
lenses?

I need these reasons for self-defense when the UPS truck arrives.

I assume the "EOS 630" is a 35mm body?

If so, your three reasons a

NO DECENT FILM
NO DECENT FILM
NO DECENT FILM

The films available that are good for deep sky astrophotography are
few (no print films, really), and generally much poorer than what we
had, say, 10 years ago.

Also, wouldn't you like to get immediate feedback on your results
without having to wait for everybody to go to bed so you can set up
your darkroom equipment and, then, if you get punk results, for the
next New Moon?!

Uncle Rod

Old January 28th 07, 12:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
atheist

"Joe S." wrote in message
. ..
. . . to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Digital when I have a perfectly good EOS
Rebel X, a perfectly good EOS 630, and a bag full of genuine Canon EOS
lenses?

I need these reasons for self-defense when the UPS truck arrives.

Maybe I can help. But I have to start with a small reality check by saying
that personally once I decided to give up astro-imaging, I sold my Rebel and
got a Coolpix S9 for general photogoraphy. It's a great little 6.3Mp camera
and fits in a shirt pocket. I added a 512MB memory card and a spare battery.
It holds well over 300 pictures in "normal" mode, has an optical zoom (and a
virtually useless digital zoom), and with the spare battery I can go all
day, and then some, filling up the memory card with family photos and candid
travel photos, checking the results on the spot.

Having said that, imaging with the Rebel both day and night and sending the
results to my brother, I rekindled his interest in "serious" photography. He
has Nikon stuff from his days of film, but he came over to the dark side
with a 300D of his own. He then ended up with a 20D, a 400mm IS lens for
distance imaging of birds mostly, and then he got into macrolens imaging of
bugs. Amazing stuff. He lives in the Bahamas and has a lot of imaging
opportunities. He tried astro-imaging a couple of times, but it's less work
to go out and shoot bugs and birds. He actually made some money last year
selling his images to a local calendar maker.

You are really going to love the Rebel if you are into photography. The
resolution is top notch. Not to mention the convenience of instant
processing of your results, the ability to toss the bad and keep the good,
and incurring no additional dollar cost for shooting the same scene 10 ways
to Sunday just to be sure you get at least one good image.

Learn the camera settings, and enjoy!

Old January 28th 07, 01:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Shawn

Joe S. wrote:
. . . to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Digital when I have a perfectly good EOS
Rebel X, a perfectly good EOS 630, and a bag full of genuine Canon EOS
lenses?

I need these reasons for self-defense when the UPS truck arrives.

I've had a Rebel XT (previous generation 8 Mpx) for a year and a half.
Grab the first three lenses out of your bag and you have three more
reasons to buy than you need. :-)
Really nice camera. Excellent results, easy to use, all the regular
digicam advantages, plus you have lenses that, unless I'm mistaken (Ha!
like that ever happens ;-)), should work on the new body.

Shawn
Old January 28th 07, 02:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_1_]

Shawn wrote:
Really nice camera. Excellent results, easy to use, all the regular
digicam advantages, plus you have lenses that, unless I'm mistaken (Ha!
like that ever happens ;-)), should work on the new body.

Totally tangential, but when I saw the "Ha!" the first thing that came
to my head was, "Hunh. Hydrogen alpha?"

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html

Old January 28th 07, 02:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

"RMOLLISE" wrote

On Jan 27, 4:41 pm, "Joe S." wrote:

. . . to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Digital when I have a perfectly good EOS
Rebel X, a perfectly good EOS 630, and a bag full of genuine Canon EOS
lenses?

I need these reasons for self-defense when the UPS truck arrives.

I assume the "EOS 630" is a 35mm body?

If so, your three reasons a

NO DECENT FILM
NO DECENT FILM
NO DECENT FILM

Rod, I'd have figured you'd approve of ANYthing that had "Rebel" in it!!

;-)

Old January 28th 07, 09:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Hi Howard:

You know me too well. ;-)

Unk Rod

Old January 29th 07, 06:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Winalski

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:41:46 -0500, "Joe S."
wrote:

. . . to buy a Canon EOS Rebel Digital when I have a perfectly good EOS
Rebel X, a perfectly good EOS 630, and a bag full of genuine Canon EOS
lenses?

I need these reasons for self-defense when the UPS truck arrives.

You mean you don't want a Rebel without a cause?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As already pointed out, you can't get decent astrophotography film
these days. That is reason enough.

-Paul W.
Remove 'Z' to reply by email.

Reasons Starlord Amateur Astronomy 23 December 16th 05 05:47 PM
Sunspot Min in Max / Reasons? bucko Solar 1 September 23rd 05 09:09 AM
Shuttle safety up for good reasons! bob haller Space Shuttle 7 July 28th 04 08:56 PM
Air cars will never fly (911 more reasons) [email protected] Policy 46 October 9th 03 07:23 PM