17mm Type 4 or 16mm Type 5?

Old June 5th 05, 11:04 PM
Gregory

Default 17mm Type 4 or 16mm Type 5?

Hello all,

I need a wide-field eyepiece in this focal length range
to use on a 12.5" f/5 Newtonian. Just wondering if
anyone had an opinion on which is the better eyepiece.
To be used mostly for DSOs (globulars, open clusters,
smaller nebulae, etc.), with and without UHC filter.

Old June 6th 05, 03:56 AM
Louis

Greg,
I have a 12.5 dob (Dis. PDHQ). I bought a 17mmT4 for it and works
GREAT. You'd love it I had (and still do) have a 16mmT5 at my
disposal to re-assure myself now and then. A nice (very nice) surprise
was finding out how sweet this 17mm works with my TV 102 too! What a
sweeper in the Milky Way...It can't get any better. It is the best ep I
have for a 50-50 use with my two scopes. Many nights I use the 31T5 and
the 17T4 only. And the 2" ep will work better than the 1.25 with the
UHC IMHO. The 16t5 & 17t4 are mighty fine ep's indeed. Good luck..clear
skies buddy.

Old June 6th 05, 05:40 AM
Gregory

Louis wrote:

I have a 12.5 dob (Dis. PDHQ). I bought a 17mmT4 for it
and works GREAT. You'd love it ...

Thanks Louis, just the kind of feedback I was wanting.
I was leaning toward the 17mm, but just wanted to be
sure (I have never looked through a 16mm T5).

Greg

Old June 8th 05, 04:14 AM
Matthew D. Mills

I have the same set up too. But I use the Paracorr left in all the time.
This combo works well with my other EP 27mm Panoptic and 12mm Nagler and
12.5" dob.
Matt
oups.com...