Galaxy cluster at z=1.4 challenges BBT

Old March 19th 05, 12:22 PM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Max Keon wrote:
jacob navia wrote:

wrote:

jacob navia wrote:

-----

The scopes have arrived at the immediate
neighborhood of the supposed big bang and there
is not the slightest hint of a bang to see.

You mean besides the cosmic microwave background
radiation that already confirms the BBT to several
decimals of precision?

There was a discussion in sci.astro about "overaveraging"
and the whole "wrinkles in the face of god"
story. I remain a sceptic about that. But yes, there
is no alternative explanation to the cosmic background.

The problem is that it could very well be that we just
do not know what the Cosmic Background *is*, and we see it
as we can: as a "BB " relic.

Since the validity of the BB theory is very much in question,

Not by the actual scientists working in cosmology.

I assume that arguments posed by alternative theories are now
open for discussion?

Everyone is free everytime to propose alternative theories. See the
moderator's comment below.

The contents of this link http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mkeon/cmb.html
is an extract from a theory which describes a universe that
originated from absolutely nothing, and it provides an alternative
explanation for the CMBR.

Can it explain why the spectrum of the CMBR is such a nice blackbody,
without any spectral lines? Why its temperature changes with time in
accordance with the predictions of the BBT? The fact that if the CMBR
is assumed to have a cosmological origin, the parameters we derive
from it (Hubble parameter, density of dark energy etc.) are nicely
consistent with determinations using other methods? Why computer
simulations which study how the density fluctuations grow with time
produce the observed large-scale structure? The power spectrum (hint:
I don't talk about the blackbody spectrum) of the CMBR, especially the
acoustic peak? The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect? The integrated
Sachs-Wolfe effect

But without some prior understanding of
the theory the link may not make much sense.

If your theory can explain all the things listed above
(quantitatively), I'll look at it.

[snip]

[Mod. note: Just in case people aren't aware of the policy,
`alternative theories' have always been up for discussion on s.a.r.,
but they should be discussed in a scientific (and polite!) way. A
descent to personalities (by either side) or arguments that blatantly
ignore the experimental evidence are likely to run foul of the
moderation policy -- mjh]

That is a really good point: one should first be aware of the
experimental evidence before one starts proposing alternative theories.

Bye,
Bjoern
Old March 21st 05, 10:07 AM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:
Max Keon wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Oh, and let's add the observed polarization of the CMBR.

[snip]

Bye,
Bjoern
Old March 23rd 05, 01:28 PM
Max Keon

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:

Max Keon wrote:
jacob navia wrote:

-----
-----

[...]

Yes.

Why its temperature changes with time in accordance with the
predictions of the BBT?

The BBT predicts a blackbody curve, but not the specific temperature
of course. My theory predicts a similar curve, and that has been
tweaked to the shape of the CMBR with a multiplier which indicates
the current state of evolution of the universe.

The CMBR paints the picture to which we all fit our theories.

The fact that if the CMBR
is assumed to have a cosmological origin, the parameters we derive
from it (Hubble parameter, density of dark energy etc.) are nicely
consistent with determinations using other methods?

Dark matter can certainly be explained, if it's required.

Why computer
simulations which study how the density fluctuations grow with time
produce the observed large-scale structure? The power spectrum (hint:
I don't talk about the blackbody spectrum) of the CMBR, especially the
acoustic peak?

Every time I study the WMAP maps, all I can see is a well formed
universe that could have been there forever.

The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect? The integrated
Sachs-Wolfe effect

I wasn't aware of the Sachs-Wolf effect. Thanks.
But what's to explain? The zero origin universe works just fine.

What evidence supports that effect anyway? The assumption seem to
be that photons behave like matter when in gravitational potential
wells, that they can gain or lose energy, but by contracting or
extending their wavelengths. If a photon is moving through a
deepening potential well, it will exit the well with an extended
wavelength (I think). But that is clearly impossible. It would be
hard to explain where the trailing edge of a very long wavetrain
in the visible light spectrum might be stored while it's waiting
for the extended train length in front of it to exit the potential
well. Even if time slows in the deepening well and the light path
length increases, that path length will again shorten when the
wavetrain moves away from the well. Whatever is assumed to happen,
what is going to permanently alter? What experimental evidence
directly supports such a thing?

If the deepening potential well was moving away from an observer,
that effect may be noted. But that's not relevant to the CMBR, is
it?

But without some prior understanding of
the theory the link may not make much sense.

If your theory can explain all the things listed above
(quantitatively), I'll look at it.

[snip]

[Mod. note: Just in case people aren't aware of the policy,
`alternative theories' have always been up for discussion on s.a.r.,
but they should be discussed in a scientific (and polite!) way. A
descent to personalities (by either side) or arguments that blatantly
ignore the experimental evidence are likely to run foul of the
moderation policy -- mjh]

That is a really good point: one should first be aware of the
experimental evidence before one starts proposing alternative theories.

One should also be aware that the evidence can be interpreted in
more ways than one. From the time of my initial encounter with the
zero origin universe (around 30 years ago) I've tested the theory
to the best of my ability against emerging evidence. The universe
seems to be falling into place very nicely. Even the electron and
positron, through experimental evidence, have emerged with amazing
precision to fill the role of the postulated components which I
initially labeled "absolute opposite stress characters".
----------

The polarization found in the CMBR that you refer to in your
follow-up post is a question I need to address. Could it be caused
by light bouncing around a rotation polarized universe (if it can
be termed thus)?

-----

Max Keon
Old March 24th 05, 10:52 AM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Max Keon wrote:
Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:

Max Keon wrote:

[snip]

The contents of this link http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mkeon/cmb.html
is an extract from a theory which describes a universe that
originated from absolutely nothing, and it provides an alternative
explanation for the CMBR.

Can it explain why the spectrum of the CMBR is such a nice blackbody,
without any spectral lines?

Yes.

Your link above goes to a page which mainly contains curves and not
many explanations, as far as I can see. Could you please explain here
shortly what the source of the CMBR is in your model, and why it has a
blackbody spectrum?

Why its temperature changes with time in accordance with the
predictions of the BBT?

The BBT predicts a blackbody curve, but not the specific temperature
of course.

Err, that was not my point. Read again what I actually wrote, please.
I did not talk about temperature - I talked about *changes* in
temperature.

See e.g. he
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/stdystat.htm#Tvsz

[snip more irrelevant arguments]

The fact that if the CMBR
is assumed to have a cosmological origin, the parameters we derive
from it (Hubble parameter, density of dark energy etc.) are nicely
consistent with determinations using other methods?

Dark matter can certainly be explained, if it's required.

That has nothing to do with my argument above. Try again, please.

Why computer
simulations which study how the density fluctuations grow with time
produce the observed large-scale structure? The power spectrum (hint:
I don't talk about the blackbody spectrum) of the CMBR, especially the
acoustic peak?

Every time I study the WMAP maps, all I can see is a well formed
universe that could have been there forever.

That has nothing to do with either of my two arguments above. Try
again, please.

The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect? The integrated
Sachs-Wolfe effect

I wasn't aware of the Sachs-Wolf effect. Thanks.

But you were aware of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect? If yes, could
you please outline how your model explains the observations?

But what's to explain? The zero origin universe works just fine.

Well, then please show how your model explains these two effects.
Quantitatively.

What evidence supports that effect anyway?

Which one? Sunyaev-Zel'dovich or integrated Sachs-Wolfe?

For the first one, see e.g. he
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~aas/tenmeter/sz.htm

For the second, see e.g. he
astro-ph/0307335

The assumption seem to
be that photons behave like matter when in gravitational potential
wells, that they can gain or lose energy, but by contracting or
extending their wavelengths.

Err, that is not an assumption. That has actually been experimentally
confirmed. Both in the lab and in astronomical observations.

If a photon is moving through a
deepening potential well, it will exit the well with an extended
wavelength (I think). But that is clearly impossible.

Well, then why has this been observed?

It would be
hard to explain where the trailing edge of a very long wavetrain
in the visible light spectrum might be stored while it's waiting
for the extended train length in front of it to exit the potential
well.

What makes you think that this trailing edge has to be stored
somewhere and has to wait?

Even if time slows in the deepening well and the light path
length increases, that path length will again shorten when the
wavetrain moves away from the well.

Pardon? When the light moves away from the well, the path length
*inside the well* shortens? Sorry, I can't follow you here.

If you talk about the path length *outside* the well, then what
has that to do with the redshift occuring *inside* the well?

Whatever is assumed to happen,
what is going to permanently alter? What experimental evidence
directly supports such a thing?

Try this, for starters:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/biography/Pound.html

If the deepening potential well was moving away from an observer,
that effect may be noted. But that's not relevant to the CMBR, is
it?

No.

But without some prior understanding of
the theory the link may not make much sense.

If your theory can explain all the things listed above
(quantitatively), I'll look at it.

So far, you have addressed nothing but the very first point. And even
there, you did not bother to gave an explanation - you merely
asserted that your model explains that.

[snip]

That is a really good point: one should first be aware of the
experimental evidence before one starts proposing alternative theories.

One should also be aware that the evidence can be interpreted in
more ways than one.

As I already said: feel free to address the evidence. Quantitatively.

From the time of my initial encounter with the
zero origin universe (around 30 years ago) I've tested the theory
to the best of my ability against emerging evidence.

You admitted yourself above that you weren't aware of some pieces
of evidence, and apparently misunderstood other pieces.

[snip more irrelevancies]

http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/02/020918.carlstrom.shtml
http://astro.uchicago.edu/dasi/polexpert/

Could it be caused
by light bouncing around a rotation polarized universe (if it can
be termed thus)?

Don't merely speculate. Address the results. Quantitatively.

Bye,
Bjoern
Old March 29th 05, 05:20 PM
Max Keon

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:

Max Keon wrote:
Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:
Max Keon wrote:

[snip]

The contents of this link http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mkeon/cmb.html
is an extract from a theory which describes a universe that
originated from absolutely nothing, and it provides an alternative
explanation for the CMBR.

Can it explain why the spectrum of the CMBR is such a nice blackbody,
without any spectral lines?

Yes.

Your link above goes to a page which mainly contains curves and not
many explanations, as far as I can see. Could you please explain here
shortly what the source of the CMBR is in your model,

As I previously indicated, to "explain here shortly" is almost
impossible. But the rest of my reply may help.

and why it has a blackbody spectrum?

It's based on temperature change of the universe throughout its
evolution from the zero origin. It has the spectrum of the CMBR,
just like your theory does.

Why its temperature changes with time in accordance with the
predictions of the BBT?

The BBT predicts a blackbody curve, but not the specific temperature
of course.

Err, that was not my point. Read again what I actually wrote, please.
I did not talk about temperature - I talked about *changes* in
temperature.

The temperature at the origin was zero. The universe is evolving.
Its temperature is increasing at a logarithmic rate, hence the
^1.12 adjustment to each (equally spaced relative to a fixed time
zone) curve generated from the Planck equation,
#=((8*pi*h*f^3)/(c^2*(EXP((h*f)/(k*t))-1))) ^1.12

The ^1.12 exponent is near enough to constant for the blackbody plot
of the universe that we can meaningfully comprehend. It would have
been infinitesimally greater than 1 for the plot at the origin. So
there's still a long way left for us to go.

See e.g. he
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/stdystat.htm#Tvsz

[snip more irrelevant arguments]

The fact that if the CMBR
is assumed to have a cosmological origin, the parameters we derive
from it (Hubble parameter, density of dark energy etc.) are nicely
consistent with determinations using other methods?

Dark matter can certainly be explained, if it's required.

That has nothing to do with my argument above. Try again, please.

That argument has nothing to do with a zero origin universe either.

Why computer
simulations which study how the density fluctuations grow with time
produce the observed large-scale structure? The power spectrum (hint:
I don't talk about the blackbody spectrum) of the CMBR, especially the
acoustic peak?

Every time I study the WMAP maps, all I can see is a well formed
universe that could have been there forever.

That has nothing to do with either of my two arguments above. Try
again, please.

But it has a lot to do with my argument. The all sky picture of the
universe from the zero origin is crystal clear. According to that
picture, matter is slowly clumping together, increasing the depth
of dimension, of space. The picture provides a remarkable insight
into how the matter content of the universe is evolving. The picture
at the very origin would have contained one infinitesimally minute
anisotropy within a completely black background. A universe with
zero anisotropy would not exist.

The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect? The integrated
Sachs-Wolfe effect

I wasn't aware of the Sachs-Wolf effect. Thanks.

But you were aware of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect?

No, not until you mentioned it.
A quick search at the time found only this sentence;
"Fluctuations arising from the Sunnyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) effect,
the up-scattering of the background spectrum by both the hot gas
surrounding galaxy clusters and the peculiar velocity of the
cluster, should be observable on spatial scales of around 3
arcminutes." (I've lost the link. I'll post it next time) According
to that sentence the effect has yet to be noted, or is already
factored in as a component within the anisotropy. It really doesn't
have any more relevance to my argument than the Sachs-Wolfe effect
though.

[...]

The fact that a photon wavelength changes according to local
gravitational potential may have been confirmed, but not the
*assumption* that they gain or lose energy in the process.

Consider this; Two adjacent straight lengths of equally spaced
billiard balls, labeled (1) and (2), are set in motion along the
line of their pointing direction. Train (1) travels a straight line
through free space while train (2) is set to run the gauntlet of a
deepening gravitational potential well. Along the journey to the
deepest part of the well on (2)'s travels, space-time will be
stretching and will of course extend its train length. But because
the well is still deepening, (2)'s departure from the well will be
further restrained than if the well was constant. However, when (1)
and (2) are returned to the same space-time environment they will
still measure the same length. The additional restraining forces
applied by the deepening well are applied equally to each billiard
ball along train (2). Nothing will change.

Now replace the billiard balls with photons. Either the speed of
light in not isotropic over the train length, or the photons overlap
to accommodate their added wavelengths????

Not wishing to break from the subject, but the concept of photons
as particles has no place in the zero origin universe.

It would be
hard to explain where the trailing edge of a very long wavetrain
in the visible light spectrum might be stored while it's waiting
for the extended train length in front of it to exit the potential
well.

What makes you think that this trailing edge has to be stored
somewhere and has to wait?

-----
-----

The polarization found in the CMBR that you refer to in your
follow-up post is a question I need to address.

http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/02/020918.carlstrom.shtml
http://astro.uchicago.edu/dasi/polexpert/

Could it be caused
by light bouncing around a rotation polarized universe (if it can
be termed thus)?

Don't merely speculate. Address the results. Quantitatively.

I'll need time of course.

-----

Max Keon
Old March 29th 05, 05:21 PM

For why mature galaxies are observed so soon after the Big
Bang, see Robert Karl Stonjek's Dark Time hypothesis:
"Article: Most distant galaxy cluster yet is revealed"
(sci.physics, 2 March).

I propose a non-BBT explanation for the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich
effect. But first . . .

Bjoern, what do you think of the failure to find evidence for
the transverse proximity effect with a foreground quasar?

http://astroneu.com/plasma-redshift-1/#TPE

The conventional view is that the quasars must be turning on
and off, or have very short lifetimes. I think a better
explanation is that the quasars are not located where the BBT
says they are - due to most of the redshift of their light,
including probably most or all of the Lyman alpha forest,
occurring in space near to them. My best guess is that this
occurs due to some kind of plasma redshift or sparse particle
redshift mechanism.

If the BBT is true, then the quasars are exactly where the
conventional researchers say they are, and therefore the
quasars must have very limited lifetimes in order to have not
ionized the neutral H in their vicinity, which these
researchers believe they observe in the Lyman alpha forest of
the background quasar. (The conventional researchers
generally reject the other two explanations: very narrow
quasar beaming and some kind of shielding effect, which is
much the same as beaming.) The researchers do not seem to
consider that these observations constitute a good challenge
to the theory that the redshift of quasars is due to
Doppler / expansion of the Universe. (I wrote to them about
this a year ago and got no response.)

Do you think quasars have such short lifetimes or such low
duty cycles as to not generally ionize neutral H in their
vicinity?

As far as I know, quasars were not generally considered to
have short lifetimes until this lack of TPE business arose.
If quasars are the same as, or cousins to, "radio galaxies"
then its hard to imagine them having such short lifetimes
since (according to BBT theories) these radio galaxies have
such huge lobes that they must have been running continually
for very long periods of time.

Here is a hypothesis I made up a year ago, regarding the CMB
and the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect. (See above URL.)

The CMB is produced by the graveyard of black dwarfs and
their collision fragments, produced from dead stars over
countless billennia (many galaxies are very old indeed -
this is a non-BBT theory). These spin out of the plane of
the spiral galaxy since they survive close encounters, which
would rip active stars apart due to tidal forces. This halo
of dead cold solid matter constitutes the dark matter which
explains galactic rotation curves. Over time (we have lots
of time . . . ) they attain the average radiative
temperature of the Universe, which is about the same
temperature as the CMB. (So far, this theory, or most of
was not first proposed by me - sorry I can't find the URL of
the site of the chap who proposed this a few years ago.)

To this model, I add redshift of the CMB as it passes
through the void IGM - for instance due to a plasma or
sparse particle redshift mechanism. By the way, I am
considering redshift mechanisms which do not necessarily
involve loss of energy - just the change in the short
impulse length em wave so that more quanta of lower energies
are delivered. (I reject the "photon" - one quantum of
energy lost to one quantum of energy received, without
interaction with the emr caused by other quanta - view of
electromagnetic radiation - but that's another story.)

In my hypothesis, CMB from galaxies beyond a nearer galaxy
(or galaxy cluster) will generally be redshifted compared to
the contribution of CMB coming from nearer galaxy's black
dwarf halo. Therefore we observe somewhat hotter CMB from
the vicinity of the nearby galaxy or cluster - which is my
understanding of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect.

I haven't studies the Sachs-Wolfe effect. The supposed
precision of the BBT theory of CMB doesn't impress me or
many other critics. It can be easy to think of other
explanations - and then, with sufficient effort, to
fine-tune them to observations too.

- Robin http://astroneu.com http://www.firstpr.com.au
Old March 30th 05, 09:59 AM

Max, I looked at your page:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mkeon/the1-1a.html

and had the same experience I have with many contrarian
physics sites - too many things seemed to make no plausible
sense and I couldn't find a reason for looking at any of it
in sufficient detail to assemble a critique.

If, as I understand, your theory is different from that of
conventional Big Bang cosmology, and if you suggest yours is
a better theory, then I think you should be able to point
out which observations the BBT fails to properly explain,
and how yours offers a better explanation.

Can you list such observations? You don't need to explain
your theory - just present evidence that the BBT predicts
things different from what is observed. Or are you simply
arguing that your explanations are more elegant than the
BBT's - with exactly the same predictions?

Progress in science can involve simply disproving someone
else's theory. Its not necessary to have a better one -
though it is nice if you do.

- Robin http://astroneu.com http://www.firstpr.com.au
Old March 30th 05, 09:59 AM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

Max Keon wrote:
Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:

Max Keon wrote:

Bjoern Feuerbacher wrote:

Max Keon wrote:

[snip]

The contents of this link http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mkeon/cmb.html
is an extract from a theory which describes a universe that
originated from absolutely nothing, and it provides an alternative
explanation for the CMBR.

Can it explain why the spectrum of the CMBR is such a nice blackbody,
without any spectral lines?

Yes.

Your link above goes to a page which mainly contains curves and not
many explanations, as far as I can see. Could you please explain here
shortly what the source of the CMBR is in your model,

As I previously indicated, to "explain here shortly" is almost
impossible. But the rest of my reply may help.

We'll see.

and why it has a blackbody spectrum?

It's based on temperature change of the universe throughout its
evolution from the zero origin. It has the spectrum of the CMBR,
just like your theory does.

How could "temperature change of the universe throughout its evolution
from the zero origin" explain the existence and the blackbody spectrum
of the CMBR?

Why its temperature changes with time in accordance with the
predictions of the BBT?

The BBT predicts a blackbody curve, but not the specific temperature
of course.

Err, that was not my point. Read again what I actually wrote, please.
I did not talk about temperature - I talked about *changes* in
temperature.

The temperature at the origin was zero.

That's contrary to observations, which show that the temperature was
*greater* in the past. See the link shortly below.

The universe is evolving.

Finally something we agree on.

Its temperature is increasing at a logarithmic rate, hence the
^1.12 adjustment

How do you get from a logarithmic temperature increase to a factor ^1.12?

to each (equally spaced relative to a fixed time
zone) curve generated from the Planck equation,
#=((8*pi*h*f^3)/(c^2*(EXP((h*f)/(k*t))-1))) ^1.12

In order to apply the Planck equation, you need something material
which is in thermal equilibrium. What is this in your model? In the
standard BB scenario, it was the plasma which filled the early universe.

BTW, the Planck curve to the power of 1.12 does not give a blackbody
curve again. You even have problems with the units there!

The ^1.12 exponent is near enough to constant for the blackbody plot
of the universe that we can meaningfully comprehend.

I have no clue what this is supposed to mean.

It would have
been infinitesimally greater than 1 for the plot at the origin.

Why?

So there's still a long way left for us to go.

See e.g. he
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/stdystat.htm#Tvsz

I notice you did not bother to address this.

[snip more irrelevant arguments]

The fact that if the CMBR
is assumed to have a cosmological origin, the parameters we derive
from it (Hubble parameter, density of dark energy etc.) are nicely
consistent with determinations using other methods?

Dark matter can certainly be explained, if it's required.

That has nothing to do with my argument above. Try again, please.

That argument has nothing to do with a zero origin universe either.

It is an argument about observational evidence for the BBT. So if you
claim that you can explain all the evidence which the BBT can explain,
you need to address this. Why don't you bother?

Why computer
simulations which study how the density fluctuations grow with time
produce the observed large-scale structure? The power spectrum (hint:
I don't talk about the blackbody spectrum) of the CMBR, especially the
acoustic peak?

Every time I study the WMAP maps, all I can see is a well formed
universe that could have been there forever.

That has nothing to do with either of my two arguments above. Try
again, please.

But it has a lot to do with my argument.

So what? You claimed that you can explain all the evidence which the
BBT can explain. So why don't you address this?

The all sky picture of the
universe from the zero origin is crystal clear. According to that
picture, matter is slowly clumping together,

That's the same as the BBT says.

increasing the depth of dimension, of space.

That's incomprehensible.

The picture provides a remarkable insight
into how the matter content of the universe is evolving. The picture
at the very origin would have contained one infinitesimally minute
anisotropy

That's very close to what the BBT says.

within a completely black background.

That is contrary to the observations.

A universe with zero anisotropy would not exist.

Why not?

The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect? The integrated
Sachs-Wolfe effect

I wasn't aware of the Sachs-Wolf effect. Thanks.

But you were aware of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect?

No, not until you mentioned it.

So, we have now at least three pieces of evidence for the BB
explanation of the CMBR which you were not aware of. And please
keep in mind that I am by no means an expert in cosmology
- just a physicist with a private interest in cosmology. You should
think about what this might imply about the amount of evidence
you are not aware of...

A quick search at the time found only this sentence;
"Fluctuations arising from the Sunnyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) effect,
the up-scattering of the background spectrum by both the hot gas
surrounding galaxy clusters and the peculiar velocity of the
cluster, should be observable on spatial scales of around 3
arcminutes." (I've lost the link. I'll post it next time) According
to that sentence the effect has yet to be noted, or is already
factored in as a component within the anisotropy.

The quote you give above is outdated. Look at the link I provide
below. The effect *has* been observed.

It really doesn't
have any more relevance to my argument than the Sachs-Wolfe effect
though.

Err, both are effects which are explained by the BB model for the
CMBR. So why do you think you can simply ignore these two effects?

If yes, could
you please outline how your model explains the observations?

I notice that you don't bother to do that.

But what's to explain? The zero origin universe works just fine.

Well, then please show how your model explains these two effects.
Quantitatively.

I notice that you don't bother to do that.

What evidence supports that effect anyway?

Which one? Sunyaev-Zel'dovich or integrated Sachs-Wolfe?

For the first one, see e.g. he
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~aas/tenmeter/sz.htm

I notice that you choose to ignore that.

For the second, see e.g. he
astro-ph/0307335

I notice that you choose to ignore that.

The assumption seem to
be that photons behave like matter when in gravitational potential
wells, that they can gain or lose energy, but by contracting or
extending their wavelengths.

Err, that is not an assumption. That has actually been experimentally
confirmed. Both in the lab and in astronomical observations.

If a photon is moving through a
deepening potential well, it will exit the well with an extended
wavelength (I think). But that is clearly impossible.

Well, then why has this been observed?

The fact that a photon wavelength changes according to local
gravitational potential may have been confirmed, but not the
*assumption* that they gain or lose energy in the process.

So you disagree with E=hf? Or with f=c/lambda?

If you don't disagree with both, then you get E=hc/lambda, i.e.
every change in wavelength is equivalent to a change in energy.

Consider this; Two adjacent straight lengths of equally spaced
billiard balls, labeled (1) and (2), are set in motion along the
line of their pointing direction.

That has little to do with photons and light.

Train (1) travels a straight line
through free space while train (2) is set to run the gauntlet of a
deepening gravitational potential well. Along the journey to the
deepest part of the well on (2)'s travels, space-time will be
stretching and will of course extend its train length. But because
the well is still deepening, (2)'s departure from the well will be
further restrained than if the well was constant. However, when (1)
and (2) are returned to the same space-time environment they will
still measure the same length.

Why should they?

The additional restraining forces
applied by the deepening well are applied equally to each billiard
ball along train (2). Nothing will change.

I can't follow your logic. What "restraining forces"?

Now replace the billiard balls with photons.

That would be a false analogy.

Either the speed of
light in not isotropic over the train length, or the photons overlap
to accommodate their added wavelengths????

"their" added wavelengths? Due to grammar, the "their" seems to refer
to the photons. But photons do not have wavelengths. Only
electromagnetic waves have wavelengths. So, what are you talking about?

Not wishing to break from the subject, but the concept of photons
as particles has no place in the zero origin universe.

Well, then how do you explain the photo effect and the Compton effect?
(quantitatively!)

[snip more of that]

The polarization found in the CMBR that you refer to in your
follow-up post is a question I need to address.

http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/02/020918.carlstrom.shtml
http://astro.uchicago.edu/dasi/polexpert/

Could it be caused
by light bouncing around a rotation polarized universe (if it can
be termed thus)?

Don't merely speculate. Address the results. Quantitatively.

I'll need time of course.

While you are at it, you can also look at all the stuff you ignored
above.

Bye,
Bjoern
Old March 30th 05, 10:00 AM
Bjoern Feuerbacher

For why mature galaxies are observed so soon after the Big
Bang, see Robert Karl Stonjek's Dark Time hypothesis:
"Article: Most distant galaxy cluster yet is revealed"
(sci.physics, 2 March).

I propose a non-BBT explanation for the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich
effect. But first . . .

Bjoern, what do you think of the failure to find evidence for
the transverse proximity effect with a foreground quasar?

http://astroneu.com/plasma-redshift-1/#TPE

I am not an astronomer, just a physicist with cosmology as his
"hobby", so I am not really qualified to comment on this.

But I would like to point out that
1) apparently only very few quasars were examined this far, and
we should wait for more data before jumping to conclusions, and
2) The second explanation offered by the researchers (the foreground
quasar's energy is beamed) looks quite sensible to me.

The author does not bother to explain why that second xplanation does
not work (as far as I can see); he merely claims that all three
explanations "are all highly unlikely, or at least at odds with
reasonable interpretations of other observations."

The conventional view is that the quasars must be turning on
and off, or have very short lifetimes.

Don't know about that.

I think a better
explanation is that the quasars are not located where the BBT
says they are - due to most of the redshift of their light,
including probably most or all of the Lyman alpha forest,
occurring in space near to them. My best guess is that this
occurs due to some kind of plasma redshift or sparse particle
redshift mechanism.

When you can more than just guess, i.e. when you can provide
a quantitative explanation how this works, and how this explains
all the observed evidence, please send me a note.

If the BBT is true, then the quasars are exactly where the
conventional researchers say they are,

I wouldn't say that the two statements depend so strongly on
each other.

and therefore the
quasars must have very limited lifetimes in order to have not
ionized the neutral H in their vicinity, which these
researchers believe they observe in the Lyman alpha forest of
the background quasar. (The conventional researchers
generally reject the other two explanations: very narrow
quasar beaming and some kind of shielding effect, which is
much the same as beaming.) The researchers do not seem to
consider that these observations constitute a good challenge
to the theory that the redshift of quasars is due to
Doppler / expansion of the Universe. (I wrote to them about
this a year ago and got no response.)

As the author of that page, you seem to have a misconception
about cosmological redshift: cosmologists do *not* say think
that it is due to the Doppler effect.
http://www.astronomycafe.net/cosm/expan.html

Why the researchers do not consider that to be a challenge to
the BBT? Probably due to the simple fact that the BBT is very
well established and supported by observations - and before
one begins to question such a well-established theory, one
first looks for errors in other parts of one's assumptions.

Do you think quasars have such short lifetimes or such low
duty cycles as to not generally ionize neutral H in their
vicinity?

I don't have enough knowledge of quasars to judge that.

[snip]

Here is a hypothesis I made up a year ago, regarding the CMB
and the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect. (See above URL.)

The CMB is produced by the graveyard of black dwarfs and
their collision fragments, produced from dead stars over
countless billennia (many galaxies are very old indeed -

Why don't we see stars older than about 13 billion years then?

this is a non-BBT theory). These spin out of the plane of
the spiral galaxy since they survive close encounters, which
would rip active stars apart due to tidal forces. This halo
of dead cold solid matter constitutes the dark matter which
explains galactic rotation curves.

If you can explain with this model the observed rotation
curves *quantitatively*, feel free to show your work.

Over time (we have lots
of time . . . ) they attain the average radiative
temperature of the Universe, which is about the same
temperature as the CMB.

What is the "average radiative temperature of the universe"?

(So far, this theory, or most of
was not first proposed by me - sorry I can't find the URL of
the site of the chap who proposed this a few years ago.)

To this model, I add redshift of the CMB as it passes
through the void IGM - for instance due to a plasma or
sparse particle redshift mechanism.

See my note above wrt guessing.

By the way, I am
considering redshift mechanisms which do not necessarily
involve loss of energy - just the change in the short
impulse length em wave so that more quanta of lower energies
are delivered. (I reject the "photon" - one quantum of
energy lost to one quantum of energy received, without
interaction with the emr caused by other quanta - view of
electromagnetic radiation - but that's another story.)

Feel free to explain the photo effect and the Compton effect.
Quantitatively.

In my hypothesis, CMB from galaxies beyond a nearer galaxy
(or galaxy cluster) will generally be redshifted compared to
the contribution of CMB coming from nearer galaxy's black
dwarf halo.

Why?

Therefore we observe somewhat hotter CMB from
the vicinity of the nearby galaxy or cluster - which is my
understanding of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect.

Feel free to come up with a quantitative explanation, instead
of just handwaving.

I haven't studies the Sachs-Wolfe effect. The supposed
precision of the BBT theory of CMB doesn't impress me or
many other critics.

Interestingly, most of the critics are not aware of most of
the evidence...

It can be easy to think of other explanations

Yes. Making up stories without bothering to do actual
quantitative checks is very easy indeed.

- and then, with sufficient effort, to
fine-tune them to observations too.

"fine-tune them to observations, too"? Please point out
what fine-tuning to observations was done in the BBT.

Bye,
Bjoern
Old March 30th 05, 06:06 PM

Bjoern,

It doesn't matter whether the redshift of distant objects
under the BBT is called "Doppler" or something else. The
point is that apart from a little motion which is relative
to nearby objects, and a little gravitational redshift, the
BBT says that there is no redshift mechanism other than the
expansion of the Universe.

Therefore, the foreground and background quasars in the
Quasar-Quasar Transverse Proximity Effect work:

http://astroneu.com/plasma-redshift-1/#TPE

are, according to the BBT, at distances which can be so
reliably estimated that researchers can be sure that a
specific portion of the Lyman alpha absorption in the
background quasar's spectrum occurred at the same distance
from Earth as that of the foreground quasar. This places
that section of the path from the background quasar at a
distance from the foreground quasar which can be directly
calculated from the angle between the quasars on the sky,
and the distance to the foreground quasar, which depends on
the cosmological parameters used to convert redshift to
distance.

Contrary to their expectations, the researchers find
absorption in those parts of the spectrum corresponding to
this locality. They expected an absence of absorption
due to the foreground quasar radiating UV approximately
anisotropically and thereby ionising any hydrogen in the
area.

If the BBT is correct, then the quasar redshifts must be
attributable only to their position in the expanding
Universe - so the researcher's estimates of their distance
must be accurate. So if the BBT is correct, we must
conclude either that the foreground quasar is very narrowly
beamed (either in its intrinsic pattern of radiation or due
to some kind of shielding arrangement) or that a short time
before it emitted the light we observe, it was not emitting
sufficient UV to ionize the local hydrogen. This time
corresponds to the distance between it and the path from
the background quasar.

The researchers find this a difficult choice - and in their
papers discount beaming and shielding, for reasons which
seem reasonable to me: the beaming would have to be
implausably narrow. Rather then question their theory
about the nature of the redshift (probably because they
consider their knowledge to be a fact, rather than a
theory), and therefore question their estimates of distances
to the quasars, they conclude that the foreground quasar
wasn't radiating at a time which would have altered
absorption in the background quasar's spectrum for the light
we observe today.

No matter whether they chose beaming/shielding or a short
lifetime for each quasar (perhaps including low duty-cycles
of on/off radiation) they have a major problem: all these
explanations involve the actual number of quasars being very
much larger than is usually estimated. Amongst other things,
revising this estimate of the abundance of quasars must
surely require some major revision of the now very detailed
interlocking network of quantitative theories which
constitute the current version of the Big Bang Theory.

My point is that these researchers, and it seems you too,
are pursuing a path of quasars being very narrow - in time
or beaming - for which there is no other obvious supporting
observations, when a much simpler explanation is that the
quasars are not located at the distances that the BBT says
they are.

If quasars are at distances closer than their BBT-predicted
redshift distances, then a bunch of other problems are
solved. For instance the rapid changes in output become
compatible with quasars of a smaller size and smaller output
once it can be admitted that quasars are closer than the
BBT says they are.

It only takes one piercing observation, correctly
interpreted, to disprove an entire theory. Its not like
in a democracy where opinions and numbers of votes matter.

The BBT predicts that the quasars and the neutral H is
exactly where these researchers think they are, but all
other observations indicate that quasars are not
exceedingly narrowly beamed and are not prone to having
short lifetimes.

Rather than question the BBT, the researchers - and you
too it seems - prefer to pursue a view of quasars which
is seems to be incompatible with theoretical
interpretations of a vast number of observations. While
I think these interpretations are badly skewed by over-
estimates of distance, I am not aware of any reason to
question the theories of quasars being big, long-lasting
and not narrowly beamed, at least in their UV radiation.

A lot of the problems with understanding quasars are due
to the BBT's insistence that they are at vast distances
due to their generally high redshift.

I suppose that if someone considers the BBT to be a
precise, well-developed, locked-together theory with few
observational challenges, then it would make sense to
be prepared to consider otherwise implausible things about
quasars. But other folk see the BBT as a big mess and can
tentatively imagine various other forms of redshift, which
would lead to theories with greater explanatory power.

It is not necessary for me to provide a new theory or any
quantitative material at all to make scientific progress.
All I need to do is disprove an existing theory. I say the
failure to find the TPE with a foreground quasar is a
disproof of the BBT.

It so happens that I am working on a redshift mechanism
which occurs in sparse plasmas or gasses. There is another
theory with comparable characteristics, by Ari Brynjolfsson.

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0401420

However I don't have to provide a replacement theory to
disprove the BBT.

Since the BBT causes a lot of problems in explaining
quasars, since there are no satisfactory conventional
explanations for astrophysically crucial processes such
as coronal heating and stellar wind acceleration, and
since the BBT relies on the notion that electromagnetic
radiation is not changed at all in terms of the quanta
of energy it deposits as it travels for billions of years
in sparse plasma, I say it is a very vulnerable theory.

You used the word "quantitative" five times in your response.
No-one needs any new theory, with or without quantitative
predictions, in order to show that the BBT is broken.

You wrote:

Why don't we see stars older than about 13 billion years
then?

Our knowledge of the age of stars is entirely theoretical.
We do not observe the age of stars.

I don't know enough about this area to point to evidence for
stars being older than this, but perhaps someone can. Since
most workers in this field depend entirely on funding
arrangements which would be threatened if they questioned
the prevailing paradigm - or if they produced results which
were obviously wrong according to that paradigm - it would
not surprise me if they generally failed to theorise, or at
least publish, stellar theories which indicate some stars
are older than whatever the age of the Universe was
considered to be at the time.

What is the "average radiative temperature of the
universe"?

I am not sure. Googling "average temperature of the
universe" yields lots of references to 2.7k or 3k. I
haven't investigated beyond this. The question is, if you
put a largish black object out in the middle of
intergalactic space, or on the edge of a galaxy, or in the
midst of a galaxy cluster and let it sit there for a long
time, what will its temperature be?

I don't make any great claims about my black dwarf
hypothesis for galactic missing mass and the CMB. (Does
anyone know of other such proposals? I think I was mistaken
about the site http://hometown.aol.com/wmitch8493/myhomepage/
I thought mentioned such a theory.) All I was saying is
that its not hard to think of half-way plausible
explanations which do not involve the Big Bang. Since the
BBT has no explanation for the galactic missing mass
(without recourse to exotic physics) and since the black
dwarf hypothesis looks promising, I suggest it as part of an
alternative set of theories which explains things better
than the BBT.

Guessing is a perfectly valid activity when contemplating
new explanations for observations which currently have
little or no explanation. I don't claim to have a solid
theory - just one that may interest some folk.

Feel free to explain the photo effect and the
Compton effect.

I'll let you know when I work up a good critique of the
photon idea. While I know it is attractive for considering
X-rays and electrons, I think it is not at all adequate for
a number of other aspects of electromagnetic radiation. I
think that the assumption that emr involves "photons" which
start at one point and end (with the magical collapse of
the wavefunction at another point) and which do not
interfere with each other at all, is a terrible mistake.

In my hypothesis, CMB from galaxies beyond a nearer
galaxy (or galaxy cluster) will generally be
redshifted compared to the contribution of CMB coming
from nearer galaxy's black dwarf halo.

Why?

By whatever sparse particle or plasma redshift mechanism I
propose is shifting the visible light of the galaxies and
quasars.

Therefore we observe somewhat hotter CMB from the
vicinity of the nearby galaxy or cluster - which is my
understanding of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect.

Feel free to come up with a quantitative explanation,
instead of just handwaving.

Suggesting a hypothesis which explains the observations
in principle is a constructive contribution - not
handwaving. A hypothesis doesn't have to be quantitative
to warrant consideration and provoke people to think of
better ideas than I suggest.

If we consider spiral galaxies to be vastly older than the
BBT allows, then what do you think of the idea of their
collapsed stellar remnants being so robust in close
gravitational encounters (compared to active stars) that
they are flung out to orbits wider and wider and not
aligned with the galactic plane? There, over time, I think
they would occasionally collide and so have a much larger
surface area than if they remained intact black dwarfs.

I do not expect anyone to accept this hypothesis seriously.
Its just a suggestion to show that there are other
explanations for the observations which do not depend on
the BBT.

Please point out what fine-tuning to observations was
done in the BBT.

1 - The so-called "Hubble Constant":

H_0: The Incredible Shrinking Constant, 1925-1975
Virginia Trimble, PASP v.108, p.1073-1082

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...ASP..108.1073T

2 - When new observations show that mature galaxy clusters
found at redshifts which (according to the BBT) date
them as being not long after the BB, BBT supporters
suggest contorting their theories of galaxy formation
into ever shorter timeframes rather than question the
validity of the BBT.

3 - When no transverse proximity effect is found with a
foreground quasar, BBT supporters pursue a line of
quasar theory which is at odds with all previous
interpretations of other types of observations,
rather than question whether redshift is really as
reliable an indicator of distance as the BBT says it
is.

The first example is a series of quantitative revisions,
each probably approximately as confidently made as today's
"13.7 +/-0.2 Gigayear" estimate.

The latter two are qualitative examples. These are
instances of BBT supporters choosing to revise existing
theories in dramatic ways - to the point where many
objections can easily be made and where the revisions are
destructive of some probably sensible existing theories -
rather than question the veracity of the BBT's insistence
on how substantial redshift can only be caused by Doppler,
expansion or whatever you want to call it.

- Robin http://astroneu.com http://www.firstpr.com.au