*** Is this stuff looking like ICE ?

Old May 26th 04, 10:56 AM
Greg Ruo

Default *** Is this stuff looking like ICE ?

Hi,

Can you please have a look at this image from Nasa Opportunity site:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...9P2298L2M1.JPG
(mind the wrap is there is any...)

from the lower right corner of the image, up to the center, there
looks to be a smooth reflective material.

The rocks and ground surrounding are rough and structured, what is
this smooth material made of ? Is this just sand ?

If this was a b/n picture from Earth, I would swear this is Ice.

Especially, note the region where the material borders with the
outcrop adjacent, lowert right. The color of the material looks
differentiated in that region... suggesting something like there is a
gap of air under the "ice".

Also remarkable is the cluster of dark ground, in the center left of
the image, near the central outcrop. That may suggest melted ice
wetting the ground underneath.

I have not experience in geology, so if you have better and more
reasonable explanations I will be glad to read about!

Cheers,

Greg Ruo
Old May 31st 04, 09:35 AM
Lush

Yes, it is looking like ice, I would say from 100 ft., with the wind
coming across it and shining it up. The balls scattered are old and
new debris mixed with ice?

I wouldn't say a gap under the ice, but that it has retracted from the
rock mound on the lower right, as well as the from the lighter
formation that runs right from the bottom left, suggesting that it is
melting and running out?

The 'river' could be running briskly towards the left, the sharp
divide could be a drop off at a close to straight angle. (Notice the
dark area again to the right of the one you refrred to - it could be
melt-off running under a 'plateau' between the two dark areas.)

I'm guessing, of course - but fun to look at while having a beer. L

Old May 31st 04, 09:35 AM
Lush

O, and look it this link http://www.xenotechresearch.com/mwater1.htm
for more colour and contrast. L

Old June 1st 04, 10:55 AM
Seventh Book

there are some good stuff at that sight.....lots of information on the
Endurance Crater....

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...EFF2809P2298L2