The Mosquito as space traveller

Old February 19th 09, 11:32 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Jan Panteltje

Default The Mosquito as space traveller

Mosquito survives 18 month in outer space on the ISS outside hull:
http://www.en.rian.ru/analysis/20090218/120203420.html

This has large implications, as now we can see that insects have the ability to travel on a space rock,
or just by themselves using gravity assist, to other planets.

The question now comes up:
Are the aliens already here, are those mosquitos the alien invaders,
sucking our blood, looking for planets with warm blooded lifeforms?

Old February 19th 09, 12:36 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Ian Parker

On 19 Feb, 10:32, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Mosquito survives 18 month in outer space on the ISS outside hull:
*http://www.en.rian.ru/analysis/20090218/120203420.html

This has large implications, as now we can see that insects have the ability to travel on a space rock,
or just by themselves using gravity assist, to other planets.

The question now comes up:
Are the aliens already here, are those mosquitos the alien invaders,
sucking our blood, looking for planets with warm blooded lifeforms?

No, the mosquito is part of the "tree of life". It therefore evolved
here on Earth. DNA has in fact been used to confirm the fossil record.

- Ian Parker
Old February 19th 09, 01:53 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Feb 2009 03:36:59 -0800 (PST)) it happened Ian Parker
wrote in
:

On 19 Feb, 10:32, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Mosquito survives 18 month in outer space on the ISS outside hull:
*http://www.en.rian.ru/analysis/20090218/120203420.html

This has large implications, as now we can see that insects have the abil=

ity to travel on a space rock,
or just by themselves using gravity assist, to other planets.

The question now comes up:
Are the aliens already here, are those mosquitos the alien invaders,
sucking our blood, looking for planets with warm blooded lifeforms?

No, the mosquito is part of the "tree of life". It therefore evolved
here on Earth. DNA has in fact been used to confirm the fossil record.

In fact we know very little of 'the tree', or better 'the origin' of life.
In panspermia (right word?) theories, I mean were earth was seeded by extraterrestrial
material, it is very possible that your DNA, or whatever is at the base of that
(there are many recent discoveries about how things work), came from
space.

I did see a movie once that had space-spiders, and those man-eating space spiders invaded a space ship,
and would just jump (remember no gravity) from one spaceship to the next, question of aiming correctly.

On could imagine an icy comet coming close to the sun, and those lifeforms waking up, thinking about that blue planet,
and doing the jump thing.
Those would, of course, not have studied Newton, but neither did we when we learned to throw
or catch a ball, our neural nets were designed by evolution to to so.

So, I will make no reservations here what can and what cannot be, or exist.

Science seems to have it wrong many, if not most, of the time.
Take dinosaurs for example, some idiot thinks (put your name here if you like),
that birds evolved from the dinosaurs.
Now I have never seen pigs fly, and a dinosaur flying would be something even less likely.
the dinosaur would have to have prior knowledge of aerodynamics, plus control
over its own genes, so it could phantasise wings on its offspring.

It is totally obvious to anyone with more then one neuron working and wired up correctly
(and that last thing is a rare event as our education system is forming parrot networks in the brain,
not logically analysing networks), that a bird could land, find a lot of food, and get used to living on
land, and with no need to fly to get food or reproduce, lose that ability, and become big and fat,
lose feathers, grows some harder skin, and become a dinosaur eventually.
Now _that_ makes sense.
In the same way, if life was formed not in the sea, but up in the higher
atmosphere, both sea and land life forms could evolve from it once it could find what it needed there.
So, yes, maybe the mosquitos are space invaders, and maybe we too.

Copyright Jan Panteltje 2009.
Nothing can be used from this article without mentioning the source.

Old February 19th 09, 05:25 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Tim BandTech.com

On Feb 19, 7:53 am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

There is a pretty good Nova on the evolution of birds from dinosaurs
that just aired again on WGBH.
Don't forget the cold blooded nature of reptiles and the insulating
quality of feathers.
It seems very credible that the first instance of feathers was for
insulation value.
From there a debate on whether those feathers were helpful to
accelerate or to decelerate.
Whether the first birds climbed trees and glided down or were flapping
arms to gain elevation against gravity. I'd say to predate living food
that glide path mentality makes an awful lot of sense as a surprise
attack. From there it only needs to be extended, the lightweight form
being superior to the heavyweight form.

Nice article link. Very interesting. So the cryogenic hype is the
wrong sci-fi. It will be candied humans in the next genre.
Old February 19th 09, 06:33 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Uncle Al

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Mosquito survives 18 month in outer space on the ISS outside hull:
http://www.en.rian.ru/analysis/20090218/120203420.html

This has large implications, as now we can see that insects have the ability to travel on a space rock,
or just by themselves using gravity assist, to other planets.

[snip crap]

"placed a gray cylinder with 24 cups containing barley seeds,
bacteria, crustaceans (Dafnia Magna), bloodworm larvae [the
"mosquitoes"] and other biological objects, on the outer ISS surface."

Big ****ing deal. Walt Disney's head is floating in liquid nitrogen
under the Indiana Jones ride, waiting for the sun to bloat.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old February 19th 09, 06:55 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Edward Green

On Feb 19, 5:32*am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Mosquito survives 18 month in outer space on the ISS outside hull:
*http://www.en.rian.ru/analysis/20090218/120203420.html

This has large implications, as now we can see that insects have the ability to travel on a space rock,
or just by themselves using gravity assist, to other planets.

The question now comes up:
Are the aliens already here, are those mosquitos the alien invaders,
sucking our blood, looking for planets with warm blooded lifeforms?

It does seem incredible that this mosquito had adaptations for
surviving drought which would allow it to survive in the even harsher
environment of space.
Old February 19th 09, 07:32 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Deirdre Sholto Douglas

Edward Green wrote:

On Feb 19, 5:32*am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Mosquito survives 18 month in outer space on the ISS outside hull:
*http://www.en.rian.ru/analysis/20090218/120203420.html

This has large implications, as now we can see that insects have the ability to travel on a space rock,
or just by themselves using gravity assist, to other planets.

The question now comes up:
Are the aliens already here, are those mosquitos the alien invaders,
sucking our blood, looking for planets with warm blooded lifeforms?

It does seem incredible that this mosquito had adaptations for
surviving drought which would allow it to survive in the even harsher
environment of space.

Insects are one of the more prevalent practitioners of
diapause...unusally in a larval state, but some practice
it as adults. The mosquito appears to be one of the
latter so survival of extreme temperatures and/or
desiccation might not be as unusual as it seems at
first glance.

Deirdre
Old February 19th 09, 08:18 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Ian Parker

On 19 Feb, 12:53, Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

No, I go by Occam. Evolution (and everything else for that matter) has
taken place in the last 13.7 billion years. I say this because in the
steady state theory you have panspermia because any event, no matter
how improbable must have occurred once. We could have neen formed
complete - just once.

In the Big Bang evolution has a restricted time. If the first cell did
not evolve on Earth, where did it evolve? It was 13.7 billion years in
the other place too. This is what I mean by Occam. Occam (in effect)
states that the simplest form of evolution is evolution on Earth.
Therefore we must assume that to be the case.

What about the RNA world hypothesis? This states that if you have RNA
Evolution states and RNA must be considered therefore to be the first
life. The RNA hypothesis may be right, may be wrong. It is though a
theory of the origin of life which is consistent with the Big Bang.

The tree of life in fact converges to one point. Does this mean that
there was one organism at the origin of life. No, in fact it does not.
What is inplied though is that only one ancient organism has survived
to the present day. Most life is after all extinct. The tree of life
does not therefore invalidate RNA. RNA inplicitly assumes different
types at each stage of life. All these types are now extinct.

Lastly were dinosaurs warm blooded. We say they were reptiles and
hence cold bloodied. In fact the dinosauria are a distict class of
their own. The only non extinct dinosaurs (birds) are not bloodied. I
am inclined to believe that the Ornithpods (including T Rex) were warm
blooded. Now someone argue against that.

- Ian Parker
Old February 19th 09, 08:44 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:18:51 -0800 (PST)) it happened Ian Parker
wrote in
:

.
In panspermia (right word?) theories, I mean were earth was seeded by ext=

raterrestrial
material, it is very possible that your DNA, or whatever is at the base o=

f that
(there are many recent discoveries about how things work), came from
space.

No, I go by Occam. Evolution (and everything else for that matter) has
taken place in the last 13.7 billion years. I say this because in the
steady state theory you have panspermia because any event, no matter
how improbable must have occurred once. We could have neen formed
complete - just once.

Yes, but

In the Big Bang evolution has a restricted time. If the first cell did
not evolve on Earth, where did it evolve? It was 13.7 billion years in
the other place too. This is what I mean by Occam. Occam (in effect)
states that the simplest form of evolution is evolution on Earth.
Therefore we must assume that to be the case.

if you take the big bang as the beginning.
It seems to me, and maybe here I am again in conflict with current 'science', that
to call 'big bang' the beginning, is like somebody saying any supernova was the beginning.
It may be the beginning for what science can see today, but maybe we live in a space
(I avoid the word 'universe here, as that has so many concepts hung on to it),
so say a 'space', where many, perhaps billions of 'Big Bang' like events happened.
What was before, and what came after... will we ever know?
The timescales involved, and what already can exist out there, imagine,
200 *years* ago we had no radio, no TV, no cellphones, no airplanes, no real machines.
If big bang was _not_ the beginning, would not some alien civilisation - to stay in the current thinking
of what we think perhaps *could* be done, have engineered some DNA, RNA, maybe even some
pre-programmed virus, programmed in such a way as to carry our construction plans and spread it
around that space (universe if you must)....

[...]

There are many more issues with dinosaurs, why were they so big?
It takes an incredible amount of force to walk if you are so heavy, was gravity lower?
Was the air pressure much higher? Were they half under water?
Maybe the old earth was much smaller, with hardly any water, and some big comet hit it,
driving the continents apart, creating oceans, increasing gravity, that killing all the huge
animals.
Just a thought...

Old February 19th 09, 10:02 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Tim BandTech.com

On Feb 19, 1:32 pm, Deirdre Sholto Douglas
wrote:
Edward Green wrote:

[...]

A study in Science magazine within the last year considered mosses
which undergo dessication regularly on the surface of say a sunny
rock. They have the abilities you've described to survive extreme
environmental situations.

I ponder the lichen covered asteroid rolling lazily through space,
emitting the occasional spore and basking in an occasional sun aligned
in a vapor stream of some burning planet.

Aha! could this be a catch to the mosquito concept? To enter the
planets atmosphere is must undergo the same buffeting force that the
reentry vehicles undergo? Then even hidden away is some inner bit of
an asteroid how hot does it get? As far as asteroid belt life goes
things may be well, but as far as a recent planetary infestation it is
not so likely, until they evolve such abilities.

In gas clouds isn't it possible that the vacuum of space is a
falsehood? Then flying creatures of all forms may come and go as
amoebas or whatever, just flitting about in a gas cloud without a care
how long it takes to network up or head on out. Planetary forms are
then optional.

- Tim