What if? (on man made eclipses)

Old February 17th 08, 12:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Default What if? (on man made eclipses)

What if we could make an eclipse on stars that are close to us? I'm
thinking if we could block the Sun's disk we might be able to detect the
reflected light of the planets making up its solar system. Could a
coronagraph be used for close stars? Bert

Old February 17th 08, 08:27 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
What if we could make an eclipse on stars that are close to us? I'm
thinking if we could block the Sun's disk we might be able to detect the
reflected light of the planets making up its solar system. Could a
coronagraph be used for close stars? Bert

Do you think that distant stars cause anything of a glare,
enough to obscure the light of orbiting planets?

Old February 17th 08, 10:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Zyp

Mark Earnest wrote:
"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
What if we could make an eclipse on stars that are close to us? I'm
thinking if we could block the Sun's disk we might be able to detect
the reflected light of the planets making up its solar system. Could a
coronagraph be used for close stars? Bert

Do you think that distant stars cause anything of a glare,
enough to obscure the light of orbiting planets?

And what's close? 200 LY?

--
Zyp

Old February 17th 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"Zyp" wrote in message
news:x5OdnSBq9qoaLSXanZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
Mark Earnest wrote:
"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
What if we could make an eclipse on stars that are close to us? I'm
thinking if we could block the Sun's disk we might be able to detect
the reflected light of the planets making up its solar system. Could a
coronagraph be used for close stars? Bert

Do you think that distant stars cause anything of a glare,
enough to obscure the light of orbiting planets?

And what's close? 200 LY?

Close enough for us to easily be able to go there.
200 LY is just fine.

Old February 17th 08, 11:11 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Mark Yes,and not sure at all that we can create an eclipse if the
planet is close to its star. We have our problems with Mercury right
here in our back yard Bert

Old February 17th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Zyp Lets start with just a distance of 25 LY Bert

Old February 19th 08, 05:59 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

You keep bringing this topic up, BEERTbrain! An interferometer works
better.

Saul Levy