Daily # 3972

Old October 28th 05, 04:01 PM
Joe Cooper

Default Daily # 3972

DAILY REPORT # 3972

PERIOD COVERED: UT October 21,22.23, 2005 (DOY 294,295,296)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8793

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 4

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in parallel
in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be non-standard
reference files available to users with a USEAFTER date/time mark. The
keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to the header of each
POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated with the time, in
addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8 times per day so
each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate time specified, for
users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw and processed images
will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we expect that all NICMOS
science/calibration observations started within 50 minutes of leaving an
SAA will need such maps to remove the CR persistence from the science
images. Each observation will need its own CRMAP, as different SAA
passages leave different imprints on the NICMOS detectors.

ACS/SBC 10739

Internal Flat Field Stability

The stability of the CCD flat fields will be monitored using the
calibration lamps and a sub-sample of the filter set. For the SBC
imaging filters, differences in the low-frequency flat field structure
with wavelength will be assessed. New high signal P-flats will be
obtained for the SBC prisms.

ACS/HRC 10738

Earth Flats

Sky flats will be obtained by observing the bright Earth with the HRC
and WFC. These observations will be used to verify the accuracy of the
flats currently in the pipeline and to monitor any changes. Weekly
coronagraphic monitoring is required to assess the changing position of
the spots.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10729

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in
ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to create
reference files for science calibration. This programme will be for the
entire lifetime of ACS. Changes from cycle 13:- The default gain for WFC
is 2 e-/DN. As before bias frames will be collected for both gain 1 and
gain 2. Dark frames are acquired using the default gain {2}. This
program cover the period Oct, 2 2005- May, 29-2006. The second half of
the program has a different proposal number: 10758.

ACS/WFC/NIC3 10632

Searching for galaxies at z6.5 in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field

We propose to obtain deep ACS {F606W, F775W, F850LP} imaging in the area
of the original Hubble Ultra Deep Field NICMOS parallel fields and -
through simultaneous parallel observations - deep NICMOS {F110W, F160W}
imaging of the ACS UDF area. Matching the extreme imaging depth in the
optical and near-IR bands will result in seven fields with sufficiently
sensitive multiband data to detect the expected typical galaxies at z=7
and 8. Presently no such a field exist. Our combined optical and near-IR
ultradeep fields will be in three areas separated by about 20 comoving
Mpc at z=7. This will allow us to give a first assessment of the degree
of cosmic variance. If reionization is a process extending over a large
redshift interval and the luminosity function doesn't evolve strongly
beyond z=6, these data will allow us to identify of the order of a dozen
galaxies at 6.5z8.5 - using the Lyman break technique - and to place a
first constrain on the luminosity function at z6.5. Conversely, finding
fewer objects would be an indication that the bulk of reionization is
done by galaxies at z=6. By spending 204 orbits of prime HST time we
will capitalize on the investment of 544 prime orbits already made on
the Hubble Ultra Deep Field {UDF}. We have verified that the program as
proposed is schedulable and that it will remain so even if forced to
execute in the 2-gyro mode. The data will be non-proprietary and the
reduced images will be made public within 2 months from the completion
of the observations.

ACS/WFC 10626

A Snapshot Survey of Brightest Cluster Galaxies and Strong Lensing to z
= 0.9

We propose an ACS/WFC snapshot survey of the cores of 150 rich galaxy
clusters at 0.3 z 0.9 from the Red Sequence Cluster Survey {RCS}. An
examination of the galaxian light in the brightest cluster galaxies,
coupled with a statistical analysis of the strong-lensing properties of
the sample, will allow us to contrain the evolution of both the baryonic
and dark mass in cluster cores, over an unprecedented redshift range and
sample size. In detail, we will use the high- resolution ACS images to
measure the metric {10 kpc/h} luminosity and morphological disturbances
around the brightest clusters galaxies, in order to calibrate their
accretion history in comparison to recent detailed simulations of
structure formation in cluster cores. These images will also yield a
well-defined sample of arcs formed by strong lensing by these clusters;
the frequency and detailed distribution {size, multiplicity, redshifts}
of these strong lens systems sets strong constraints on the total mass
content {and its structure} in the centers of the clusters. These data
will also be invaluable in the study of the morphological evolution and
properties of cluster galaxies over a significant redshift range. These
analyses will be supported by extensive ongoing optical and
near-infrared imaging, and optical spectroscopy at Magellan, VLT and
Gemini telescopes, as well as host of smaller facilities.

FGS 10610

Astrometric Masses of Extrasolar Planets and Brown Dwarfs

We propose observations with HST/FGS to estimate the astrometric
elements {perturbation orbit semi-major axis and inclination} of
extra-solar planets orbiting six stars. These companions were originally
detected by radial velocity techniques. We have demonstrated that FGS
astrometry of even a short segment of reflex motion, when combined with
extensive radial velocity information, can yield useful inclination
information {McArthur et al. 2004}, allowing us to determine companion
masses. Extrasolar planet masses assist in two ongoing research
frontiers. First, they provide useful boundary conditions for models of
planetary formation and evolution of planetary systems. Second, knowing
that a star in fact has a plantary mass companion, increases the value
of that system to future extrasolar planet observation missions such as
SIM PlanetQuest, TPF, and GAIA.

ACS/WFC 10596

AGNs with Intermediate-mass Black Holes: A Test of the Black Hole-Bulge
Paradigm

The recent progress in the study of central black holes in galactic
nuclei has led to a general consensus that supermassive {10^6-10^9 solar
mass} black holes are closely connected with the formation and
evolutionary history of large galaxies, especially their bulge
component. Two outstanding issues, however, remain unresolved. Can
central black holes form in the absence of a bulge? And does the mass
function of central black holes extend below 10^6 solar masses?
Intermediate-mass black holes {10^4-10^6 solar masses}, if they exist,
may offer important clues to the nature of the seeds of supermassive
black holes. In a first systematic search using the Sloan Digital Sky
Survey, we have recently discovered 19 Type 1 AGNs with candidate
intermediate-mass black holes that reside in low-luminosity, presumably
late-type host galaxies. Follow-up observations with Keck indicate that
these objects obey the low-mass extension of the well-known correlation
between black hole mass and bulge stellar velocity dispersion. However,
very little is known about the host galaxies themselves, including the
crucial question of whether they have bulges or not. We propose to
obtain ACS/WFC images of this unique sample of AGNs in order to
investigate the detailed structural properties of the host galaxies. We
are particularly keen to determine whether the hosts contain bulges, and
if so, where they lie on the fundamental plane of spheroids compared to
the bulges of supermassive black holes. We will also be able to measure
an accurate optical luminosity for the AGN, which is an essential
ingredient to improve the current mass estimates.

ACS/WFC 10576

An ACS Imaging Survey of the Galaxies Hosting Strong Mg II Absorption

Strong MgII absorbers {with rest-frame absorption equivalent width
W_MgII 0.3 A} at redshift z 1 are known to arise in extended gaseous
halos around luminous galaxies. Detailed absorption line studies based
on high-solution spectra of background quasars yield tight constraints
on the metallicity, ionization state, and kinematics of the gaseous
clouds. But whether they originate in gas accreted from surrounding
satellite galaxies or outflows associated with active starburst in the
host galaxies remains unclear. We have recently completed a search of
the Sloan Digital Sky Survey data archive for strong MgII absorbers and
identified over 1000 new systems that are previously unknown. A subset
of these MgII absorbers with W_MgII 1.8 A exhibit extreme kinematics
with velocity widths {exceeding 200 km/s} in our follow-up echelle
spectra. Their dynamics are consistent with various scenarios that
include gas accretion {with speeds exceeding the virial velocity} and
starburst outflows {possibly driven by recent merger events}.
Independent of their exact nature, it is clear that strong MgII systems
serve as signposts to galactic halos with extreme gas dynamics. Here we
propose to conduct a snapshot survey of galaxies in the fields toward
high-redshift quasars with known, strong MgII absorbers at 0.5 z 2.
We plan to obtain high spatial-resolution ACS/WFC images of 60 fields to
uncover galaxies fainter than L* at the redshifts of these absorbers and
study their morphology. We will complement the HST observations with
follow-up spectroscopic observations and IR images acquired at the Keck
and Magellan Observatories to for redshift identifications and for
measuring broad-band colors. We will investigate the correlation between
absorption line kinematics and galaxy morphology. In particular, we will
address whether on-going mergers is responsible for the extreme dynamics
observed in MgII absorption based on their rest-frame ultraviolet
morphology.

ACS/WFC 10526

Dynamics of the Polarization Structure of the Crab Nebula

The Crab Nebula is not a free expansion SNR. Rather, it is a pulsar wind
nebula expanding from the inside out into a larger remnant of freely
expanding ejecta. At the heart of this object is the Crab Pulsar and the
region where the pulsar's highly nonisotropic wind interacts with the
larger synchtron nebula. HST and Chandra monitoring has shown this to be
one of the most intricately structured and highly dynamical objects ever
observed. In Cycle 12 we demonstrated our ability to use the
polarization capabilities of the ACS to isolate physically discrete
features within the Crab Synchrotron Nebula and accurately measure their
polarization characteristics. These data provide a unique look at the
physical structure in the heart of the Crab, adding a new dimension to
past observations. Polarization provides extensive information about
field geometries, the degree of disorder in the field, and particle
pitch angle distributions. But one image of the Crab is like a single
image of waves at the beach. It necessarily misses the point. In the
Crab, the name of the game is "dynamics". In this proposal we request
time to monitor changes in the polarization structure of the Crab. This
program will allow us to follow the changing polarization of features
including relativistically moving wisps in the Crab Nebula. This is the
only place in the sky where a dynamic relativistic plasma can be
observed in sufficient detail to make such measurements possible, and
the HST/ACS is the only instrument that we are likely to see in our
careers capable of making the measurement. These observations will be an
important addition to the already rich observational legacy of HST for
what is arguably the most important single object in astrophysics.

ACS/HRC 10525

Characterizing the Near-UV Environment of M Dwarfs: Implications for
Extrasolar Planetary Searches and Astrobiology

We propose SNAP observations with the ACS HRC PR200L prism, designed to
measure the near ultraviolet emission in a sample of 107 nearby M
dwarfs. The sample spans the mass range from 0.1 - 0.6 solar masses
{temperature range 2200K - 4000K} where the UV energy distributions vary
widely between active and inactive stars. The strength and distribution
of this UV emission can have critical consequences for the atmospheres
of attendant planets. Our proposed observations will provide desperately
needed constraints on models of the habitability zone and the
atmospheres of possible terrestrial planets orbiting M dwarf hosts, and
will be used to sharpen TPF target selection. In addition, the NUV data
will be used in conjunction with existing optical, FUV and X-ray data to
constrain a new generation of M dwarf atmospheric models, and to explore
unanswered questions regarding the dynamo generation and magnetic
heating in these low-mass stars.

WFPC2 10511

An Edge-on Disk around a Brown Dwarf?

We have recently discovered a young brown dwarf in the Taurus
star-forming region that exhibits several characteristics {very faint
for its spectral type, forbidden emission lines, anomalous near-IR
colors} that are often observed in stars occulted by edge-on
circumstellar disks. We propose to determine if an edge-on disk is
indeed present by obtaining high-resolution images of this brown dwarf
with ACS/HRC on HST. If the disk is detected, we will constrain its
physical properties, particularly its diameter, by fitting the images
with the predictions of our models of brown dwarfs occulted by
circumstellar disks. These observations could potentially provide the
first direct measurement of the size of a disk around a brown dwarf,
which would comprise a fundamental test of models for the formation of
these objects {e.g., embryo ejection}.

ACS/WFC 10491

A Snapshot Survey of the most massive clusters of galaxies

We propose a snapshot survey of a sample of 124 high X-ray luminosity
clusters in the redshift range 0.3-0.7. Similarly luminous clusters at
these redshifts frequently exhibit strong gravitational lensing. The
proposed observations will provide important constraints on the nature
of the cluster mass distributions and a set of optically bright, lensed
galaxies for further 8-10m spectroscopy. We acknowledge the broad
community interest in this sample and waive our data rights for these
observations.

ACS/WFC 10412

The host galaxies of dust-reddened quasars

We have used the 2MASS near-infrared and FIRST radio surveys, together
with the Palomar Observatory Sky Survey plates to select a sample of
dust-reddened, radio-intermediate quasars. We wish to use ACS to study
the host galaxies of these quasars. The dust reddening of the quasars
makes it possible to study the hosts at rest-frame optical-UV
wavelengths much more easily than the hosts of normal quasars of similar
bolometric luminosity. Our study will compare the hosts of our
dust-reddened quasars to those of normal quasars from the HST archive to
test the hypothesis that dust-reddened quasars are young objects, whose
hosts still show morphological evidence of recent merger events which
triggered the quasar.

ACS/WFC/WFPC2 10402

The Formation and Evolution of Spirals: An ACS and WFPC2 Imaging Survey
of Nearby Galaxies

Over 50% of galaxies in the local universe are spirals. Yet the star
formation histories and evolution of this crucial population remain
poorly understood. We propose to combine archival data with new ACS/WFC
and WFPC2 observations of 11 galaxies, to tackle a comprehensive
investigation of nearby spirals covering the entire spiral sequence. The
new observations will fill a serious deficiency in HST's legacy, and
maximize the scientific return of existing HST data. The filter
combination of UBVI, and Halpha is ideal for studying stellar
populations, dust properties, and the ISM. Our immediate scientific
objectives a {i} to use the resolved cluster populations, both young
massive clusters and ancient globular clusters as a chronometer, to
understand how spirals assembled as a function of time; {ii} study the
rapid disruption properties of young clusters; and {iii} understand dust
distributions in spirals from pc to kpc scales. Each of these goals
provides an important step towards charting the evolution of galaxies,
and an essential baseline for interpreting the galaxy populations being
surveyed in both the early and present universe. The resolution of our
survey, which exploits the excellent imaging capabilities of HST's two
optical cameras, will enable us to understand the record of star
cluster, and galaxy formation in a level of detail which is not possible
for more distant systems. Finally, the proposed observations will
provide a key to interpret an extensive, multiwavelength archive of
space- and ground- based data at lower spatial resolution {SPITZER,
CHANDRA, GALEX, NICMOS P alpha and H band imaging} for local spirals.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 10380

Cycle 13 NICMOS dark current, shading profile, and read noise monitoring
program

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the dark current, read noise,
and shading profile for all three NICMOS detectors throughout the
duration of Cycle 13. This proposal is an essentially unchanged
continuation of PID 9993 which cover the duration of Cycle 12.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

Significant Spacecraft Anomalies: (The following are preliminary reports
of potential non-nominal performance that will be investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)