Daily Report #5179

Old September 13th 10, 03:56 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #5179

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5179

PERIOD COVERED: 5am September 10 - 5am September 13, 2010 (DOY 253/09:00z-256/09:00z)

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: None

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:
18902-2 - CU/SDF Lock-up Recovery, Part C @ 253/1541z
18907-0 - Recover WFC3 from suspend mode @ 253/1912z
18908-0 - Safe and then recover ACS @2 53/2222z
18913-1 - Command COS OSM positions @ 253/2022z
18909-1 - Safe and the recover STIS @ 253/2350z
18911-2 - Safe and Recover COS to Operate @ 253/2012z
18912-0 - Recover ESM/PCE/NCS CPL @ 254/0007z
18910-0 - Safe NICMOS @ 253/2024z

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 17 17
FGS REAcq 29 29
OBAD with Maneuver 18 18

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Flash Report:
Payload Recovery commanding was completed at 254/00:09z
leaving NICMOS in 'Safe' and ACS, STIS, COS, WFC3 and ESM in 'Operate.'

Flash Report:
At 255/00:12z the science SMS was successfully intercepted, the first
several STIS and WFC observations were executed in LOS; however, when data
was acquired at 01:22 all indications are the observations were
successfully collected.

WFC3/IR 12307

A public SNAPSHOT Survey of Gamma-ray Burst Host Galaxies

We propose to conduct a public infrared survey of the host galaxies of
Swift selected gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) at z3. By obtaining deep,
diffraction limited imaging in the IR we will complete detections for
the host galaxies, and in concert with our extensive ground based
afterglow and host programmes will compile a detailed catalog of the
properties of high-z galaxies selected by GRBs. In particular these
observations will enable us to study the colours, luminosities and
morphologies of the galaxies. This in turn informs studies of the
nature of the progenitors and the role of GRBs as probes of star
formation across cosmic history. Ultimately it provides a product of
legacy value which will greatly complement further studies with next
generation facilities such as ALMA and JWST.

WFC3/UV 12245

Orbital Evolution and Stability of the Inner Uranian Moons

Nine densely-packed inner moons of Uranus show signs of chaos and
orbital instability over a variety of time scales. Many moons show
measureable orbital changes within a decade or less. Long-term
integrations predict that some moons could collide in less than one
million years. One faint ring embedded in the system may, in fact, be
the debris left behind from an earlier such collision. Meanwhile, the
nearby moon Mab falls well outside the influence of the others but
nevertheless shows rapid, as yet unexplained, changes in its orbit. It
is embedded within a dust ring that also shows surprising variability.
A highly optimized series of observations with WFC3 over the next
three cycles will address some of the fundamental open questions about
this dynamically active system: Do the orbits truly show evidence of
chaos? If so, over what time scales? What can we say about the masses
of the moons involved? What is the nature of the variations in Mab's
orbit? Is Mab's motion predictable or random? Astrometry will enable
us to derive the orbital elements of these moons with 10-km precision.
This will be sufficient to study the year-by-year changes and,
combined with other data from 2003-2007, the decadal evolution of the
orbits. The pairing of precise astrometry with numerical integrations
will enable us to derive new dynamical constraints on the masses of
these moons. Mass is the fundamental unknown quantity currently
limiting our ability to reproduce the interactions within this system.
This program will also capitalize upon our best opportunity for nearly
40 years to study the unexplained variations in Uranus's faint outer
rings.

WFC3/UV/IR 12021

An Irradiated Disk in an Ultraluminous X-Ray Source

Whether ultraluminous X-ray sources (ULXs) contain stellar-mass or
intermediate-mass black holes (IMBHs) is an important, but as yet
unresolved, astrophysical question. We have discovered variable
optical emission from the ULX NGC 5408 X-1 that we interpret as
reprocessed emission in an irradiated disk. We propose simultaneous
observations with Chandra and HST to test this interpretation and
place constraints on the geometry of the accretion disk. The
observations should provide a means to discriminate between
stellar-mass versus intermediate-mass black holes.

WFC3/UVIS 11912

UVIS Internal Flats

This proposal will be used to assess the stability of the flat field
structure for the UVIS detector throughout the 15 months of Cycle 17.
The data will be used to generate on-orbit updates for the delta-flat
field reference files used in the WFC3 calibration pipeline, if
significant changes in the flat structure are seen.

COS/NUV/FUV 11741

Probing Warm-Hot Intergalactic Gas at 0.5 z 1.3 with a Blind
Survey for O VI, Ne VIII, Mg X, and Si XII Absorption Systems

Currently we can only account for half of the baryons (or less)
expected to be found in the nearby universe based on D/H and CMB
observations. This "missing baryons problem" is one of the
highest-priority challenges in observational extragalatic astronomy.
Cosmological simulations suggest that the baryons are hidden in
low-density, shock-heated intergalactic gas in the log T = 5 - 7
range, but intensive UV and X-ray surveys using O VI, O VII, and O
VIII absorption lines have not yet confirmed this prediction. We
propose to use COS to carry out a sensitive survey for Ne VIII and Mg
X absorption in the spectra of nine QSOs at z(QSO) 0.89. For the
three highest-redshift QSOs, we will also search for Si XII. This
survey will provide more robust constraints on the quantity of baryons
in warm-hot intergalactic gas at 0.5 z 1.3, and the data will
provide rich constraints on the metal enrichment, physical conditions,
and nature of a wide variety of QSO absorbers in addition to the
warm-hot systems. By comparing the results to other surveys at lower
redshifts (with STIS, FUSE, and from the COS GTO programs), the
project will also enable the first study of how these absorbers evolve
with redshift at z 1. By combining the program with follow-up galaxy
redshift surveys, we will also push the study of galaxy-absorber
relationships to higher redshifts, with an emphasis on the
distribution of the WHIM with respect to the large-scale matter
distribution of the universe.

Daily Report #4790 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 February 12th 09 03:21 PM
Daily Report #4771 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 January 14th 09 05:05 PM
Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM