Confused from Slough

Old September 10th 03, 12:18 PM
SimonP

Default Confused from Slough

OK so I've got the web cam; I've got various adapters; I've got a
scope, a barlow and a selection of eyepieces and as mentioned earlier
I've got a laptop on the way - though I might have to resort to moving
the PC downstairs and thoughts of SWMBO's face nah forget that idea
;-)
What now? software (s/w) - Toucam comes with its own software, I've
downloaded Registax and I've got the address of K3CCD
I'm aware of (though haven't delved too deep as yet) the QCUIAG site.
[See also below my sig]
And I also have a string of questions:
Firstly about the s/w -
As I understand things at the moment -
The Toucam s/w drives the camera and can capture still frames and AVIs
Registax is used to take said frames and/AVIs and stack and process
them.
K3CCD seems to do a combination of both - have I missed something or
is there only actually a need for K3CCD or does this do some things
better and some worse?

Next there is a lot of talk about modifying the cameras for long
exposure. I understand that a longer exposure allows more light to
collect on the CCD but how does a 30 second single exposure differ
from a stacked 30 second AVI? At the end of the day the CCD has
received 30 seconds of light but the single exposure is more
susceptible to tracking errors (e.g. the light could fall on 2xthe
pixels in the CCD if the tracking is off, whereas with AVI the entire
image will move over so "just" [1] needs aligning.
[1] I put this in inverts, as I do not know how difficult aligning an
image is. You see I'm new to all this, no seriously, I'm surprised
you had not guessed :-)

Finally (this time) - I'll take Andrea Tasselli as an example (more
excellent work btw, I'm always pleased to see what others are doing).
A lot of the more recent pictures have been taken with an 8" F6 scope
and a 5x powermate - what sort of magnification are these pictures?
Better still how is this worked out? E.g. If I have a 7.5mm EP and
2xBarlow visually I see 200x (750mm/7.5mmX2) if I put the web cam in
place what magnification would I be looking at?

Sorry to be a PITA but with all these images kicking about lately and
Pete's advice about Perseu what more is a man supposed to do? g
Thanks in advance
--
Simon
51:31N 0:38W
Old September 10th 03, 08:03 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"andrea tasselli" wrote in message
om...

In reality, as posted by Chris (Heap) what counts is the pixel scale,
i.e. the number of arcseconds covered by a pixel. In my case this
value is 0.17/0.18 arcseconds per pixel. The powermate 5x does not
yield 5x for the toucam sensor is further away from the nominal design
point (which is inside the barrel) so for all accounts it behaves as a
6.7x barlow (if I did the math correctly).

Ah yes, I forgot the x5 powermate (unlike the others) is still affected by
the separation. I wish I could afford any of them ;-)
So your set up works out at f40 - neatly at the top end of what I suggested.
As I am usually working with a focal reducer, trying to squeeze DSO onto the
chip I am more used to thinking about FOV - no worry about that with the
planets!

BTW put us out of our misery and tell us if you have entered the Sky at
Night competition so the rest of us need not bother ;-)

Clear Skies
Robin

Old September 10th 03, 10:11 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default ToUCam Confused from Slough

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:59:11 +0100, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

I suspect that the natural capture mode of digital cameras (MOV or
AVI) will be lossy compressed. A simple calculation for my captures
gives a file size of 113Mb raw for 320x240 frames (43s @ 12fps). It's
a pity that a format cannot be introduced which will compress each
frame without loss (most of our frames are black!).

Who's going to be the first kind soul to write such an astronomical
utility?

Which of course is what zipping the AVI is doing, more or less,
anyway.
--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old September 11th 03, 04:34 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Robin Leadbeater" wrote in message
Hi Michael,

In the ToUCam recording program, tell it to produce uncompressed AVI

without
sound. Preferably 320x240 (pixels binned 2x2) rather than 640x480; it's
smoother and the files are much easier for Registax to deal with.

Don't you throw away alot of detail if you bin planet images? All the best
results I have seen on Mars are using 640x480 and limiting frame speed to
5fps to minimise compression problems

That's what I *thought*... I think this evening I'll try recording with
K3CCD (which I found clumsy to use) rather than with the ToUCam recorder
(which is clumsy in another way), and see what I get.

Great Astrophotography book BTW, my copy is well thumbed :-)

Glad to be of service!

Old September 11th 03, 04:35 AM
Michael A. Covington

"andrea tasselli" wrote in message
om...
Pete Lawrence wrote in message

. ..
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:14:53 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .

Actually, I cannot Registax my Toucam output at the moment.

In the ToUCam recording program, tell it to produce uncompressed AVI

without
sound. Preferably 320x240 (pixels binned 2x2) rather than 640x480;

it's
smoother and the files are much easier for Registax to deal with.

No way. Registering at 640x480 is as smooth and easy as it is at
320x240. It's going to be slower though.

Hmmm. I have had Registax actually choke on my files... maybe I need to make
them smaller.

Capture with no recompression (it does compress a bit but not by much)
and use 352x288 format. If your program is like mine you'll get a
window of that size with the planet captured at full resolution. This
will allow for faster recording, less frame loss, less compression and
much smaller files.

Will try that. Thanks!

Old September 11th 03, 04:40 AM
Michael A. Covington

Thanks to several who gave useful advice. I've just confirmed (indoors,
using the ToUCam's lens) that the 352x288-pixel mode gives you an area in
the center of the field, at full resolution. Thus it's the best of both
worlds -- nice fine detail but the files aren't too big. Now to Mars...

--
Clear skies,

Michael Covington -- www.covingtoninnovations.com
and (new) How to Use a Computerized Telescope

Old September 11th 03, 04:05 PM
andrea tasselli

"Robin Leadbeater" wrote in message ...

BTW put us out of our misery and tell us if you have entered the Sky at
Night competition so the rest of us need not bother ;-)

Well, I might not be the best after all and you all might be so who knows...

Anyway I'm entering the fry...

Andrea T.

My Astronomy Pages at:
http://www.geocities.com/andreatax/index.htm