What if we find a new Earth?

Old July 17th 03, 03:05 AM
pete

Default What if we find a new Earth?

on 16 Jul 2003 05:00:39 -0700, Alex Terrell sez:
` (Henry Spencer) wrote in message ...
` Of course, some of that has gone downhill in recent decades. :-) Many
` things which used to be packaged in glass jars or metal tins are now in
` thin paper or plastic containers which are of much less long-term use.
` (Raise your hands, everyone who's actually seen a milk bottle. :-))
`
` Come to Germany. They've just introduced a deposit on almost all
` liquid containers, to try and put them back on a level footing with
` glass, which has had a large scale return deposit scheme for sometime.
`
` As a result, most milk, beer and other liquids come in glass bottles
` with a deposit. Sales of canned beer have halved (which is OK, since
` tin cans damage the taste of any quality beer), and the can industry
` and the retailers are rather upset.
`
` In the UK, milk sales are now dominated by plastic bottles, which are
` much worse for the environment than Tetrapak. Meanwhile, the
` Government shouts at local government to increase recycling, even
` though local government has no power whatsoever to influence how
` things are packaged in the supermarket.

Well, not that it particularly matters, but an organic dairy has
been soldiering on out here since the days of home milk bottle
delivery, and is now enjoying something of a rennaissance, so
the old style glass milk bottles can be seen in all the supermarkets,
and we had one in the house a while back cuz I bought a bottle
to show my son what old fashioned non-homogenized, standard
pasteurized milk tastes like (and how it goes sour, rather than
rotting).

Pete Vincent
Disclaimer: all I know I learned from reading Usenet.