Mach-Lorentz thrusters?

Old May 18th 06, 05:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy

Default Mach-Lorentz thrusters?

On Fri, 19 May 2006 13:58:31 +0000 (UTC), Jim Davis
wrote:

A coworker asked me about:

http://news.com.com/Smokeless+rocket.../2100-11397_3-
6073392.html?tag=nefd.pop

I've never heard of a Mach-Lorentz thruster. From the article it
seems that this could be a.) a photon rocket variant or b.)
complete psuedoscience. The fact that a *history* professor is
pushing this gives one pause.

Anyone want to weigh in?

"Mach-Lorenz", in contexts like this, almost always means, "I'm
pushing against the ENTIRE UNIVERSE, in some way I don't have
to define because some really famous smart scientist guys once
said that the entire universe is interconnected, and because
I've got something to push against you don't get to say my
thruster is inertialess, violates conservation of momentum,
and so forth. So there!"

Purest pseudoscience.

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *

Old May 20th 06, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy

"Jim Davis" wrote in message

A coworker asked me about:

http://news.com.com/Smokeless+rocket.../2100-11397_3-
6073392.html?tag=nefd.pop

I've never heard of a Mach-Lorentz thruster. From the article it
seems that this could be a.) a photon rocket variant or b.)
complete psuedoscience. The fact that a *history* professor is
pushing this gives one pause.

Anyone want to weigh in?

Jim Davis

I've had some discussions with an engineer at work over the past few months
about this. Today, he gave a presentation on Mach Lorentz Thrusters at the
Annual Technical Symposium at Johnson Space Center. The presentation may be
on our AIAA Houston section website in the near future
(www.aiaa-houston.org).

I'll ask him if he's got any good online references. It's an interesting
topic - over my head, but interesting.

Jon

Old May 20th 06, 06:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy

"Jon S. Berndt" wrote in message news:446e9227$0$591

I've had some discussions with an engineer at work over the past few
months about this. Today, he gave a presentation on Mach Lorentz Thrusters
at the Annual Technical Symposium at Johnson Space Center. The
presentation may be on our AIAA Houston section website in the near future
(www.aiaa-houston.org).

I'll ask him if he's got any good online references. It's an interesting
topic - over my head, but interesting.

Jon

Try these:
http://chaos.fullerton.edu/Woodward.html
http://chaos.fullerton.edu/~jimw/general/
http://www.cphonx.net/weffect/alt.php

Jon

Old May 21st 06, 01:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy

And, of course, this:

http://www.angryflower.com/woodwa.html

Paul

Jon S. Berndt wrote:
Also, this:

http://www.woodwardeffect.org

Jon

"Jon S. Berndt" wrote in message

"Jon S. Berndt" wrote in message news:446e9227$0$591

I've had some discussions with an engineer at work over the past few
months about this. Today, he gave a presentation on Mach Lorentz
Thrusters at the Annual Technical Symposium at Johnson Space Center. The
presentation may be on our AIAA Houston section website in the near
future (www.aiaa-houston.org).

I'll ask him if he's got any good online references. It's an interesting
topic - over my head, but interesting.

Jon

Try these:
http://chaos.fullerton.edu/Woodward.html
http://chaos.fullerton.edu/~jimw/general/
http://www.cphonx.net/weffect/alt.php

Jon

NASA PDF - X-15 Rocket Plane documents Rusty History 1 August 7th 05 06:47 PM
Lorentz transforms physical incoherence [email protected] Astronomy Misc 223 June 24th 05 12:48 AM
Dyna-Soar question Pat Flannery History 95 April 4th 05 09:58 PM
Scrapping Scram sanman Policy 28 November 7th 04 06:24 PM
double or nothing sonic booms Lynndel Humphreys Space Shuttle 77 October 14th 03 08:11 PM