How Advanced Could They Be?...

Old April 28th 04, 02:58 AM
Jason H.

Default How Advanced Could They Be?...

Article - How Advanced Could They Be? The Physics of Extra-Terrestrial
Civilizations
http://www.astrobio.net/news/modules...rder=0&thold=0

or the mostly similar - How Advanced Can a Civilization Become? - at

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...e.html?2642004

Keep searching! Jason H.

Old April 29th 04, 11:36 AM
Martin

Jason H. wrote:
[...]
or the mostly similar - How Advanced Can a Civilization Become? - at

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...e.html?2642004

Interesting summary. I'm sure a few countries would dispute that English
is established as the commonly used planet-wide language. (And does
"American" consitute as 'English'?! (:-))

And:
###
Lastly, physicist Alan Guth of MIT, one of the originators of the
inflationary universe theory, has even computed the energy necessary to
create a baby universe in the laboratory (the temperature is 1,000
trillion degrees, which is within the range of these hypothetical
civilizations).
###

We may yet be just a fleeting experiment for some white mice![1]

Keep searching,
Martin

[1]: Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Douglas Adams

--
---------- Give a man a fish and you have fed him for today.
- Martin - Teach him how to fish and he won't bother you for weeks!

Old May 1st 04, 04:54 AM
Eric

Interesting summary. I'm sure a few countries would dispute that English
is established as the commonly used planet-wide language. (And does
"American" consitute as 'English'?! (:-))

So, if not English, what then? American is not a language, English is.

Old May 1st 04, 01:22 PM
Martin

Eric wrote:
Interesting summary. I'm sure a few countries would dispute that English
is established as the commonly used planet-wide language. (And does
"American" consitute as 'English'?! (:-))

So, if not English, what then? American is not a language, English is.

Esperanto?

Or a better pan-cultural 'Esperanto'??

The American-centric view would push for American-English. A more
historical view could well push for British-"Queen's"-English. An
Asia-centric view I would expect push for Chinese. By sheer weight of
numbers, perhaps we should move to Indian-English?...

Martin