ASTRO: Fuzzy Wuzzy galaxy?

Old January 18th 09, 02:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Fuzzy Wuzzy galaxy?

Not all odd galaxies are in Arp's list. NGC 2859 is one of these. It is
classified as RSB0. The R means it is a ring galaxy, the SB that it is
a barred spiral and the zero that it has no defined spiral arms. It
resembles M94 in that it has a large diffuse outer ring. But the inner
disk of M94 is highly detailed with many small arms. NGC 2859 is a
fuzzy galaxy. While my seeing was poor for this image the galaxy really
does appear out of focus as there's no hint of anything but a very fuzzy
image. Located at about 85 million light years from us in the
constellation of Lynx this is a barred spiral. The bar is fuzzy, ill
defined and has bright ends. The disk of the galaxy is also
featureless. The system appears tilted rather than face on as the
apparent distance between the outer and inner rings is widest to the
sides. One paper I found though says this is not due to perspective but
real and is caused by the dense regions at the end of the bar cleaning
out this gap likening it to the L3 point in planetary orbits. I'm not
sure I agree but it is interesting idea. Rings are often caused by
direct impacts by another galaxy passing right through the core of the
now ring galaxy. Usually this removes much of the core. That doesn't
appear to be the case here. I've found no explanation for a ring like
this one or the one around M94. If someone out there knows of one let
me know.

Sorry but all I could think of while processing this fuzzy galaxy was
the old rhyme which the grandson was repeating ad nauseum.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2859LUM4X10rgb2X10X3.jpg