Martian geology

Old March 15th 04, 04:40 PM
Mickelodeon

Default Martian geology

So far the rovers have not detected any economic minerals of important
concentration. It's not even certain that
uneconomic "fools gold" (iron sulphide - FeS) is there gleaming in the
martian sun. If it turns out that
nothing of importance is found either metallic or crystalline during the
mission, this would maybe raise questions
about the composition of Mars. Perhaps Earth ended up with a clean sweep of
most available precious elements
such gold and silver and Mars was too far out when the solar system formed.
I hope granites or metamorphic
igneous rocks are found on Mars. So far I believe it's been basalts only.
On earth basalts make up the oceanic crust whereas
chrystalline granitic rocks make up continental crust.

Mars never in it's history had an active plate tectonics either because
there are no orogenic mountains.

Old March 15th 04, 06:44 PM
David Knisely

Mickelodeon wrote:

So far the rovers have not detected any economic minerals of important
concentration. It's not even certain that
uneconomic "fools gold" (iron sulphide - FeS) is there gleaming in the
martian sun.

Why, are you planning on a mining operation? (the shipping costs will be a
real killer).

So far I believe it's been basalts only.

Then you may not have been paying much attention to the Opportunity rover's
results. The reasons for these rovers landing where they did was to see if
water may have been present at some time at those sites. That question (at
least in the case of Opportunity) has been answered.

Mars never in it's history had an active plate tectonics either because
there are no orogenic mountains.

Maybe yes, maybe no. However, there are plenty of other interesting geologic
features which need investigation, such as the huge Tharsis bulge and its
large volcanoes, the rift valley complex of Vallis Marineris, the outflow
channels, the large impact basins, ect. I think Mars will have more surprises
for us as we continue to study it.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old March 15th 04, 07:38 PM
Mickelodeon

"David Knisely" wrote in message
Mickelodeon wrote:

[...]

What ever gave you the idea about mining? I am speaking only from a
geologic perspective. You obviously
decided to conform my original post to some silly perspective you dreamt up.
I am well informed about the
water results goofball, so don't imply that I'm not.

The only intelligent thing you said was the last paragraph. Mars does have
more to offer than the Rovers will uncover.
It would be nice however if they did stumble upon continental type rocks.

Old March 15th 04, 11:03 PM
OG

"Mickelodeon" wrote in message

Mickelodeon wrote:

You said
So far the rovers have not detected any economic minerals of important
concentration. It's not even certain that
uneconomic "fools gold" (iron sulphide - FeS) is there gleaming in

the
martian sun.

David said
Why, are you planning on a mining operation? (the shipping costs will be

real killer).

You said
What ever gave you the idea about mining? I am speaking only from a
geologic perspective. You obviously
decided to conform my original post to some silly perspective you dreamt

up.

Would that be the silly perspective you began by mentioning 'economic
minerals'
I can't see any reason for using the word 'economic' unless it is to bring
to mind the thought of some economic return.

Old March 16th 04, 06:46 AM
David Knisely

Mickelodeon posted:

What ever gave you the idea about mining?

Your use of the term "economic minerals". Actually, it was intended as a
joke, but since you seem to not be in good humor these days, I might point out
that the mineral hematite has been found in noticable quantities on the
surface of Mars by the Opportunity rover (and Iron ore is an "economic
mineral" made up mainly of the minerals magnetite and hematite).

I am well informed about the
water results goofball, so don't imply that I'm not.

Your comments "So far the rovers have not detected any economic minerals of
important concentration", and "I hope granites or metamorphic igneous rocks
are found on Mars....So far I believe it's been basalts only." clearly implied
that you were unaware of the findings from the Opportunity rover. As for the
"goofball" comment, I might suggest refraining from the use of terms like this
if you are not to be judged by others as just "trolling". Clear skies to you.