When will NASA stop shifting from its mandate to EXPLORE SPACE??

Old July 6th 10, 02:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Rich[_1_]

Default When will NASA stop shifting from its mandate to EXPLORE SPACE??

First global warming B.S., now this? WTF?

Charles Bolden

Recent comments made by the NASA administrator have become fodder for
conservative bloggers and left some space buffs wondering just what
really is NASA's mission.

"When I became the NASA administrator, [President Obama] charged me
with three things," Bolden said in an interview with Al-Jazeera. "One,
he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science
and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and
third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out
to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim
nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to
science, math and engineering."

The website NASA Watch reported Bolden's interview comments a few days
ago, but they seem to have hit the fan in a larger-scale Monday.

Bryan York of The San Francisco Examiner wrote in response: "From moon
landings to promoting self-esteem: It would be difficult to imagine a
more dramatic shift in focus for an agency famous for reaching the
heavens
Old July 6th 10, 03:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Bert Hyman

In Chris L Peterson
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 06:49:18 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

[nothing worth repeating]

When will Rich actually take the time to read NASA's mission
statement?

Is "... find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more
with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their
historic contribution to science, math and engineering" in it somewhere?

Is it "foremost?"

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old July 6th 10, 03:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Brian Wraith

wrote:

[nothing worth repeating]

When will Rich actually take the time to read NASA's mission statement?

Are you so afraid of Rich's posting of a truthful news article and his
honest opinion that you felt the need to edit out the body of his post?

Don't worry, that was a rhetorical question, it is obvious you are fearful.
Old July 6th 10, 05:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Chris.B[_2_]

On Jul 6, 4:56*pm, tunderbar wrote:

Odd, the name is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
There is nothing in the name about climate or weather or earth
sciences.

Nor anything about dumping all accumulated knowledge right back to the
12th century.

Wouldn't that put China fully in charge of rocketry? Oh the awful
irony!

America hadn't even been invented except for the warring, stone age,
aboriginal civilisation.

No change there then.

No mention of NASA back then either.

"Flighty" women were still causing earthquakes back then, allegedly.

So that's alright then.

_______________________
+Not that bARStEward Guff+
Old July 6th 10, 05:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Tunderbar

On Jul 6, 11:02*am, "Chris.B" wrote:
On Jul 6, 4:56*pm, tunderbar wrote:

Odd, the name is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
There is nothing in the name about climate or weather or earth
sciences.

Nor anything about dumping all accumulated knowledge right back to the
12th century.

Wouldn't that put China fully in charge of rocketry? Oh the awful
irony!

America hadn't even been invented except for the warring, stone age,
aboriginal civilisation.

No change there then.

No mention of NASA back then either.

"Flighty" women were still causing earthquakes back then, allegedly.

So that's alright then.

_______________________
+Not that bARStEward Guff+

You should do some research on linear logic.
Old July 6th 10, 06:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Quadibloc

On Jul 6, 8:56*am, tunderbar wrote:

Odd, the name is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
There is nothing in the name about climate or weather or earth
sciences.

NASA's mandate includes *applying* America's space leadership, so it
could well launch a weather satellite without having to be a customer
of NOAA to do so.

The Apollo program, in practice, served foreign policy goals. But they
weren't openly stated too much: "Hey, we're putting a man on the moon
to impress neutralist nations like India and Indonesia!". If NASA can
help the War on Terror by impressing the Islamic world, fine, but that
would be a minor side effect of whatever it might actually be doing at
the time.

His remarks, as quoted by Fox News, sound simply bizarre. Apologies
and retractions are to be expected.

John Savard
Old July 7th 10, 02:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

On Jul 6, 6:49*am, Rich wrote:"When will NASA
stop shifting from its mandate to EXPLORE SPACE??"

when are people going to understand this is a rather stupid argument?
Look it up, 20 years ago president Bush expanded NASA's
responsiblities to inlcude earth observations.
Old July 7th 10, 03:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
S. Caro

wrote:

[nothing worth repeating]

When will Rich actually take the time to read NASA's mission statement?

How about taking the time to listen to the NASA administrator's very words?

One new job charged to NASA will be about making Muslims "feel good".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlcNUq77_LM

Old July 7th 10, 06:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Chris.B[_2_]

On Jul 6, 6:36*pm, tunderbar wrote:

You should do some research on linear logic.

Does not compute.

This is yet another identi-thread from a known troll.

He stamps them out with a pastry cutter. (and he has only only one
cutter!)

(tags: tunnel vision + blinkers + handicapped + educationally
challenged + extreme right wing + repetition + pedant + racism +
extremely high level of predictability)

So it's open season on his textual garbage (and any supporting

Hopefully with just enough humour to avoid falling into precisely the
same traps as the dumpster diver.

Normally I favour recycling but Rich comes from the poorest part of
town where everything is thrown away and nothing has value.

+Not that awful BaRstewArD Guff+
Old July 7th 10, 08:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.politics,alt.global-warming
Siobhan Medeiros[_2_]

On Jul 6, 6:49*am, Rich wrote:
[...]

Yeah, why do them smart people keep telling us what we don't want to
hear?