Don't businesses respond to emails anymore?

Old July 26th 03, 09:22 PM
Doug Peterson

Default Don't businesses respond to emails anymore?

I have been trying to get answers from a noted telescope importer, and
an equally noted dealer for the last week now, and get nothing. These
are people who have my money.

Makes me wonder, what are your horror stories?
Old July 26th 03, 11:13 PM
ypauls

Usually a phone call will clarify if a problem exists - email, while easy
to use is still not the preferred method of conducting business.

om...

Old July 26th 03, 11:46 PM
William Hamblen

In article ,
Doug Peterson wrote:
I have been trying to get answers from a noted telescope importer, and
an equally noted dealer for the last week now, and get nothing. These
are people who have my money.

Put it in writing. Registered mail.
Old July 27th 03, 11:14 AM
Chris Marriott

"Doug Peterson" wrote in message
om...
I have been trying to get answers from a noted telescope importer, and
an equally noted dealer for the last week now, and get nothing. These
are people who have my money.

Hi Doug,

A few years ago I would have shared your concerns about a business who
didn't reply to your e-mail.

These days, however, spam is making e-mail virtually unusable for many
businesses. I, for example, receive 400-500 spam messages every day in my
SkyMap email account, and regretably when you're "bulk deleting" that
quantity of mail, it's easy to accidentally delete a genuine message,
especially if it has a non-obvious title.

Until the problem of spam is solved, e-mail can, to my mind, no longer be
regarded as a reliable communications mechanism.

Regards,

Chris

Old July 27th 03, 01:30 PM
Joseph O'Neil

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:14:44 +0100, "Chris Marriott"
wrote:

These days, however, spam is making e-mail virtually unusable for many
businesses. I, for example, receive 400-500 spam messages every day in my
SkyMap email account, and regretably when you're "bulk deleting" that
quantity of mail, it's easy to accidentally delete a genuine message,
especially if it has a non-obvious title.

-snip-

Hi Chris;
I am there with you. I am not up to the 400 mark (yet)
myself, but i do easily get 200 plsu spam messages a day.

In addition to accidently deleting legit messages while
dumping spam, I find that spam fitlers, if set "too tight:" will also
delete legitimate messages.

Finally my ISP has spam fitlers in plae too, and i sometimes
think thopse filters accidently nuke legit e-maisl as well.

Like you said, until the problem of spam is solved, you cannot
get angry about non-replies, IMO.
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca

Old July 27th 03, 04:08 PM
Stephen Paul

"Joseph O'Neil" wrote in message

Like you said, until the problem of spam is solved, you cannot
get angry about non-replies, IMO.

Email has never been secure, nor guaranteed delivery. If you don't get a
response in a satisfactory time, then pick up the phone and be cordial about
it. At the end, tell them to just ignore your last email when it arrives.
They'll look for it later and if it is indeed in their inbox, it will be a
friendly reminder for them to try to be a little more responsive, like I
should be when I _know_ my wife wants me to load the dishwasher, but I'm in
the middle of collimating my Newtonian for the nights session. g

Old July 27th 03, 04:34 PM
Curtis Croulet

My personal e-mail account has been hijacked by dozens of "undeliverable" and
"delivery failure" spam messages. If one of my genuine e-mails gets bounced, I
may never know, because there's no way I'm going to look through three dozen
"undeliverable" messages every day.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old July 27th 03, 05:16 PM
Doug Peterson

I've been playing around with the settings on the spam filter provided
by my ISP, and have gotten those annoying but tempting offers to
lengthen my member down to less than one a day. Those that sneak
through use deceptive wording in their subject lines. However, I still
check my bulkmail file, where this stuff is shuttled to before
deletion, and occasionally a valid email is there.

BTW, what a marketing strategy: insult your target audience's manhood!
But I guess than is the basis behind all advertising: You're
inadequate without our help....
Old July 27th 03, 07:05 PM
Richard Jarnagin

"Doug Peterson" wrote in message
om...
I've been playing around with the settings on the spam filter provided
by my ISP, and have gotten those annoying but tempting offers to
lengthen my member down to less than one a day. Those that sneak
through use deceptive wording in their subject lines. However, I still
check my bulkmail file, where this stuff is shuttled to before
deletion, and occasionally a valid email is there.

BTW, what a marketing strategy: insult your target audience's manhood!
But I guess than is the basis behind all advertising: You're
inadequate without our help....

Now if they could make our telescopes grow, then they would have something
:^)

Richard