Comet 17/P Holmes in outburst (Perseus)

Old October 29th 07, 01:49 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Andy G

Default Comet 17/P Holmes in outburst (Perseus)

Great stuff Paul, superb!

--
StarDome - Astronomy - Astronautics - Planetarium
Mr Andrew R Green B.Sc(Hons) FRAS.

www.stardomeplanetarium.co.uk
www.stardome-planetarium.com
www.collectspace.co.uk

"Paul L Money" wrote in message
Following on from the earlier thread:

Images of Comet P17/ Holmes are now on my web site - follow this link
(hope it works - seems to at the moment!).

http://www.astrospace.co.uk/gallery/...olmes-p17.html

Tonight, Oct 28th, it seemed to be around Mag 2.5 and clearly naked eye
visible even with moonlight. 10x50 bins showed a small fuzzy 'ball'
whilst the 10" F5 Newtonian showed a wonderful round halo and closer in,
an elongated smaller patch off to one side of the nucleus.

Of course the weather is now going to spoil things for us but I hope you
all get a chance to view it.

Best wishes

Paul
--
For my web site - Astrospace go to http://www.astrospace.co.uk
For Astro holidays that are outathis world go visit the following:

Old October 29th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul L Money

In article , Andy G
writes
Great stuff Paul, superb!

Ta for the encouragement - hope everyone else is getting a chance to see
it. Look like i might get a clear spell this evening so lets see what I
can get - darn it I've just jinxed everyone now - sorry!

Paul
Old October 30th 07, 12:32 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul L Money

Hi folks,

New images taken Oct 29th now added including a comparison showing the
movement and increase in size over the two nights viewed so far.

http://www.astrospace.co.uk/gallery/...olmes-p17.html

Enjoy!

Is it me or is the inner bright patch slightly yellow in colour?

Paul M
Old October 31st 07, 10:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
BillyPIg

Paul,

I wish I'd seen your finder chart earlier; I could have saved myself a hour
or so pouring over star charts trying to identify "that big blob". Being a
novice, I initially assumed that I was misreading the charts, but eventually
decided to turn on the PC to see if there was anything on the NG. What a
stroke of luck I just happened to point the binos in the right direction.

A real treat.

Pete K

Old November 1st 07, 10:33 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul L Money

In article , BillyPIg
writes
Paul,

I wish I'd seen your finder chart earlier; I could have saved myself a hour
or so pouring over star charts trying to identify "that big blob". Being a
novice, I initially assumed that I was misreading the charts, but eventually
decided to turn on the PC to see if there was anything on the NG. What a
stroke of luck I just happened to point the binos in the right direction.

A real treat.

Pete K

Glad I could be of some help - I've now put up another image which shows
the comets movement over 4 nights and how it's getting larger - enjoy!

Paul
Old November 2nd 07, 12:13 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul L Money

In article , Iordani
writes
Paul L Money wrote:

Glad I could be of some help - I've now put up another image which shows
the comets movement over 4 nights and how it's getting larger - enjoy!

The Gallery is now fully uploaded - enjoy.

but there are no pics.

I've check with several different computers and force reloaded the pages
and they're all there so I suggest you reload the page - right click and
choose reload either the page or if needed the frame - see if that
helps.

best wishes

Paul

PS It's cloudy for me and looks set to be like that for several days now
:-(