The dozen space weapons myths

Old March 15th 07, 07:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Janitor_of_Lunacy

Default The dozen space weapons myths

On Mar 12, 10:43 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:

Joint Doctrine for Space Operations

The Services, in accordance with Department of Defense (DOD)
Directives, shall integrate space capabilities and applications into
all facets of their strategy, doctrine, education, training, exercises,
and operations of US military forces.http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/new...arch=%22Joint%...

To a large extent JP3_14 is concerned with recon, intel gathering,
situational awareness (such as support of Blue Force Tracking), and
communications (using both commerical and military resources.) There
is really nothing specific about actual space weapons. It is an
attempt to make space-borne C4ISR assets "purple" (i.e. joint.) In the
past, the problem was that special forces used their own SATCOM, the
Army used its SATCOM, the USMC and USN used the Navies, the USAF used
theirs, everything worked in stovepipes, and, to top it off, there
typically wasn't the ability to use realistic SATCOM in US-based
training exercises, since the satellites were perched over Europe and
Asia.

Old March 16th 07, 01:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jim Oberg

"Janitor_of_Lunacy" wrote
stuff..

Shades of a well-informed commentator. Please, frequent this
thread often! There are plenty of folks who will appreciate it,
me included!!

Old March 16th 07, 04:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Janitor_of_Lunacy

On Mar 16, 9:02 am, "Jim Oberg" wrote:
"Janitor_of_Lunacy" wrote
stuff..

Shades of a well-informed commentator. Please, frequent this
thread often! There are plenty of folks who will appreciate it,
me included!!

Sure. I'm actually a regular here (but not for the past few months),
but my company has stopped carrying newsgroups, so I'm using my old
google account. One of the things I do for a living is actually read
field manuals. (I've gotten into some exchanges elsewhere about the
new Army Psyops manual. The reason why it looks like a "blueprint for
what the government is doing to us" is that it actually is basically a
lessons learned from the advertising and political world, so its more
like the Army has learned to do to others what business and
politicians have been doing for years.

Ami Silberman