View of the lunar eclipse from the moon!

Old October 27th 04, 02:05 AM
Bob Meehan

Default View of the lunar eclipse from the moon!

Imagine how the earth would look, from the moon, as it eclipses the
sun leaving our blue planet surrounded by a bright, colorful ring of
sunrises and sunsets. This would surely be one of the most beautiful
spectacles in the universe.
I know that we don't have a camera on the moon, but couldn't we
position one of our satilites (with color photo capabilities) on the
night side of the planet to capture this image? Does an image of this
view exist now? Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Thank you for your replies!
Old October 27th 04, 02:26 AM
SaberScorpX

Imagine how the earth would look, from the moon, as it eclipses the
sun leaving our blue planet surrounded by a bright, colorful ring of
sunrises and sunsets...
Does an image of this view exist now?

Here's an animated simulation:
http://celestialdelights.info/lecl/le0503.html

More stuff:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast08jan_1.htm

Here's a 'Total' from Luna (Lunar shadow transit):
http://www.extrasolar.net/image.asp?ImageID=40

Fun 'virtual' eclipse:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/stottmeist...e/eclipse.html

SSX
Old October 27th 04, 02:32 AM
Florian

I know that we don't have a camera on the moon, but couldn't we
position one of our satilites (with color photo capabilities) on the
night side of the planet to capture this image?

Satellites are on the night side all the time. They just aren't far
enough from Earth for an interesting eclipse-type view.=20

-Florian

Old October 27th 04, 04:36 AM
Chris L Peterson

On 27 Oct 2004 03:02:19 GMT, Ol' Duffer wrote:

That view from the moon would be a solar eclipse, by
definition. I imagine it would look quite a bit like
the photos taken by coronographs.

No, it wouldn't look like that. From the Moon, the angular size of the Earth is
much bigger than that of the Sun- you wouldn't see much of the corona at
totality (but you would probably see part of it just after second contact unless
the atmospheric scatter was too bright).

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 27th 04, 11:48 AM
Paul Neave

I don't think you'd see an awful lot - it would be dark, and you'd possibly
see a circluar albedo effect, but that's all because of the size of the
Earth compared to the sun.

I'd love to see a solar eclipse from space - now that's stunning.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...99_mir_big.jpg

Paul.

Old October 27th 04, 12:30 PM
Tom Rankin

You can use Celestia of some other Planetarium program to simulate it.

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://mhaa.whodeanie.com

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.
Old October 27th 04, 05:35 PM
adam bootle

Dick Gordon took a photo of the earth eclipsing the sun during the flight of
Apollo 12. A full ring was not visible but around 50% is shown in the
picture. Select Apollo 12 then click on page 20
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb/browse.jsp

Adam

om...

Old October 27th 04, 11:12 PM
Joe Bergeron

In article , Bob
Meehan wrote:

Imagine how the earth would look, from the moon, as it eclipses the
sun leaving our blue planet surrounded by a bright, colorful ring of
sunrises and sunsets. This would surely be one of the most beautiful
spectacles in the universe.
I know that we don't have a camera on the moon, but couldn't we
position one of our satilites (with color photo capabilities) on the
night side of the planet to capture this image? Does an image of this
view exist now? Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Thank you for your replies!

Try this:

http://homepage.mac.com/joebergeron/eclipse.html

--
Joe Bergeron

http://www.joebergeron.com

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat UK Astronomy 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM