Lunar eclipse from the Moon

Old October 9th 04, 06:46 AM
ROM SPACE KNIGHT NURSE

Default Lunar eclipse from the Moon

What exactly would I see if I were on the Moon during this month's Lunar
eclipse?
Thanks in advance for answer

---Proudly trolling since 1996

Old October 10th 04, 04:01 AM
William C. Keel

rander3127 wrote:
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 00:46:51 -0500, (ROM SPACE KNIGHT
NURSE) wrote:

What exactly would I see if I were on the Moon during this month's Lunar
eclipse?
Thanks in advance for answer

---Proudly trolling since 1996

A total solar eclipse.

More graphically although lacking color, about what was seen by
Surveyor 3's TV camera (the same one later returned for study
by the Apollo 12 crew), on 24 April 1967. One version of a couple
of its images may be seen at
http://www.chabotspace.org/vsc/plane.../chapter15.asp
(hope I typed that right - telnet window won't paste...)
The entire series spans multiple filters and several times during
totality, in which the changes in illumination through the atmosphere
as the Sun is differently centered behind the Earth are very striking.

Bill Keel
Old October 10th 04, 08:14 AM
SaberScorpX

What exactly would I see if I were on the Moon during this month's Lunar
eclipse?

Here's an animated simulation:
http://celestialdelights.info/lecl/le0503.html

More stuff:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast08jan_1.htm

Here's a 'Total' from Luna (Lunar shadow transit):
http://www.extrasolar.net/image.asp?ImageID=40

Fun 'virtual' eclipse:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/stottmeist...e/eclipse.html

'You Be The Judge' eclipse photo: