Tom Boles and Sky and Telescope

Old September 25th 04, 11:55 AM
Alex Patel

Default Tom Boles and Sky and Telescope

If I were Tom Boles I would be less than thrilled at the article in
the October 2004 Sky and Telescope!

Basically the article - by Martin Mobberley - lays Tom open to a visit
from the police on the grounds of:

speeding
having an illegal number plate
having illegal gadgets for evading radar speed traps

Is the position of Tom Boles within the British Astronomical
Association, the article says he is the Chairman, viable?
Old September 25th 04, 01:47 PM
DT

Alex Patel wrote
If I were Tom Boles I would be less than thrilled at the article in
the October 2004 Sky and Telescope!

Basically the article - by Martin Mobberley - lays Tom open to a visit
from the police on the grounds of:

speeding
having an illegal number plate
having illegal gadgets for evading radar speed traps

Is the position of Tom Boles within the British Astronomical
Association, the article says he is the Chairman, viable?

The article is not evidence that he is breaking the law.
Maybe he just likes to be sufficiently well equipped to 'push the
envelope' to it's limits in the motorist's heroic struggle against the
money-grubbing schemes of the chancellor, and why wouldn't his position
be viable? Are you suggesting there may be some deficiency in his work?
;-)
Denis
--
DT
Replace nospam with the antithesis of hills
Old September 25th 04, 01:47 PM
Andy Dix

Alex Patel wrote
If I were Tom Boles I would be less than thrilled at the article in
the October 2004 Sky and Telescope!

Basically the article - by Martin Mobberley - lays Tom open to a visit
from the police on the grounds of:

speeding
having an illegal number plate
having illegal gadgets for evading radar speed traps

Is the position of Tom Boles within the British Astronomical
Association, the article says he is the Chairman, viable?

Tom lives not too far away from me in Suffolk. It has been for a while the
want of the local authorities to place a blanket 30mph speed limit in all
Suffolk villages and to place speed cameras at more than just accident black
spots. Therefore I'm not surprised about the speeding, nearly everyone in
Suffolk speeds because the reduce limits are ridiculous. As for the number
plate I can't comment having not seen it but he wouldn't be the only one you
could find I'm sure. And the gadgets... if you lived in Suffolk you'd get
one too!

On Tom's BAA position, according to his website he is President.

Finally for Tom's work on locating supernovae, I'll forgive a few speeding
misdemeanours.

Tom's website is - http://coddenhamobservatories.org/

--
Regards