dovetail bracket to mate Ranger to C5+ mount

Old January 23rd 04, 08:43 PM
Brian Tung

Default dovetail bracket to mate Ranger to C5+ mount

The subject line pretty much says it. I have a Tele Vue Ranger that
mounts on a small rail, perhaps 1.5 cm across. (I don't have it with
me, so I'm going by memory.) I also have the mount that the C5+ comes
on, with a dovetail so you can slide the OTA on and off. I'd like to
be able to mount the Ranger onto that thing, so I can get tracking.
(I have a solar filter that only fits the Ranger.) Does anyone have
any suggestions for sources for this kind of thing?

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old January 23rd 04, 09:08 PM
Jon Isaacs

Does anyone have
any suggestions for sources for this kind of thing?

For what its worth: I have a C5 OTA and a Pronto. I have solar filters for
both. In general I prefer the Pronto for most things, but for solar viewing, I
like the C-5.

Consider springing for a solar filter for the C-5.

Of course if the Ranger's filter is a Coronado or similar filter, then things
change but you could still probably fabricate a mount that would allow you to
view with the C5 through the Ranger filter.

jon

Old January 23rd 04, 11:15 PM
Brian Tung

Jon Isaacs wrote:
For what its worth: I have a C5 OTA and a Pronto. I have solar
filters for both. In general I prefer the Pronto for most things,
but for solar viewing, I like the C-5.

Consider springing for a solar filter for the C-5.

Of course if the Ranger's filter is a Coronado or similar filter, then things
change but you could still probably fabricate a mount that would allow you to
view with the C5 through the Ranger filter.

Yes, actually, the Ranger's filter is the Coronado 40 mm. That makes it
just a little too big to use off-axis on the C5+. I suppose I could still
do it, but I would prefer not to. Still, if it costs less to get an
adapter plate for the C5+ (to attach the Coronado filter to) than it does
to get a dovetail adapter plate for the Ranger, I'll go that route.