No more RD-180s? Blame SpaceX claims ULA

Old May 15th 14, 02:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

Default No more RD-180s? Blame SpaceX claims ULA

For your perusal:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05...rocket_rebuff/

rick jones
- Rick Jones
Old May 15th 14, 12:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_4_]

In article ,
says...

For your perusal:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05...rocket_rebuff/

Sounds more like "shooting the messenger" or "damage control" to me.

SpaceX is just shining a light on the little known dirty secret that the
US depends on Russia for engines used to launch US spy satellites. That
alone is something that hasn't really come to light in the US mass
media. Certainly "space buffs" in these newsgroups have known about
this since day one, but not the general public.

And more importantly, SpaceX certainly didn't encourage Russia to take
Crimea. Without that little "incident", SpaceX's protest over the
single source buy of EELV cores would have gotten very little press
coverage.

Jeff
Old May 15th 14, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_4_]

In article , nospam@
127.0.0.1 says...

ULA had better start figuring out how to reverse engineer the RD180 on
their own so that they can be made in the USA or start figuring out how
to transfer payloads to the Delta. OR they can try to sweet talk the
Russians... Maybe ULA could buy DPM Rogozin a nice new dacha along the
seashore in Sevastopol?

I've got to wonder if Delta Heavy could be used in place of Atlas V.
Sure it would cost more (three cores instead of one for each flight),
but it would eliminate the need to buy Russian engines. I'm sure the
ULA engineers know the answer to this question, but I seriously doubt
management would want them to comment openly about it.

Jeff
Old May 15th 14, 03:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:25:07 AM UTC-4, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , nospam@

127.0.0.1 says...

ULA had better start figuring out how to reverse engineer the RD180 on

their own so that they can be made in the USA or start figuring out how

to transfer payloads to the Delta. OR they can try to sweet talk the

Russians... Maybe ULA could buy DPM Rogozin a nice new dacha along the

seashore in Sevastopol?

I've got to wonder if Delta Heavy could be used in place of Atlas V.

Sure it would cost more (three cores instead of one for each flight),

but it would eliminate the need to buy Russian engines. I'm sure the

ULA engineers know the answer to this question, but I seriously doubt

management would want them to comment openly about it.

Jeff

at this point congress needs to pass a new law with at least a 10 year length.

Prohibiting doing any business with aggresive nations.

this would bring business back to the US and hurt any nation with leaders like hitler, oh orry Putin.......

Musk can get us off soyuz and help stare russia for money

Ideally causing the stock market of russia to crash

Hey leave crimea and all of ukraine alone and quit trying to destabilize it and we will consider ending the law, but oh we will never use oyuz again for american transport

SpaceX and NASA Host Teleconference Today on SpaceX 2 Mission to Space Station Jeff Findley[_2_] Policy 5 March 4th 13 09:40 PM
Blame the NRA...... [email protected] Misc 1 December 24th 12 07:44 PM
Blame the NRA...... HVAC[_3_] Misc 0 December 21st 12 03:59 PM
DST: Blame Ben SaberScorpX Amateur Astronomy 4 October 30th 04 08:26 PM
Who to blame Trev Cannon UK Astronomy 4 November 23rd 03 11:20 PM