Stupid astronomical claims on TV show

Old January 9th 09, 07:50 PM posted to sci.astro,misc.misc
Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t[_2_]

Default Stupid astronomical claims on TV show

According to a TV program called "Quest":
- The aborigine story about some stars in the sky forming a shape
of a baby's cradle, which is an *actual* cradle, and long ago
that cradle tipped too far and the baby fell to Earth and is the
origin of all life on Earth, is **true**. (That's really where
life on Earth came from. Abiogenesis as studied by science is
all wrong. Nevermind modern astronomy which shows the "shapes"
formed by "constellations" are nothing more than illusions of
the human visual-processing system.)
- The craters on the Moon are caused by meteors which are remnants
of the debris which formed the **Universe**. (The Big Bang
theory, of only hydrogen and helium (with a trace of lithium)
forming during the first fraction of second, then later heavier
elements forming from fusion of hydrogen and helium inside stars
that condensed out of the gas (and later dust), and only much
later the gas+dust collapsing to form clouds of "debris" that
formed our Solar system, long after the formation of the
Universe, is all wrong.)
The first mistake made me cringe, but I chose to give it a second
chance. The second mistake made me turn off the program and not
give it a third chance. It's too bad "Quest" doesn't have any
astrophysicist, nor even a knowledgeable layman, to proofread their
scripts to eliminate such gross mistakes.