Lunar Lava Tubes via Clementine

Old February 28th 04, 03:23 PM
Charles Buckley

Default Lunar Lava Tubes via Clementine

Thomas Billings wrote:

If
so, how might the people be trained, assuming this were done via
Internet? Perhaps work up a quiz/tutorial of images (some suspected
by experts of showing signs of lava tubes and some not) and only
select the highest scoring individuals? Or better yet, let anyone
play but, when later forming a consensus/score for a given Clementine
image, weight that person's choices by their score on the quiz?

Unless someone out there has done more than the minimal amount of
eyeball work we did with the pictures in finding terrain features, this
last idea seems a bit more hopefull to me.

I would recommend starting at :

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/clementine.html

There is a browser for the images, as well as much Clementine
information in links and pages.

Has anyone taken the shots of known rilles and what appeared to
be collapsed tubes to find out if there are any discernable signatures?
I recall using normalized vegetative data indices on Earth sensing
to bring out subtle differences. It seems to me that the thermal
equilization might be just a bit off between a near-surface tube and
it's immediate surroundings. Admittedly though, the lunar regolith
is a pretty good thermal insulator so it's a low percentage angle.