Butterfly strapped to a bullet

Old August 5th 05, 06:03 AM
Cameron Dorrough

Default Butterfly strapped to a bullet

Story Musgraves' description of the Shuttle at the recent IICA2005
Conference in Melbourne, Australia, last week...

Story gave two slide-shows from his time in space - one at the dinner on the
Tuesday night, and another on Thursday on his work on the Hubble telescope.

I spent quite a bit of time over the three days of the Conference talking to
him about his experiences in NASA. Of particular interest to me was his
take on differences between Apollo and Shuttle systems (being one of only
two people alive to fly on both) and the general superiority of the Apollo
platform design.

If you are not an expert in space systems and ever get the chance to hear
his talks, I would highly recommend you go.

Cameron:-)

Old August 7th 05, 01:33 AM
Tim Rogers

"Cameron Dorrough" wrote in message
Story Musgraves' description of the Shuttle at the recent IICA2005
Conference in Melbourne, Australia, last week...

Story gave two slide-shows from his time in space - one at the dinner on
the
Tuesday night, and another on Thursday on his work on the Hubble
telescope.

I spent quite a bit of time over the three days of the Conference talking
him about his experiences in NASA. Of particular interest to me was his
take on differences between Apollo and Shuttle systems (being one of only
two people alive to fly on both) and the general superiority of the Apollo
platform design.

If you are not an expert in space systems and ever get the chance to hear
his talks, I would highly recommend you go.

Story Musgrave never flew on an Apollo mission. He was on the backup crew
for the first manned Skylab mission however.
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/musgrave.html

Tim

Old August 7th 05, 05:33 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-08-07, Tim Rogers wrote:

him about his experiences in NASA. Of particular interest to me was his
take on differences between Apollo and Shuttle systems (being one of only
two people alive to fly on both) and the general superiority of the Apollo
platform design.

Story Musgrave never flew on an Apollo mission. He was on the backup crew
for the first manned Skylab mission however.
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/musgrave.html

People who flew on both:

John Young A-10, A-16 then STS-1, STS-9
Ken Mattingly A-16 then STS-4, STS-51-C
Paul Weitz SL-2 then STS-6
Jack Lousma SL-3 then STS-3
Owen Garriott [1] SL-3 then STS-9
Vance Brand ASTP then STS-5, STS-41-B, STS-35

Six people to have flown in space on both, all - at a first glance -
still alive. One to have flown Mercury and Shuttle, who's alive (John
Glenn), and one to have flown Gemini and Shuttle (John Young, ditto).

Musgrave is, however, the only person to have flown in all five
Orbiters.

[1] Checking this, I found he was Richard Garriott's father. The things
you discover...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old August 8th 05, 12:04 AM
Cameron Dorrough

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

Story Musgrave never flew on an Apollo mission. He was on the backup crew
for the first manned Skylab mission however.
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/musgrave.html

You are quite right - sorry about that. There is a big difference between
"trained" and "flew".

After re-checking it seems his main claim-to-fame was that he's the only
person to fly on all five Shuttles. I'll try not to fluff up that badly
next time!

Cameron:-)

Old August 9th 05, 05:51 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Andrew Gray wrote in
:

Owen Garriott [1] SL-3 then STS-9

[1] Checking this, I found he was Richard Garriott's father. The
things you discover...

I may be revealing my age to admit I found out Richard was Owen's son. And
that was only after I'd known he was "Lord British"...

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.