Some questions

Old August 15th 03, 08:36 AM
D.Brown

Default Some questions

So far we've been subjected to gamma ray Burst ( that would probably be
fatal to civilizations living near by one), Magnetstars, Eta Carina ,
an exploding star whom astro-physist think might be acting has a huge
ultraviolet laser, Black holes, Neutron stars, Novas and Supernovas.

I'm wondering ...how close can some stellar phenomena has to be before it
can represent a threat to life on this planet,and what's a safe distance
that would provide the people on this planet a spectacular light show
but wouldn't represent a danger to life here. Are there any particular
candidates that we should look out for?

Second question, I used to look at pictures of galaxies and marvel
that all that white hot gaseous looking stuff you see in a picture of a
galaxy were stars. Now I'm wondering if alot of that white hot "stuff"
you see when looking at a galaxy is just what it is ..white hot gas. Can
the stars in a picture of a galaxy be spotted individually, or are they
truly too numerous too count.

"When I die, I would like to go peacefully in my sleep, like my
grandfather did. Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in
his car." Jack Handey

[[Mod. note -- Michael Richmond has written an informative web page
on this for supernovas,
http://www.tass-survey.org/richmond/answers/snrisks.txt
-- jt]]