FTL is coming up fast

Old March 26th 21, 11:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default FTL is coming up fast

https://thedebrief.org/faster-than-light-travel-is-coming-at-us-faster-than-we-thought/

Faster-Than-Light Travel Is Coming At Us Faster Than We Thought

G.S.Jensen
The Debrief

.... In 1994, Alcubierre published a paper that made him famous (in
the circles I run in, anyway), "The Warp Drive: Hyper-fast travel
within general relativity," in the journal Classical and Quantum
Gravity. Wait... `warp drive'? Like in Star Trek? Well, sort of,
yes. The term `warp drive' was first coined in John W. Campbell's 1931
science fiction novel Islands of Space, but no details of how such a
drive might function existed when Star Trek cribbed the term.

Nonetheless, Dr. Alcubierre is said to have told William Shatner that
his theory and selection of the term `warp drive' for it were directly
inspired by its use in the Star Trek franchise. I hope the esteemed
Mr. Shatner was duly flattered.

.... Now suddenly, the Alcubierre warp drive concept is everywhere in
the news. As detailed here on The Debrief recently, engineers Jessica
Gallanis and Eytan Halm Suchard have filed a patent application for a
drive using the most current incarnation of the theoretical warp drive
(several scientists, most notably Dr. Harold White, have refined the
theory and significantly reduced the anticipated energy
involved). They envision putting together a team of experts who can
develop the materials required to build a working proof of concept,
but they currently lack the funding. Now that's a Kickstarter I'll
support.

--
Upcoming events:
08 Apr 2012 NOAA $bn disasters Q1 release

NASA primed for historic flight of experimental Mars helicopter
Spaceflight Now, 26 Mar 2021 15:38Z

Finnair Intends To Acquire 19-Seat Electric Aircraft
One Mile at a Time, 25 Mar 2021 19:52Z
Finnair has signed a Letter of Interest to acquire 20 electric aircraft by
2026, each of which can seat 19 passengers.

Washington health officials monitoring 23 people for Ebola
KING5.com, 26 Mar 2021 04:03Z
The individuals recently traveled from Guinea and Democratic Republic of the
Congo, which are experiencing Ebola outbreaks. Health officials say public
risk is ...

In Suez Canal, Stuck Ship Is a Warning About Excessive Globalization
The New York Times, 26 Mar 2021 13:32Z
London. The world got another warning this week about the perils of its
heavy reliance on global supply chains. As a single ship ran aground in the
Suez ...

Border river floods destroy droughted farmers' first good crop in years
ABC Rural, 25 Mar 2021 22:12Z
Major flooding has dealt a savage blow to drought-stricken farmers on the
NSW and Qld border by destroying the first decent crops grown in years.

A gene defect may make rabbits do handstands instead of hop
Science News Magazine, 25 Mar 2021 18:18Z
Mutations in a gene typically found throughout the nervous system rob
rabbits of their ability to hop. Instead, the animals walk on their front paws.

Octopuses, Like People, Seem To Have Active Stages Of Sleep, May Dream
NPR, 25 Mar 2021 21:59Z
Octopuses have an "active" phase of sleep, the kind that might involve
dreaming, but they probably don't have long, complicated dreams like people
do.

Scientists Finally Identify a Deadly Toxin That's Been Killing Birds
WIRED, 25 Mar 2021 18:17Z
For 25 years, a mysterious killer has been on the loose across the American
south, responsible for the deaths of over 100 eagles and 1000s of other
birds.

Groundbreaking H3X Motor Brings Electric Aircraft One Step Closer To Reality
CleanTechnica, 25 Mar 2021 19:13Z
The startup H3X says it has developed a compact electric motor that develops
more than 3 times the power and weighs less than most commercially available ...

Scientists find evidence that novel coronavirus infects the mouth's cells
National Institutes of Health, 25 Mar 2021 11:19Z
An international team of scientists has found evidence that SARS-CoV-2, the
virus that causes COVID-19, infects cells in the mouth. While it's well
known that the ...

Sprawling 5,000-year-old cemetery and fortress discovered in Poland
Livescience.com, 25 Mar 2021 13:18Z
A gigantic, 5000-year-old complex of long barrows and stone-lined tombs has
been unearthed in Poland, after archaeologists investigated lines in crops
in a ...

This eVTOL Flies 3 Times Farther Than Most Electric Aircraft. Here's How.
Yahoo Lifestyle, 25 Mar 2021 14:14Z
The Talyn system includes a drone and main aircraft, which can fly 5
people for 300 miles, or 3 times farther than most competitors.

12 people are behind most of the anti-vaxxer disinformation you see on
social media
Mashable, 24 Mar 2021 23:13Z
A dozen social media users are responsible for the majority of the
anti-vaccination posts on social media, according to a new study.

["We didnt want to cause mass panic":]
Swarms of flashing `Tic-Tac shaped' UFOs chased 4 US Navy destroyers off
California coast at 45mph, ship logs reveal
The Sun, 25 Mar 2021 06:02Z
MYSTERIOUS UFOs began popping up off the California coast last year,
prompting US Navy warships to follow them in a ...

International UFO Investigation Organization Sets Up Permanent Headquarters
in Ohio
Cleveland Scene, 24 Mar 2021 15:16Z
The truth is out there. And possibly literally right here in the Ohio, as
Cincinnati is once again home to nonprofit UFO ...

Rubio wants answers on 'UFOs' reported over US military posts
Fox News, 24 Mar 2021
Senate Florida Republican Marco Rubio is eagerly awaiting a report by top
security officials who will brief Senate Intelligence Committee members on
"unidentified aerial phenomenon" threatening ...

Part Of The San Andreas Fault Is Moving Way Faster Than We Previously Thought
LAist, 24 Mar 2021 19:11Z
As if the San Andreas fault wasn't concerning enough, research just released
today shows that a nearby portion of it is moving much faster than
scientists ...

Aerosol formation in clouds: Studying climate modeling's last great
uncertainty factor
Phys.org, 24 Mar 2021 18:03Z
Researchers at the Paul Scherrer Institute PSI have studied for the first
time how chemical reactions in clouds can influence the global climate. They
found that ...
Old March 27th 21, 10:40 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Daniel65

wrote on 27/3/21 9:24 am:
[...]

No!! No! No, 'cause we all know (don't we? ;-P ) that FTL travel is
impossible, as we've been told (OVER and OVER AGAIN) here, by Mr
casagiannoni!! ;-P
--
Daniel