Months and Calendars in Arabic

Old March 11th 11, 03:59 PM posted to sci.lang,soc.history.medieval,sci.astro
Yusuf B Gursey

Default Months and Calendars in Arabic

I have neglected this thread. my research has been completed and I will
post shrotly.
Old March 11th 11, 04:14 PM posted to sci.lang,soc.history.medieval,sci.astro
Yusuf B Gursey[_2_]

On Feb 15 2010, 4:35 am, Yusuf B Gursey wrote:
On Feb 14, 7:09 pm, "alan" wrote:

On Feb 14, 2:10 pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

No, it's a question. What names does Arabic use when talking about the
Western calendar?

In most of the Arabic world, the names used seem to be modeled on English
and are as follows:
يناير, فبراير, مارس, ابريل, مايو, يونيو, يوليو, اغسطس, سبتمبر, اكتوبر,
نوفمبر, ديسمبر

yanaayir, fabraayir, maaris, 'abriil, maayuu, yuuniyuu, yuuliyuu,
'a*gh*usTus, sibtambar, 'uktuubar, nuufambar, disambar

in Egypt the Coptic Calendar, a solar calendar with its own algorithm,
its own month names (dating to Ancient Egyptian), its own era and its
own new year's day also has official status.

Yemeni colloquial has survivals of the Himyarite names (as known from
medieval arab writers and epigraphy).

in Yemen, the Syriac names are associated with the Julian reckoning

in Libya after Qadhdhafi, a solar calendar based on the birth of
Muhammad with its own (frequently nationalistic) month names was
adopted for official purposes. also the era of the muslim calendar was
changed to beginning of the death of the Prophet (rather than the
hijra), though the lunar month names remained intact. I had obtained
them in this post:

From: (Yusuf B Gursey)
Subject: solarmonthsin libya
Date: 1999/06/26
Newsgroups: sci.lang

I obtained the following e-mail response:

========

these are the names:

Jan-------- ay el nar
Feb-------- el nowar
Mar ------- al rabee3 (the spring)
Apr--------- al teer (the bird)
May-------- al maa (the water)
Jun --------- al saeef (the summer)
July ------- Naseer (the month of July revelution ,Abdelnaser)
Aug------- Hanibal
Sep ------ al Fatah (the name of the libyan revelution)
Oct ------- al tomoor (the fruitful month)
Nov ------ al 7arth
Dec ------ al kanoon

I am not sure when exactly adopted, but I guess at the end of 1986 and
they still used in libya since that day.

the other thing ,in libya they use the born date of the prophet
Mohamed
for the year ,for example this year is 1429 mim (mim=meladeya ,ya3nee
milad el rasool) ,and when they say 1999 ,they say 1999 fa ( fa=
efranjee).

Libya
The names of months used in Libya were derived from various sources,
and were assembled after Muammar al-Gaddafi's seizure of power in
1969.

No. Month Arabic Name In Arabic
1 January أين النار aynu n-nār
2 February النوار an-nuwwār
3 March الربيع ar-rabī
4 April الطير al-tayr
5 May الماء al-mā'
6 June الصيف al-sayf
7 July ناصر nāsir
8 August هانيبال hānībāl
9 September الفات* al-fātieh
10 October التمور، الثمور at-tumūr; al-thumūr
11 November ال*رث al-harth
12 December الكانون al-kānūn

these seem to have become obsolete. in images from the rebels I see
the months based on North African Romance, used throughout much of the
Arab world (see the list on top of this post). not surprising. but I
saw them from an image from one of the press conferences of Qaddafi.

Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia have their own variants and appear to taking
their cues from French:

Algeria

جانفييه, فيفرييه, مارس, أفريل, مي, جوان, جوييه, أوت, سبتمبر, اكتوبر, نوفمبر,
ديسمبر

*zh*anfiyeh, fefriyeh, maaris, afriil, *zh*waan, *zh*wiiyeh, 'awt,
sibtambar, 'uktubar, nufambar, disambar

Morocco

يناير, فبراير, مارس, ابريل, ماي, يونيو, يوليوز, غشت, شتنبر, اكتوبر, نونبر,
دجنبر

yanaayir, fibraayir, maaris, abriil, mayy, yuuniyuu, yuuliyuuz, *gh*usht,
*sh*itanbir, 'oktobir, nonbar, di*zh*anbir

Tunisia

جانفي, فيفري, مارس, افريل, ماي, جوان, جويلية, اوت, سبتمبر, اكتوبر, نوفمبر,
ديسمبر

*zh*anfii, fefrii, maaris, afriil, mayy, *zh*waan, *zh*wiiliyeh, 'awt,
sibtambar, 'oktobar, nuufembar, diisembar

Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and Lebanon share a system which is totally unrelated

and Palestine.

to European languages but which nevertheless (unless I'm mistaken)
corresponds exactly to the Western calendar:

but in colloquials like in Lebanon some of the non-ArabicTurkish
(latin greek or slavic based) names are used.

كانون الثاني, شباط, آذار, نيسان, أيار, *زيران, تموز, آب, أيلول, تشرين الأول,
تشرين الثاني, كانون الأول

kaanuun a*th*-*th*aani, *sh*abaaT, 'aa*dh*aar, niisaan, 'ayaar, Heziraan,
tamuuz, 'aab, 'ayluul, ti*sh*riin al-'aawal, ti*sh*riin a*th*-*th*aani,
kaanuun al-'aawal

From: (Yusuf B Gursey)
Date: 1999/06/26
Newsgroups: sci.lang

[...]

It's interesting to see that Qaddafi's weirdness and inconsistency found its
way even into his calendar innovation.
According to this Libyan website
(http://www.libyanyouths.com/vb/t19031.html),
January can be called either اى النار or أين النار (ayyu-n-na:r or
'aynu-n-na:r, or maybe 'aina-n-na:r --- vocalisation is not shown). In any
case, the month's name could seem to pose a question ('aina-n-na:r = where
is the fire?)
(ayyu-n-na:r = which fire?)
(If vocalised ainu-n-na:r, I suppose it could mean "the where of fire" or
the "space" of fire).
The website explains the reason for the name:
"سبب التسمية انه يكون الجو شتاء والبرد ولذلك الناس تب*ث عن النار لتتدفىء بها
"
("The reason for the naming is that it is winter and it is cold and
therefore people looking for fire to warm themselves")

So, I guess it's conceivable that it *is* 'ayna-n-naar (where's the fire?).
But then what's meant by ayyu -n-na:r ? (which fire?)

To expect Qaddafi to make sense, of course, is unreasonable. I'm reminded
of one of his simultaneous translators giving up halfway through one of his
rambling speeches, saying, in effect, that he "doesn't even make sense in
Arabic"...

From: (Yusuf B Gursey)
Date: 1999/06/26
Newsgroups: sci.lang

[...]

Qaddafi also changed the era. the solar era from the traditional date
of the birth of Muhammad and the Islamic lunar era from the death of
Muhammad (which normally is counted from the Hegirah, his flight to
Madina). he did not chnge the names of the lunar months.

the late Niyazov (adopting the name Turkmenbashi "Chief of the
Turkmen") also invented a new claendar after the names of family!