Validation

Old September 5th 08, 09:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin R. Howell[_5_]

Default Validation

To my way of thinking, the role of life in the universe could be to
allow all things to exist - including the concept of time. No life,
no time. No time, no universe.

Martin R. Howell
Moderated sci.astro.amateur
www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org
Old September 5th 08, 09:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Sep 5, 2:23*pm, Martin R. Howell
wrote:
To my way of thinking, the role of life in the universe could be to
allow all things to exist - including the concept of time. *No life,
no time. *No time, no universe.

There is a way of thinking that leads to such a consequence. But I
thought that view was punctured by the example of Schrodinger's Cat.

I'm heavily into reductionism, myself, so I think that people exist
because molecules let them, not the other way around.

John Savard
Old September 5th 08, 10:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tom Hise

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 13:23:37 -0700, Martin R. Howell
wrote:

To my way of thinking, the role of life in the universe could be to
allow all things to exist - including the concept of time. No life,
no time. No time, no universe.

Life has no ROLE in the universe. It may be a phenomena of the universe
but hardly has any causal relationship. The universe doesn't care about
your thinking.

Old September 6th 08, 01:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert Hyman

In Martin R. Howell
wrote:

To my way of thinking, the role of life in the universe could be to
allow all things to exist - including the concept of time. No life,
no time. No time, no universe.

Here's a hint: the universe takes absolutely no notice of your
existence.

Martin R. Howell
Moderated sci.astro.amateur
www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org

Well, that's one strong point against your "moderation".

And, good luck.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old September 6th 08, 03:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin R. Howell[_5_]

On 06 Sep 2008 00:56:27 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

And, good luck.

With what?
Old September 6th 08, 03:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TMA[_9_]

Great stuff!

Interview with Physicist Steven Weinberg
http://www.meta-library.net/transcript/wein-body.html

Old September 6th 08, 04:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Pierre Vandevennne

Martin R. Howell wrote in
:

On 06 Sep 2008 00:56:27 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

And, good luck.

With what?

Well, the Universe I guess :-)
Old September 6th 08, 12:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

wrote:

To my way of thinking, the role of life in the universe could be to
allow all things to exist - including the concept of time. *No life,
no time. *No time, no universe.

Life has no ROLE in the universe. *It may be a phenomena of the universe
but hardly has any causal relationship. *The universe doesn't care about
your thinking.

* *Interview with Physicist Steven Weinberg
* * *http://www.meta-library.net/transcript/wein-body.html

Maybe you should give Stephen here a call and let him know that he is
trapped inside Isaac's nightmare for how was a mathematician like
Newton to know that Flamsteed screwed up with his proof for constant
daily rotation through 360 degrees in 23 hours 56 minutes 04 seconds.

The worst part of this Sam is that I practice and enjoy the
denominational side of my faith but the central body of men looking
after the Christian astronomical heritage appear to be no better or
worse than your 'universe doesn't care' crowd .

Woe is me !,the universe doesn't care and this is supposed to be
astronomy !.No wonder you lot are miserable with nothing to talk
about,I would too if that was a conclusion I came to.

Old September 6th 08, 02:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Michael McCulloch

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 00:47:58 GMT, Sam Wormley
wrote:

Interview with Physicist Steven Weinberg
http://www.meta-library.net/transcript/wein-body.html

Thanks for that link. It led me to a wealth of thoughtful discourse on
the topic of science and religion (e.g. www.counterbalance.net). It is
refreshing to read and listen to content that is allowed to "breathe"
without the dogma of either extreme viewpoint.

The only downside is that it requires RealPlayer. :-( Thank goodness
for virtual operating systems capability.

---
Michael McCulloch
Old September 6th 08, 03:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 6, 3:18*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
oriel36 wrote:
On Sep 6, 2:47 am, Sam Wormley wrote:
* *Interview with Physicist Steven Weinberg
* * *http://www.meta-library.net/transcript/wein-body.html

Maybe you should give Stephen here a call and let him know that he is
trapped inside Isaac's nightmare for how was a mathematician like
Newton to know that Flamsteed screwed up with his proof for constant
daily rotation through 360 degrees in 23 hours 56 minutes 04 seconds.

* *Independent of dead guys, most any amateur astronomer can measure
* *the time it takes for the earth to rotate exactly once (360°), i..e.,
* *any star "crossing" a meridian -- 23h 56m 4.090530833s or there
* *abouts.

I don't get this no matter how many times I see it proposed ,whether
it by an individual or an institution,not just the technical details
which are beyond all doubt that daily rotation through 360 degrees is
Not anywhere near 23 hours 56 min 04 seconds but the absolute nature
of its acceptance for no good ends.

The website you reference is the same one that should horrify any
reasonable person -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sidéreo.en.png

The 3 minute 56 second difference between 24 hours and 23 hours 56
minutes 04 seconds shows an equable noon cycle,a constant orbital
motion and a constant orbital distance from the Sun with the only
thing missing being a smiley face on the Sun.Has anybody,and I mean
anybody,the slightest inkling that when such as system is proposed and
without the slightest objection,that things are going to stray so
badly off-course that a flat Earth concept is far more preferable than
what is on offer.This business of creating orrery type visualisations
may actually be the source of the problem,there is no observations
whatsoever that supports the 'sidereal time' justification for axial
and orbital motion no more than the misinterpetation of Kepler's Panis
Quadragesimalis supports Newton's hideous view and resolution for
retrogrades.

To think that I have yet to find one person who can reason their way
through that constant 3 minute 56 second difference each 24 hours
knowing it takes the calendar system to work and therefore it is
impossible to express orbital motion within a 365/366 day framework.