Where was the Great Martian Ghoul?

Old May 27th 08, 06:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

Default Where was the Great Martian Ghoul?

Congratulations to the JPL team for getting Phoenix down safely, and avoiding the menace
known as the Great Martian Ghoul. Now, just where was the GMG? Was he asleep at his
post? Just maybe he was on a diet, and had to let this one go. He will be lurking, though, for
MSL when the time comes.
Old May 27th 08, 07:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Matt Wiser wrote:
Congratulations to the JPL team for getting Phoenix down safely, and avoiding the menace
known as the Great Martian Ghoul. Now, just where was the GMG? Was he asleep at his
post? Just maybe he was on a diet, and had to let this one go. He will be lurking, though, for
MSL when the time comes.

You will not that the GMG had a tendency to eat far more Russian than US
spacecraft.
All in all, our spacecraft have done fairly well in regards to Mars,
certainly better than our early unmanned Moon probes.

Pat
Old May 27th 08, 08:14 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 27 May 2008 01:31:08 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

All in all, our spacecraft have done fairly well in regards to Mars,
certainly better than our early unmanned Moon probes.

....Which raises the question: what's next on his possible dinner
plate?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 27th 08, 09:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

OM wrote:

Good question. My guess would be that he'll try for MSL when it goes. While the GMG has
dined on far more Russian food than American, he's had a considerable appetite regardless.
Any mission, orbiter or lander, has to get by him. He snacked on Beagle 2 and also had a
Japanese meal, so he's probably got stomach trouble from the multinational diet.
Old May 27th 08, 06:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bash

] OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld [
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
] an obnoxious opinion in your day! [
]=====================================[

Already happening:-

Apparently the GMG got diverted to LEO and is snacking on the space
station toilet ;-)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24841375/

Old May 27th 08, 07:51 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Bash wrote:
Already happening:-

Apparently the GMG got diverted to LEO and is snacking on the space
station toilet ;-)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24841375/

"The current round of trouble started last Wednesday in the
Russian-built Zvezda service module, the station's main living room, as
noted in a NASA status report: 'While using the toilet system in the
Service Module, the crew heard a loud noise and the fan stopped
working. After some troubleshooting the crew reported that the
air/water separator was not working.' "

This happens to me when I eat too much cheese. The "stalactite" emerges.
I still like the fan down inside the toilet; which suggests the
operating instructions next to the toilet: "Now, having placed your ass
directly above the rotating blades...." :-D

Pat
Old May 27th 08, 08:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Glen Overby[_1_]

Matt Wiser wrote:
known as the Great Martian Ghoul. Now, just where was the GMG? Was he
asleep at his
post? Just maybe he was on a diet, and had to let this one go. He will

Still digesting MGS?
Old May 27th 08, 09:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones

Some of the more recent probes consumed by the GMG were actually
spoiled and made the GMG ill. Only after finally purging the last
bits of those will the GMG be able to go back to a solid food diet of
Earthprobes. Until then it has to make do with the vapor of armchair
rocket designs.

rick jones
Old May 28th 08, 08:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bash

This happens to me when I eat too much cheese. The "stalactite" emerges.
I still like the fan down inside the toilet; which suggests the
operating instructions next to the toilet: "Now, having placed your ass
directly above the rotating blades...." :-D

Pat

And imagine the result if the flush mechanism used space vacuum
assistance...... ;-)
Old May 31st 08, 03:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

wrote:

All in all, our spacecraft have done fairly well in regards to Mars,
certainly better than our early unmanned Moon probes.

...Which raises the question: what's next on his possible dinner
plate?

Tim Robbins

--
Terrell Miller

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee - that
will do them in."
- Bradley's Bromide