Ancient Meteor Blast May Have Caused Extinctions (Forwarded)

Old June 19th 07, 06:12 AM posted to sci.bio.paleontology,sci.physics,sci.astro
mathematician

Default Ancient Meteor Blast May Have Caused Extinctions (Forwarded)

On Jun 16, 10:34 pm, "George" wrote:
"mathematician" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 15, 9:01 pm, "George" wrote:
"mathematician" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jun 15, 2:12 pm, "George" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

"Bob Cain" wrote in message
m...
George wrote:

I am very familiar with impact calculators. I use the one on the
University of Arizona'a web site all the time. But you are
missing
the
point here. If it strikes a 10,000 feet thick ice sheet in a
remote
area,
there necessarily isn't going to be any forest that the resulting
impact
can burn because the entire landscape is covered by ***a 10,000
feet
thick
ice sheet***.

*Until* the object impacts. Do you think that ice would stop that
size object from impacting whatever is beneath it with enough
energy
left to splash magma all over the damn planet and start fires on
the
other damn side of it? Maybe it would only result in steam, as
you
imply, but that's not what I saw on TV. :-)

Bob

Umm, Bob (I can call you bob, right?). You should take what you
see
on
TV with a grain of salt.

Using the University of Arizona's impact calculator and inputing
data
for
a 5 km diameter bolide with a density of dense rock impacting (in
this
case, water, since ice isn't available as a target in the impact
calculator) 10,000 meters of water, for an observer 1,000 km away,
here's
what we get:

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 1000.00 km = 621.00 miles
Projectile Diameter: 5000.00 m = 16400.00 ft = 3.10 miles
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 11.00 km/s = 6.83 miles/s
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 1000 kg/m3
Target Type: Liquid Water of depth 3048.00 meters, over typical
rock.
Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.19 x 1022 Joules = 2.84 x 106
MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on
Earth
during the last 4 billion years is 1.0 x 107years
Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses
negligible
mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the Earth's
rotation
period or the tilt of its axis.
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.
Crater Dimensions:
What does this mean?

The crater opened in the water has a diameter of 48.9 km = 30.3
miles

For the crater formed in the seafloor:
Transient Crater Diameter: 25.3 km = 15.7 miles
Transient Crater Depth: 8.94 km = 5.55 miles

Final Crater Diameter: 38.7 km = 24 miles
Final Crater Depth: 0.889 km = 0.552 miles
The crater formed is a complex crater.
At this impact velocity ( 12 km/s), little shock melting of the
target
occurs.
Thermal Radiation:
What does this mean?

At this impact velocity ( 15 km/s), little vaporization
occurs;
no
fireball is created, therefore, there is no thermal radiation
damage.
Seismic Effects:
What does this mean?

The major seismic shaking will arrive at approximately 200
seconds.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 8.7
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 1000 km:

III. Felt quite noticeably by persons indoors, especially on
upper
floors of buildings. Many people do not recognize it as an
earthquake.
Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Vibrations similar to the
passing
of a truck.

IV. Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At
night,
some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make
cracking
sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor
cars
rocked noticeably.

Ejecta:
What does this mean?

The ejecta will arrive approximately 494 seconds after the
impact.
At your position the ejecta arrives in scattered fragments
Average Ejecta Thickness: 3.65 mm = 0.144 inches
Mean Fragment Diameter: 570 micrometers = 22.4 1/1000 of an inch

Air Blast:
What does this mean?

The air blast will arrive at approximately 3030 seconds.
Peak Overpressu 14900 Pa = 0.149 bars = 2.12 psi
Max wind velocity: 33.2 m/s = 74.2 mph
Sound Intensity: 83 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)
Damage Description:

Glass windows will shatter.

So the impact doesn't spew hot lava all over the place since
there
is
no fireball (thus, no thermal radiation damage), and certainly if
it
struck ice instead of water, the effects would likely be much less
than
this for this distance.

Here is the link, try it:

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

George

Yes OK, I took a quick look to the reference text (link to this paper
was found from your reference).

I have also found one present possible dangerous asteroid. Here are
references of it which I found:

Present situation in the Risk Page (many of these will be removed
when enough accurate measurements are available)

NeoDys Risk Page

http://newton.dm.unipi.it/cgi-bin/ne...iskpage:0;main

One present example (diameter=0.270 km, H=19.7, this is maybe
dangerous)

(99942) Apophis - impactor table
Object: 99942

date MJD sigma sigimp dist +/- width
stretch p_RE exp. en. PS
YYYY/MM (RE) (RE) RE/
sig MT
2036/04/13.371 64796.371 -2.470 0.000 1.15 +/- 0.003 3.32E+03
2.07E-05 8.26E-03 -2.57
2042/04/13.720 66987.720 -2.494 0.000 1.41 +/- 0.000 1.12E+06
5.26E-08 2.10E-05 -5.24
2044/04/13.296 67718.296 -2.434 0.000 2.08 +/- 0.000 6.27E+05
3.57E-08 1.42E-05 -5.44
2069/04/13.078 76849.078 2.112 0.000 0.97 +/- 0.000 3.74E+05
4.41E-07 1.76E-04 -4.56
2069/10/15.971 77034.971 1.466 0.000 0.48 +/- 0.160 1.52E+06
3.81E-07 1.52E-04 -4.63
2072/10/15.333 78130.333 -3.870 0.000 0.48 +/- 0.089 6.09E+06
1.57E-10 6.26E-08 -8.03
2076/07/30.873 79514.873 2.720 1.214 34.89 +/- 26.902 1.49E+07
3.73E-11 1.44E-08 -8.69

Based on 1000 optical observations (of which 5 are rejected as
outliers)
from 2004/03/15.108 to 2006/08/16.627, and also on seven radar data
points
on 2005/01/27, 2005/01/29, 2005/01/31, 2005/08/07 and 2006/05/06.

Coordinates are given on the Target Plane
Unit is one Earth radius, but impact cross section
has radius between 2.15 and 2.16 Earth radii

http://newton.dm.unipi.it/cgi-bin/ne...s:Apophis;main
http://newton.dm.unipi.it/cgi-bin/ne...:Apophis;statp....
http://newton.dm.unipi.it/cgi-bin/ne...:Apophis;prope....
http://earn.dlr.de/nea/099942.htm
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=99942;orb=1 (simulation of the
orbit,
possible impact velocity can be esitimated from this ?)

Conversion of Absolute Magnitude (H) to Diameter

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/Sizes.html

This is quite inaccurate method to estimate diameters, but it is only
available method ?

Hannu

As of August 5, 2006, the threat level for Apophis had been reduced to
level 0. As for your question about estimating diameters, I don't have
good answer for you at this time. I'll check back with you if I figure
one
out.

George

I roughly estimated the velocity difference of Apophis and Earth (they
are orbiting same direction quite close each others as we see in the
simulation pictures referenced above) and I got that possible
impact velosity would be about 1 km/s, if I calculated right ?

The exact diamenter is little uncertain and there was an earlier
estimation of H which was H=19.20, which gave range
430 m-970 m (http://earn.dlr.de/nea/99942.htm, printed 19.8.2005),
but present estimation is 270 m ?

How big tsunamis would this cause if it would hit in some ocean ?

Hannu

According to the impact calculator, if the object is 270 meters in
diameter, and consists of dense rock, and is traveling at 1 km/s at a 45
degree angle relative to the earth's surface, it will break up in the
atmosphere at an altitude of 28,200 ft. If the object is 439 meters in
diameter, then using the same parameters as before, the object will break
up in the atmosphere at an altitude of 28,400 ft, which is an odd result.
Using a diameter of 970 meters, the object would break up at 28,500 ft,
again, an odd result. Obviously, either the program has some errors in the

read more »

A. It would then be like "a shot with a shotgun" (v = about 1km/s, hit
angle to the Earth's
atmosphere = more close to 90 than 45 ?), many fragments of different
sizes results ?

How do we know that there is no big iron fragments included in the
structure of Apophis ?

If I remember right there was also some fragmented iron (?) meteorite
which hit to
Estonia about 2400 years ago (there was a TV-program some time ago
about
this in finnish TV) ?

I just think that could these meteorites about 13000 years ago, about
2400 years ago
and Apophis have anything properties in common ?

B. I found an abstract from the net about determination of H (and also
diameter) of Apophis:

( http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ine&aid=998112
)

---COPY BELOW-----
Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union (2007), 2: 451-454
Cambridge University Press
doi:10.1017/S1743921307003560
Published online by Cambridge University Press 03May2007

Contributed Papers
Albedo and size of (99942) Apophis from polarimetric observations†
Alberto Cellinoa1, Marco Delbňa1a2 and Edward F. Tedescoa3

a1 INAF-Osservatorio Astronomico di Torino, strada Osservatorio 20,
10025 Pino Torinese, Italy email:
a2 Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur, BP 229, Nice, France email:

a3 University of New Hampshire, USA email:

Abstract.

We have obtained the first accurate determination of the albedo of
(99942) Apophis, by means of polarimetric observations carried out at
the VLT. The observations allowed us to obtain the slope of the
polarization-phase curve of this object, from which an albedo estimate
of 0.33 ± 0.04 could be obtained. From our observations we also
obtained a new estimate of the absolute magnitude: H = 19.7 ± 0.2
(assuming G=0.25, which applies to S- and Q-type asteroids). Based on
these results, we derive for the size of Apophis a value of 270 ± 30
meters. The accuracy of this size estimate is mostly related to
uncertainties in H, whereas the obtained albedo value should be
considered more robust. Our observations convincingly show that
polarimetry is an effective and efficient tool to obtain accurate
albedos and sizes for small and faint potentially hazardous asteroids.

Key Words: Asteroids; polarization

Footnotes
† Based on observations obtained at the European Southern Observatory
(ESO), DDT request 276.C-5030
---COPY ABOVE-----

Old June 19th 07, 01:57 PM posted to sci.bio.paleontology,sci.physics,sci.astro
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In sci.bio.paleontology mathematician wrote:

Sheesh ... care to post edit next time? You don't have to post ALL the
previous text with each post.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free.
-- Linus Torvalds

Old June 19th 07, 05:42 PM posted to sci.bio.paleontology,sci.physics,sci.astro
mathematician

To George:

A. It would then be like "a shot with a shotgun" (v = about 1km/s, hit
angle to the Earth's atmosphere = between 0 to 90 (45 is average
estimate ?)),
many fragments of different sizes results ?

How do we know that there is no big iron fragments included in the
structure of Apophis which could possible cause tsunamis if hit into
ocean?

If I remember right there was also some fragmented iron (?) meteorite
which hit to Estonia about 2400 years ago (there was a TV-program
some time ago about this in finnish TV) ?

I just think that could these meteorites about 13000 years ago, about
2400 years ago and Apophis have anything properties in common
(and maybe there exist also other possible years ) ???

I found one interesting reference (possible could be related to this
phenomena if enough properties in common exists ???) but
unfortunately I don't have that paper on my hands now:

Kerr, R. A., 1992.
Earth Gains a Retinue of Mini Asteroids.
Science, vol. 258, no. 5081, Oct 16, p. 403.

I must read this in the library. I comment it later if I find it.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action...omPage=online&...

--COPY BELOW-----
Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union (2007), 2: 451-454
Cambridge University Press
doi:10.1017/S1743921307003560
Published online by Cambridge University Press 03May2007

Contributed Papers
Albedo and size of (99942) Apophis from polarimetric observationsâ€*
Alberto Cellinoa1, Marco Delbòa1a2 and Edward F. Tedescoa3

a1 INAF-Osservatorio Astronomico di Torino, strada Osservatorio 20,
10025 Pino Torinese, Italy email:
a2 Observatoire de la CĂ´te d'Azur, BP 229, Nice, France email:

[...]

â€* Based on observations obtained at the European Southern Observatory
(ESO), DDT request 276.C-5030
---COPY ABOVE-----

http://journals.cambridge.org/action...omPage=online&...

Hannu

(I'am sorry about I did not notice long reply texts
which google generated automatically. They are quite
annoying.)

Old June 19th 07, 06:06 PM posted to sci.bio.paleontology,sci.physics,sci.astro
Hannu Poropudas

I found one discussion in the the of this article

From: (Jim Scotti x2717)
Newsgroups: sci.space
Date: 4 Nov 92 20:47:44 GMT