Weather squadron protects shuttle, crews (Forwarded)

Old April 27th 05, 05:48 AM
A. Yee

Default Weather squadron protects shuttle, crews (Forwarded)

Air Force Space Command News Service

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 18, 2005

Story ID 05-111

Weather squadron protects shuttle, crews
Tech. Sgt Lisa Luse, 45th SW Public Affairs

PATRICK AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- Predicting snowfall or blinding
sandstorms are not on the checklist for the 45th Space Wing Weather
Squadron who methodically calculate and determine if the weather will
threaten a future shuttle launch. However, rain, lightning, wind and
cloud coverage are at the top of the "be on the look-out list" for any
shuttle, missile or rocket that is destined for space.

Weather forecasting is one of the most significant tools used to
calculate ideal conditions for a safe launch for both the crew and the
shuttle. The 45th Weather Squadron spends countless hours planning and
predicting the "hot spots," because bad weather can instantly delay or
"scrub" the launch.

The typical weather restrictions for a launch include wind, rain, high
or low temperatures, and lightning. "We have temperature, wind and rain
constraints due to the height of a vehicle," said Capt. Mike McAleenan,
launch weather officer. "All launches have the same constraints."

High or low temperatures can cause a delay in a launch. Temperatures
that go as high as 99 degrees Fahrenheit for more than thirty
consecutive minutes are considered too high to launch a vehicle. On the
other hand, very low temperatures that are 48 degrees Fahrenheit or
lower also require an evaluation of the wind as a combined concern for
the vehicle.

Sometimes, the experts are looking for more than one condition that
could cause problems for the launch. "More complicated is the combined
effect of the temperatures that involve wind, temperature and rain that
have to be determined," said Kathy Winters, shuttle launch weather
officer. "We use a table to evaluate these conditions and average the
results."

Natural and triggered lightning restrictions include evaluating clouds
and weather inside ten nautical miles of the launch pad. Along with
lightning, rain can damage the shuttle as it increases in speed through
the atmosphere. As rain hits the outside of the spacecraft, beads of
water can hit like small rocks pelting the side. As rain freezes, ice
forms on the craft’s surface. In the event the spacecraft’s surface is
damaged or changed, the difference in the surface could affect the
structure enough to dangerously change direction and turn it off course.

"Any cloud within 10 nautical miles is closely monitored," Ms. Winters
said. "We have all of these different measurements of miles to
standardize all launches. The main focus is within the 10 mile range.
The peak wind constraint is 23-34 knots, depending upon the direction of
the wind."

Heavy cloud coverage can adversely affect the visibility of the cameras
that are designed to keep an "eye" on various parts of the shuttle.
Space shuttle Discovery has new cameras that can be affected by bad
weather, Captain McAleenan said. The cameras are used to view and detect
any debris that falls off or around the shuttle during flight. There is
a new external tank design for Discovery that officials will watch
closely. Abysmal weather would prevent them from making those
observations. Officials have also added more ground cameras to watch the
shuttle as it lifts off. Cameras are set up along the coast, just north
and south of the launch pad. In addition, two aircraft will fly to
55,000 feet to take photos from their perspective.

After a shuttle launch, the external tank of the orbiter is released
into the ocean. Once it is retrieved, it travels on a barge up and down
the Banana River to and from the Vehicle Assembly River Basin. The tank
is offloaded and transported to the Vehicle Assembly Building. Recovery
operations include the External Tank Transports from Michoud,
Mississippi to port. "We also do post-launch work, such as the arrival
of the external tank," Ms. Winters said. "We give them an idea of what
kind of weather to expect."

It is critical to have the weather forecast and to understand the
current conditions of the ocean during a external tank recovery. "The
sea state, wind and other effects of the weather are faxed to the ship
that is to recover the external tank," Captain McAleenan said.

If the shuttle does not land at Kennedy Space Center, a "ferry flight"
is scheduled to bring the shuttle back.

To transport the shuttle, the "ferry flight," a modified Boeing 747,
also known as the Shuttle Carrying Aircraft, is flown back to KSC with
the shuttle on top. Weather conditions for this flight are also critical.

"We also have a Department of Defense Manned Spaceflight coordinator
providing weather information to DDMS concerning the possibility of
using the Transoceanic Abort Landing site," the captain said. There are
three TAL sites where weather forecasters take complete surface and
upper-air observations and forward the information to DDMS. The three
sites are located at Istres, France; and Zaragoza and Moron, Spain.

Air balloons are frequently used to gather weather updates. "Observation
of the upper air with balloons will check the wind, temperature and rain
of the area," Ms. Winters said. We also provide weather updates to the
DDMS to coordinate any search and rescue that may be necessary."

Before they pass their forecast to officials, the weather team gathers
bits of information from many sources to develop their idea of a picture
perfect successful launch. "Whenever any spacecraft is exposed to the
elements, we will make sure the weather is compatible for the flight,"
Ms. Winters said. "We provide 24/7 weather resource protection."
Old April 28th 05, 09:00 AM
Brian Gaff

Do they really retrieve the tank? I thought it was destroyed?

Brian

Email:

Old April 28th 05, 03:05 PM
ed kyle

Brian Gaff wrote:
Do they really retrieve the tank?

Only if the weather is good.

- Ed Kyle

Old April 28th 05, 05:14 PM
John

I am sure by the way article reads, that what was really meant was . .
..that the SRB's not the ET, are recovered, in sometimes less than
perfect conditions. Weather, especially sea state must have made for
some great "fishing stories" in the past (hint . . hint).

The ET is not recovered.

I apologize now for the sudafed "enhanced" prose. Blue skies

John