Unusal sun+moon observation?

Old December 27th 04, 07:29 PM
Paul Clark

Default Unusal sun+moon observation?

Hi

At ~ 15:30 yesterday (26/12) I noticed the moon low on the NE horizon, 'full
moon' had occured ~ 25 mins earlier.

On turning around I could see the sun low down in the SW.

I was therefore able to see the post-opposition moon and the sun at the
'same' time.

Is this a common occurence? Is this phenomenon a manifestation of the
differing orbital planes of the objects involved??

Regards
Paul

Old December 28th 04, 02:03 AM
Yokel

"Paul Clark" wrote in message
| Hi
|
| At ~ 15:30 yesterday (26/12) I noticed the moon low on the NE horizon,
'full
| moon' had occured ~ 25 mins earlier.
|
| On turning around I could see the sun low down in the SW.
|
| I was therefore able to see the post-opposition moon and the sun at the
| 'same' time.
|
| Is this a common occurence? Is this phenomenon a manifestation of the
| differing orbital planes of the objects involved??

There are two effects he

1) Our good friend refraction, which causes objects near the horizon to
appear between 0.5 and 1 degree above their "real" positions.

2) The moon's orbit is inclined to the ecliptic (plane of earth's orbit
round the sun) by about 5 degrees. The "nodes", or points where the orbital
planes intersect precess by a whole revolution in about 18-19 years (which
is why the times of year when eclipses take place drift earlier from year to
year). At the present time, the nodes are located such that the moon's
orbit is north of the ecliptic in the direction of Gemini and south of it in
the direction of Sagittarius, so the moon currently swings north and south
in declination through a greater range than the sun. This would be
especially noticeable from places such as Orkney and Shetland where in
midwinter the full moon will hardly set and in summer the full moon will
barely appear at all. In about 10 years time the opposite situation will
apply and you will have to be well north of the Arctic Circle to see the
"Midday (full) Moon" near the winter solstice.

So the moon is both several degrees north of the position directly opposite
of the sun and appears a little higher in the sky than it should (as does
the sun). At the solstices the ecliptic plane also makes the shallowest
angle with the horizon at sunrise/sunset, making the effect of the full moon
being north or south of it as great as possible. All these effects are
adding together to make possible the effect you observed.

The extreme north declination of the moon is heading for a maximum in the
next year or two, after which it will decrease. So you should be able to
see this effect at this time of year for a few years, then it will no longer
be possible for a decade or so as the moon will not go far enough north to
allow it. But instead for a time you may notice a similar effect with the
midsummer full moon.

In the intervening years, when eclipses take place near midsummer and
midwinter, the full moon will pass north of the antisolar postion at one
equinox and south of it at the other, but because the plane of the ecliptic
is at a steeper angle to the horizon at these times, the effect of the moon
being north or south of it will be less noticeable than at other times.
This is also an effect which is much less noticeable at the equator but has
its greatest effect near the Arctic and Antarctic circles where it is
possible to have the midnight sun and the full moon or to see neither
depending on location and the state of precession of the moon's orbit.
--
- Yokel -
oo oo

"Yokel" now posts via a spam-trap account.
Replace my alias with stevejudd to reply.

Old December 28th 04, 10:46 AM
Mike Dworetsky

"Paul Clark" wrote in message
Hi

At ~ 15:30 yesterday (26/12) I noticed the moon low on the NE horizon,

'full
moon' had occured ~ 25 mins earlier.

On turning around I could see the sun low down in the SW.

I was therefore able to see the post-opposition moon and the sun at the
'same' time.

Is this a common occurence? Is this phenomenon a manifestation of the
differing orbital planes of the objects involved??

Regards
Paul

The definition of Full Moon is when the longitude of the Moon is 180 degrees
from the longitude of the Sun. But the Moon's orbit is inclined by nearly 6
degrees and it was N of the ecliptic at that time, so (especially in higher
northern latitudes such as in the UK) in these circumstances, the formally
defined Full Moon would be above the horizon before the Sun set below it.

Close examination of the Full Moon would reveal that there was a terminator,
shadows, etc along one side, i.e., the disk was not 100% illuminated.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old December 28th 04, 11:07 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated Tue, 28
Dec 2004 10:46:05, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Mike Dworetsky
posted :

The definition of Full Moon is when the longitude of the Moon is 180 degrees
from the longitude of the Sun. But the Moon's orbit is inclined by nearly 6
degrees and it was N of the ecliptic at that time, so (especially in higher
northern latitudes such as in the UK) in these circumstances, the formally
defined Full Moon would be above the horizon before the Sun set below it.

I don't think that we ever decided here how nearly circumpolar the Moon
could be from the UK - the next chance seems to be sometime in 2006, so
now should be a good time to start thinking.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
Old December 29th 04, 07:45 AM
Charles Gilman

A third factor is the human eye and brain. A shape must deviate
substantially from a true circle before it stops looking like one.

Old December 31st 04, 12:33 AM
Yokel

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message
| JRS: In article , dated Tue, 28
| Dec 2004 10:46:05, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Mike Dworetsky
| posted :
|
| The definition of Full Moon is when the longitude of the Moon is 180
degrees
| from the longitude of the Sun. But the Moon's orbit is inclined by
nearly 6
| degrees and it was N of the ecliptic at that time, so (especially in
higher
| northern latitudes such as in the UK) in these circumstances, the
formally
| defined Full Moon would be above the horizon before the Sun set below it.
|

| I don't think that we ever decided here how nearly circumpolar the Moon
| could be from the UK - the next chance seems to be sometime in 2006, so
| now should be a good time to start thinking.

The inclination of the Moon's orbit to the Ecliptic is about 5 degrees.
Therefore under the most favourable conditions you have to be above 60 deg N
or S to see the moon as "Circumpolar" (refraction adds a bit to the 5
degrees). Shetland and Fair Isle may qualify, Orkney distinctly marginal,
the British Mainland (which is less than 59 deg N) will not. However, from
northern Scotland it will be noticeable for the next few winters how little
time the December full moon spends below the horizon.
--
- Yokel -
oo oo

Old December 31st 04, 07:04 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated Fri, 31 Dec
2004 00:33:08, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Yokel
posted :

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

| I don't think that we ever decided here how nearly circumpolar the Moon
| could be from the UK - the next chance seems to be sometime in 2006, so
| now should be a good time to start thinking.

The inclination of the Moon's orbit to the Ecliptic is about 5 degrees.
Therefore under the most favourable conditions you have to be above 60 deg N
or S to see the moon as "Circumpolar" (refraction adds a bit to the 5
degrees). Shetland and Fair Isle may qualify, Orkney distinctly marginal,
the British Mainland (which is less than 59 deg N) will not. However, from
northern Scotland it will be noticeable for the next few winters how little
time the December full moon spends below the horizon.

ISTR we already got further than that. Orkney seems out, Fair Isle is
scarcely further north. In Shetland, Muckle Flugga is at 60 deg 51' N,
and, ISTR, has or had a lighthouse. With 23.5 deg tilt + 5 deg tilt,
one needs to be at 68.5 deg, subtract for height and refraction, and it
looks hopeful, on the dubious assumption of fine weather[*]. But one
must also consider the radii : Earth 4000 mi, Moon 1000 mi, difference
3000 mi at 240000 mi which is 1 in 80 or about 0.7 deg adverse effect.

We may need first to invade the Faeroes; that gains well over a degree.

[*] What's the tide there when the Full Moon is to the North? Low tide
would help.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old January 1st 05, 12:32 AM
Grimble Gromble

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message
JRS: In article , dated Fri, 31 Dec
2004 00:33:08, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Yokel
posted :

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

| I don't think that we ever decided here how nearly circumpolar the Moon
| could be from the UK - the next chance seems to be sometime in 2006, so
| now should be a good time to start thinking.

The inclination of the Moon's orbit to the Ecliptic is about 5 degrees.
Therefore under the most favourable conditions you have to be above 60 deg
or S to see the moon as "Circumpolar" (refraction adds a bit to the 5
degrees). Shetland and Fair Isle may qualify, Orkney distinctly marginal,
the British Mainland (which is less than 59 deg N) will not. However,
from
northern Scotland it will be noticeable for the next few winters how
little
time the December full moon spends below the horizon.

ISTR we already got further than that. Orkney seems out, Fair Isle is
scarcely further north. In Shetland, Muckle Flugga is at 60 deg 51' N,
and, ISTR, has or had a lighthouse. With 23.5 deg tilt + 5 deg tilt,
one needs to be at 68.5 deg, subtract for height and refraction, and it
looks hopeful, on the dubious assumption of fine weather[*]. But one
must also consider the radii : Earth 4000 mi, Moon 1000 mi, difference
3000 mi at 240000 mi which is 1 in 80 or about 0.7 deg adverse effect.

We may need first to invade the Faeroes; that gains well over a degree.

[*] What's the tide there when the Full Moon is to the North? Low tide
would help.

Are you sure? High tide would add a few metres of altitude.
Grim

Old January 1st 05, 09:08 PM
Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article , dated Sat, 1
Jan 2005 00:32:19, seen in news:uk.sci.astronomy, Grimble Gromble
posted :

ISTR we already got further than that. Orkney seems out, Fair Isle is
scarcely further north. In Shetland, Muckle Flugga is at 60 deg 51' N,
and, ISTR, has or had a lighthouse. With 23.5 deg tilt + 5 deg tilt,
one needs to be at 68.5 deg, subtract for height and refraction, and it
looks hopeful, on the dubious assumption of fine weather[*]. But one
must also consider the radii : Earth 4000 mi, Moon 1000 mi, difference
3000 mi at 240000 mi which is 1 in 80 or about 0.7 deg adverse effect.

We may need first to invade the Faeroes; that gains well over a degree.

[*] What's the tide there when the Full Moon is to the North? Low tide
would help.

Are you sure? High tide would add a few metres of altitude.

AIUI, it's a lighthouse, not a lightship. One wants the northern
horizon to be lowered.

If one were to row out to the limit of territorial waters, the tidal
state would be unimportant; 12 miles would not help much, but 200 miles
is three degrees.

On a different tack, I see that someone in .fr has telescopically
photographed ISS in transit across the Full Moon.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Delphi 3 Turnpike 4 ©
URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ TP/BP/Delphi/&c., FAQqy topics & links;
Old January 2nd 05, 10:51 AM
Grimble Gromble

[...]

I was actually referring to the tidal movement of the ground, not the water.
A larger tide would increase the angle between the ground and the earth's
spin axis, equivalent to a tiny (very very tiny) increase in latitude.
Surely anything is better than invading the Faeroes?
Grim

Is the Moon Hollow? Sleuths? Imperishable Stars Misc 46 October 8th 04 04:08 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer UK Astronomy 5 April 15th 04 04:45 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat UK Astronomy 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM