He3 on asteroids?

Old January 22nd 04, 04:09 AM
Josh Gigantino

Default He3 on asteroids?

Is there any known or guessed quantity of He3 on asteroids or dead
comets? If an object has been orbitting for 4+ billion years, it
should have collected some from the solar wind. It seems that He3
would be easier to obtain from something like Eros than the Moon, if
it existed in similar density. If there was a supply, collecting and
separating He3 could be much simpler in the micro-G environment.

I did a quick Google and found little, but am wondering what you
think?

Josh
Old January 22nd 04, 08:25 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Josh Gigantino wrote:
Is there any known or guessed quantity of He3 on asteroids or dead
comets? If an object has been orbitting for 4+ billion years, it
should have collected some from the solar wind.

The big uncertainty is that we know essentially nothing about the depth
and age of the regolith on asteroids.

Yeah, there'd probably be some, but whether it's worth exploiting is
another question.

...If there was a supply, collecting and
separating He3 could be much simpler in the micro-G environment.

Or not, as the case may be. Handling fine powders may well be easier
in gravity.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old January 22nd 04, 10:35 PM
quibbler

In article ,
says...
Is there any known or guessed quantity of He3 on asteroids or dead
comets? If an object has been orbitting for 4+ billion years, it
should have collected some from the solar wind. It seems that He3
would be easier to obtain from something like Eros than the Moon, if
it existed in similar density. If there was a supply, collecting and
separating He3 could be much simpler in the micro-G environment.

I did a quick Google and found little, but am wondering what you
think?

In principle some could build up over time. However, he3 would have an
easy time escaping the gravitational attraction of many of the very small
asteroids and comets. Intense sunlight could cook the he3 off the
surface. It's an empirical question as to whether there would be
sufficient quantities to justify extraction. After all, there's gold in
sea water...but not enough gold .

Also, actually getting fusion reactions to run with he3 on a large scale
is not a well developed technology. It's a bit premature to want to mine
he3 anywhere.

Quibbler (quibbler247atyahoo.com)
"It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the
threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus, 'mad cow'
disease, and many others, but I think a case can be
made that faith is one of the world's great evils,
comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to
eradicate." -- Richard Dawkins

Old January 24th 04, 12:26 AM
Hop David

Josh Gigantino wrote:
Is there any known or guessed quantity of He3 on asteroids or dead
comets? If an object has been orbitting for 4+ billion years, it
should have collected some from the solar wind. It seems that He3
would be easier to obtain from something like Eros than the Moon, if
it existed in similar density. If there was a supply, collecting and
separating He3 could be much simpler in the micro-G environment.

I did a quick Google and found little, but am wondering what you
think?

Josh

From pages 204 and 205 of _Mining The Sky_ by John S Lewis

"But the circumstances of the asteroids differ from those we have
studied on the Moon. First, the intensity of the solar wind drops off
roughly with the square of the distance from the Sun. Therefore an
asteroid near 3.2 AU from the Sun experiences a solar wind flux that is
only a tenth that felt by the Moon. Second, accumulation of solar wind
gases on the Moon is aided by 'gardening' of the lunar surface by small
impacts, which constantly expose fresh material to the solar wind and
constantly bury gas-saturated surface grains out of harm's way. On
asteroids, even small impact events can remove regolith material by
ejecting it at speeds greater than the asteroid's tiny escape velocity.
Thus, "mature" surface grains with high contents of implanted gases are
preferentially lost, not preserved. Finally, the total exposed surface
area of the asteroids is less than the surface area of the Moon. For all
these reasons, extraction of helium-3 from the surfaces of asteroids is
not likely to be competitive with that from the Moon."

An excellent book in my opinion.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...92717?v=glance

Although I think the last part of the paragraph must be in error. Surely
the surface area of the asteroids is greater than the Moon's (even
though the Moon outmasses the asteroids).

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old January 26th 04, 12:07 AM
Josh Gigantino

Hop David wrote in message ...

From pages 204 and 205 of _Mining The Sky_ by John S Lewis

snip MTS quote

Although I think the last part of the paragraph must be in error. Surely
the surface area of the asteroids is greater than the Moon's (even
though the Moon outmasses the asteroids).

Thanks Hop! I sometimes forget there are these strange, rectangular
things called "books" next to my computer desk. I've got both "Rain of
Iron & Ice" and "Mining the Sky", I'll brush up on what Mr. Lewis
says.

I agree on the surface area issue. Thousands of roughly spherical
objects all rotating slowly should have a vast collective surface. For
the NEOs that are "rubble piles", there would be that much more
surface area, and a method for trapping He3.

Josh
Old January 29th 04, 04:58 PM
Joseph S. Powell, III

Would Mercury, being much, much closer to the Sun, have a much higher
quantity of He3 than the Moon (not that getting there would be a picnic ?

How about huge He3 collectors at either a solar orbit closer to the sun, or
at one of the LaGrange points, with a surface area of, say, one of the
theorized Solar Power Sattelites envisioned in the 70's - would they work,
or would the amounts of He3 over a reasonable period of time be too
negligable to even consider them?

"Josh Gigantino" wrote in message
om...
Hop David wrote in message

From pages 204 and 205 of _Mining The Sky_ by John S Lewis

snip MTS quote

Old January 30th 04, 04:48 AM
Gordon D. Pusch

"Joseph S. Powell, III" writes:

How about huge He3 collectors at either a solar orbit closer to the sun, or
at one of the LaGrange points, with a surface area of, say, one of the
theorized Solar Power Sattelites envisioned in the 70's -

_WAY_ too small, given the miniscule flux of He3 involved.

would they work,
or would the amounts of He3 over a reasonable period of time be too
negligable to even consider them?

The latter.

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'
Old February 5th 04, 04:55 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Roger Stokes wrote:
Even at .7 ppb of the Earth's atmosphere, I assume it must still be cheaper
right now to refine it on Earth...

You don't get it from the atmosphere. Rather, it's a product of tritium
decay. Most modern nuclear weapons contain small amounts of tritium for
"boosting" fission yield (either of the whole bomb, or of the fission
trigger for a fusion bomb), and it must be repurified regularly because
He3 poisons the reaction. So the US nuclear arsenal, in particular,
generates a steady trickle of He3 as a byproduct of bomb maintenance.

and try some fusion experiments, rather than
go to the moon to get it - what's the reason it hasn't been done?

We don't have a fusion reactor that works even for the D-T reaction, never
mind for one involving He3. The basic physics of the He3 reactions have
been understood for a long time; it's the engineering details of the
fusion reactor that might, or might not, be able to overcome the problems.
We can't run meaningful experiments on that until we can build one.