The Other Side of Moon

Old February 1st 06, 03:30 PM posted to sci.astro

Default The Other Side of Moon

I would like to ask two questions;

1. Can't we see a small portion of the other side of the moon even
after hundreds, thousands years ? I.e. How perfect is that
match ?

2. Is such phenomena unique in the solar system ? How about other moons
of other planets ? Or other planets with respect to the sun ?

Any pointer or suggestions are quite welcome.

Old February 1st 06, 03:41 PM posted to sci.astro

"saebock" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to ask two questions;

1. Can't we see a small portion of the other side of the moon even
after hundreds, thousands years ? I.e. How perfect is that
match ?

Google: Libration

The Moon is tidally locked to the Earth, so essentially
it is being held dynamically from rotating; it's not
just a coincidence.

2. Is such phenomena unique in the solar system ? How about other moons
of other planets ? Or other planets with respect to the sun ?

It's very common amongst the moons of the solar system.

Any pointer or suggestions are quite welcome.

Google: tidally locked moons

Old February 1st 06, 05:06 PM posted to sci.astro

"saebock" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to ask two questions;

1. Can't we see a small portion of the other side of the moon even
after hundreds, thousands years ? I.e. How perfect is that
match ?

2. Is such phenomena unique in the solar system ? How about other moons
of other planets ? Or other planets with respect to the sun ?

Any pointer or suggestions are quite welcome.

Google: spin orbit resonance

Old February 1st 06, 06:36 PM posted to sci.astro

It rotates. Once per lunar month. 59% of the Moon is visible from
Earth. It's called libration.

Saul Levy

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:41:16 -0500, "Greg Neill"
wrote:

oups.com...

Old February 2nd 06, 12:15 AM posted to sci.astro

Dear saebock:

"saebock" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to ask two questions;

1. Can't we see a small portion of the other side
of the moon even after hundreds, thousands years ?
I.e. How perfect is that match ?

Several nations have sent satellites around the Moon (to say
nothing of the several Apollo missions that at least circled the
Moon), and sent back photographs of the far side. It is in
general more "pitted" (in my opinion) than the Earth-facing side,
perhaps due to the shielding effects of the Earth.

Lots more hits on Google with:
image OR picture "far side of the Moon"

David A. Smith