Nikon 10x42 and Zeiss B/GA Classic C 8x30. Some thoughts on using for Astronomy.

Old October 22nd 03, 08:26 PM
David McHarg

Default Nikon 10x42 and Zeiss B/GA Classic C 8x30. Some thoughts on using for Astronomy.

About 1 year ago i decided based on my experience with my
little TV85 refactor that it was time to purchase a high
quality set of binocs for astronomy. There are so many
different products available and such a vast range in
prices that it really isn't easy to make a choice these
days.

I previously owned an old pair of 10x50's and the optical
quality left something to be considered when compared to
the views in the little TV85 with a 35 Panoptic eyepiece.

After much hunting and trying various options i opted for
the Nikon 10x42 Superior E. Having used these binocs for
a good while i thought others may be interested in my experiences.
All i can say is wow. These are truely stunning binocs.
The transparency and the clarity of the image is simply
stunning. On some objects i detect a little color. I was somewhat
worried about whether a 40mm binocular was the right thing
for astro use. I took these binocs with me down under and
i had a blast panning the southern skies. I had a hard time
choosing between the Nikon binocs or my TV85 with a 35Panoptic.
The comfort with which these binocs fit into your hand really
is quite remarkable. They blend away almost to the point of
you not feeling as though they are in your hands. They are nice
and light weight and a joy to use. The little bevel edge at the
front of these binocs really make them fit into your hands.
I like the general feel of these binoculars very much.

On a more recent trip to Scotland i had the chance to compare
the Nikon's to a pair of Zeiss B/GA Classic C 8x30. The little
Zeiss are so nice. The build quality i think is a little better
than the Nikon but these are both very fine binocs. Under dark
skies i really was quite amazed by the different feel of both
of these binocs. In terms of ease of hand holding the little
Zeiss have the edge i think and i prefer for day time use as they
are a little more compact. The Nikons with that little more power
and aperture just pull more things out but the little zeiss
are much easier to hold steady. The Nikons fair a little better
as far as edge performance goes. I also like the way you adjust
difference in focus for the left and right eye with the zeiss.
The eyecups on the little zeiss i find are just perfect for me
as i do not wear glasses. On the the Nikons i tend to prefer to
fold them down and i find it really does make them feel very
different.

I lay on a bench in my parents back garden with both pair of
binocs and just panned the skies. Skies Mag 5.5+. On this
night i could pick out M33 with both without a shadow of a
doubt and without averted vision. I picked out some 30 messier
objects with both binocs without any major problem....apart
from my being a tad cold. There is a marked difference but in
the view between the 8x30's and the 10x42 and more than i expected.
Switching between them makes this completely obvious. The
nikons certainly pull out that little bit more but then i wasn't
doing any kind of scientific test to determine which was better.
Even with only a difference of 2x in magnication i find it makes
a massive difference so i can only imagine that 16x70 binocs
must be stunning. I found many colorful doubles such as alberio
etc that showed very nicely in both binocs.

Panning thru Cygnus and the summer milkyway with either of these
binoc really is a joy. My usual location is New York and so you
can imagine light pollution is fairly serious. There is hardly
any point in using binocs in NY and that why i find it amazing when
you get to really dark skies how you could almost spend a full
night observing with binocs alone.

The soft case for the Nikons i think is pretty nice and the lens
covers fit nice a snuggly. On the Zeiss i think this is somewhat
lacking with the rainguard or whereever that comes with it being
made of some cheap leather. The strap for the Zeiss i think also
leaves something to be desired.

My impression going into choosing binos based on previous experience
was 10x50 was the way to go. Based on my experience i would say
that both of these binocs are great for astro use and day use
and its turned me into binoc fan for astro use and day time use.
Sure larger aperture will show you more and more magnification will
bring more things out but i think thats at the expense of portability
and also usability without a tripod.

In short these are both stunning binocs and think they are great
for astro use. If your thinking about a pair of binocs i recommend
both and i doubt you will feel that you are not getting your moneys
worth in either.

Which is better ? I don't really think its worth saying this is better than
that. These are both very fine binocs and a joy to use. In terms of
ease of holding and compactness the zeiss win. For astro use i think
the Nikons win. For daytime use i think the zeiss win.

I am certainly a big fan of astro kit that is portable and lends itself
to ease of use hence the TV85. For binocs its the same. If i needed a mount
then i would setup a scope. I have tried the Canon IS although not
under dark skies and i am sure these rock but in my hands they are quite
simply too big and hence i opted smaller binocs.

Clear skies.

Cheers
David.
Old October 22nd 03, 09:53 PM
Michael A. Covington

I agree, 40mm binoculars are big enough for astronomy. I used to use Ultima
8x40s all the time, until I dropped them and ended up with a lot of
disconnected parts (including, thank goodness, one excellent eyepiece which
I mounted for use on my telescope).

For a replacement I chose the Pentax 8x42 roof-prism ones (the $300 one, not
the super-rugged $600 one) after trying all the binoculars in a local store
(starting with Zeiss). Excellent binoculars! Admittedly I have a trained
eye, but I can see M33 and the Helix Nebula under our magnitude 5 skies.

You should always try out binoculars for yourself. Different people have
different eyes.

--
Clear skies,

Michael Covington -- www.covingtoninnovations.com
and (new) How to Use a Computerized Telescope

Old October 23rd 03, 02:50 PM
mark d. doiron

"David McHarg" wrote in message
om...

After much hunting and trying various options i opted for
the Nikon 10x42 Superior E.

David--

thanks for the discussion of your experience with these binoc's. couple
years ago i was looking for a smaller pair of binoc's to carry
hiking/backpacking. i opted for the nikon 8x32 superior e ii's. i have
found that, for supplemental use with a scope, i often prefer these to a
pair of Fuji 7x50s (which are awesome binoc's in their own right, just quite
large). the nikons are much easier to handhold and, in my moderately light
polluted yard (street and neighbor's lights) i've found that i can't pick
out any dimmer objects in the larger binoc's (such is not the case when i
venture out to a dark sky location, where the larger binoc's do show dimmer
objects). i also prefer the 7-8x range for supplemental use with a scope
because the larger field (compared to 10+ mag's) permits me to do what i'm
trying to do with them: orient myself to the night sky. so, contary to
conventional wisdom, i find myself more often taking out the smaller binoc's
than the larger binoc's for astronomy work.

clear, dark skies--

mark d.

Old October 23rd 03, 03:19 PM
Axel

After much hunting and trying various options i opted for the Nikon 10x42
Superior E. Having used these binocs for a good while i thought others may
be interested in my experiences. All i can say is wow. These are truely
stunning binocs.

I have this one too and it's simply an amazing little bino.
Lightweight, bright views, and sharp as tacks. I remember splitting
Albireo once with it, handheld, leaning against a railing!

Ritesh
Old October 23rd 03, 03:19 PM
Florian

The Nikon 10x42 SE are my standard nighttime binoculars. They're great. =
I have relatively small night adapted pupils so the 10x42 bino suits me =
very well. Wonderful binoculars.

-Florian

Old October 23rd 03, 05:32 PM
Jon Isaacs

I remember splitting
Albireo once with it, handheld, leaning against a railing!

I find that I can split Albireo with an Sovietski 8x50 finder mounted on my DOB
and I believe I have split it with my 6x30 as well.....Of course no need to
lean it against a tree....

Jon