Is there currently a comet in Triangulum?

Old October 20th 03, 04:00 AM
Stephen Paul

Default Is there currently a comet in Triangulum?

While observing M33 tonight I saw a fuzzy ball very close to a star that's
to the right and up a very little bit, as seen in the eyepiece of a Dob,
about 1 degree from the core of M33.

I did a quick search and I can't find anything about an object in that area.

-Stephen

Old October 20th 03, 05:00 AM
Stephen Paul

"Stephen Paul" wrote in message
While observing M33 tonight I saw a fuzzy ball very close to a star that's
to the right and up a very little bit, as seen in the eyepiece of a Dob,
about 1 degree from the core of M33.

Correction, that's up and to the left one half degree.

Old October 20th 03, 05:02 AM
Stephen Paul

"Stephen Paul" wrote in message

Correction, that's up and to the left one half degree.

Shoot, that's up and to the left one half degree as seen in a correct image.
From what I can tell from charts, this object is within the halo of M33.

-Stephen

Old October 20th 03, 05:13 AM
Ed

Shoot, that's up and to the left one half degree as seen in a correct image.
From what I can tell from charts, this object is within the halo of M33.

Sounds like NGC 604, a large bright emission nebula
in one of the spiral arms of M33.

Old October 20th 03, 06:17 AM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

While observing M33 tonight I saw a fuzzy ball very close to a star that's
to the right and up a very little bit, as seen in the eyepiece of a Dob,
about 1 degree from the core of M33.

I did a quick search and I can't find anything about an object in that area.

Correction, that's up and to the left one half degree.

It is probably the emission nebula inside M33 known as NGC 604. It sits about
11.6 arc minutes northeast of the center of M33, and is visible in even a good
4 inch as a small faint slightly oval patch elongated north-south. Its about
1.5 arc minutes across, so it is fairly noticable. In a large scope, it even
shows some hints of structure. If you want a *really* close-up look at it,
the Hubble Space telescope got a very nice image of it which is probably on
their web site. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old October 20th 03, 09:55 AM
Michael A. Covington

Sounds like the nebula NGC 604, which is a large nebula within M33 and looks
a bit like the Crab Nebula as seen from here. Though small, it has a
considerably higher surface brightness than M33 itself and is right next to
a star of comparable brightness.

Old October 20th 03, 04:50 PM
Stephen Paul

"Michael A. Covington" wrote
in message ...

NGC 604 .... nebula...

...snip..
right next to a star of comparable brightness.

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed to hear. What I see is one well
defined star, and one fuzzy immediately next to it.

Guess it's time to take a break from learning about optics and mounts, and
start learning what's actually up there, and how to determine exact
locations in the eyepiece. ;-) (Not that the former is anywhere near wasted
time.)

-Stephen

Old October 20th 03, 06:18 PM
Bill Meyers

Hello, David,
Another very well-informed post from you, This is as good a time as any to
say that thanks are due to you and Chris L. Peterson and Michael Covington and
some others who are able to give authoritative answers to inquiries on SAA, as
opposed to merely sharing experiences (valuable as the latter may be). This raises
the quality of this forum. It is a real service to amateur astronomy.
Clear skies,
Bill Meyers

Hi there. You posted:

Old October 20th 03, 06:36 PM
Stephen Paul

"Bill Meyers" wrote in message
This is as good a time as any to say that thanks are due to you [David

Knisely]
and Chris L. Peterson and Michael Covington and
some others who are able to give authoritative answers to inquiries on

SAA.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know where else I would have turned. The time
it would have taken to get reasonably correct information would have been
discouraging through other channels.

One of SAA's most endearing qualities is it's value as a virtual star-party.

--
-Stephen Paul

Old October 21st 03, 12:22 AM
Mike Wagenbach

David Knisely wrote in message ...

shows some hints of structure. If you want a *really* close-up look at it,
the Hubble Space telescope got a very nice image of it which is probably on
their web site.

The search function at Hubble Heritage didn't work out for me. SEDS
came through nicely:
http://www.seds.org/messier/more/m033_n604.html