Ernesto threatens shuttle

Old August 27th 06, 11:04 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
John Doe

Default Ernesto threatens shuttle

TimK wrote:
Yep, being serious - if it's not launched by Tuesday night and this storm
stays on its forecast track I have to think they'll be taking a serious look
at a rollback. Let's keep 'em crossed that we launch on Tuesday...

Does NASA have fixed metrics on how much wind/rain a shuttle can
widthstand at the launch pad ? I know that it has, in the past published
specs on what its buildings can survive.

If Ernesto ends up being only a Car I or tropica storm by the time it
reaches KSC, does the Shuttle really have to be moved back to the VAB ?

Someone mentioned retracting the RSS. If NASA decides to leave the
shuttle at the pad, woudln't the RSS remain over it to protect it ?
Old August 27th 06, 11:39 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
TimK

"John Doe" wrote in message ...
TimK wrote:
Yep, being serious - if it's not launched by Tuesday night and this
storm
stays on its forecast track I have to think they'll be taking a serious
look
at a rollback. Let's keep 'em crossed that we launch on Tuesday...

If Ernesto ends up being only a Car I or tropica storm by the time it
reaches KSC, does the Shuttle really have to be moved back to the VAB ?

The trouble is the lead time required to get it back. Last I heard (and
this has been released

Someone mentioned retracting the RSS. If NASA decides to leave the
shuttle at the pad, woudln't the RSS remain over it to protect it ?

Yes it would, that was just me yanking Haller's chain.

Old August 28th 06, 02:08 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

TimK wrote:
If Ernesto ends up being only a Car I or tropica storm by the time it
reaches KSC, does the Shuttle really have to be moved back to the VAB ?

The trouble is the lead time required to get it back. Last I heard (and
this has been released

Excuse me for interrupting but I have a question not answered in the
briefing at 8-9EST 8/27/06.

If the decision is made *not* to go to rollback prep and to instead go
for launch on Tuesday, a see a possible problem.

I recall a lauch once being scrubbed *after* main engine ignition but
obviously before SRB ignition. If that were to happen on Tuesday (or
something similar that happens late in the countdown that prevents
launch), doesn't that mean the system gets stuck at the pad during the
arrival of Ernesto because of insufficient time to detank, prep for
rollback and rollback?

Lee Jay

Old August 28th 06, 02:51 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

Default Hello TimK -- Ernesto threatens shuttle

Ahh schedule pressure will cause all sorts of sad side effects

Contiuning to try to launch is going to cost us another crew......

Old August 28th 06, 03:00 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

Brian Thorn wrote:
I recall a lauch once being scrubbed *after* main engine ignition but
obviously before SRB ignition.

The last was in 1993. Improved engines since then make it unlikely
nowadays. Most last minute delays in the last decade have been for...
wait for it... the weather.

I realize that but, you know, stuff happens.

If that were to happen on Tuesday (or
something similar that happens late in the countdown that prevents
launch), doesn't that mean the system gets stuck at the pad during the
arrival of Ernesto because of insufficient time to detank, prep for
rollback and rollback?

I don't think they'd have time to roll back, last-second launch abort
or not, after Tuesday. They either go for launch Tuesday, or roll back
Tuesday. Weather will be too bad for either on Wednesday (and I have
my doubts about Tuesday's weather, too.)

As do I. I predict they'll start rollback prep tomorrow. That
lightning strike killed this window. When does the next one open?

Lee Jay

Old August 28th 06, 12:31 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

The last was in 1993. Improved engines since then make it unlikely
nowadays. Most last minute delays in the last decade have been for...
wait for it... the weather.

Actually the last was in 1994 - August 18th, 1994 - STS-68 aborted at
T-1 second :-)