rotation of planets

Old June 2nd 08, 08:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ravi

Default rotation of planets

Hi,
I was wondering why there is so little information about rotation of
planets. One of my friends asked me this interesting question.

Where did the rotational motion for the planets originate from?
As far as I can think, it could be the sum of angular momentum
gathered by the constituents during their formation

I would be happy to see some references to the subject.

Another corollary is, why all the planets are round? Do irregular
objects with uneven torques on the surface area due to rotation will
eventually become round are some of the things that came to my mind.

Also, is there anything like gyroscopic stability that is necessary to
keep them in orbit.
Old June 2nd 08, 08:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article ,
Ravi wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering why there is so little information about rotation of
planets. One of my friends asked me this interesting question.

Where did the rotational motion for the planets originate from?
As far as I can think, it could be the sum of angular momentum
gathered by the constituents during their formation

Precisely! And the chance of the sum of the angular momentum being
exactly zero is quite small. Therefore almost every celestial body has
a rotation.

I would be happy to see some references to the subject.

Another corollary is, why all the planets are round?

Because of gravity. However the celestial body must be large enough
for this to have an effect. Therefore, small asteroids are frequently
irregular in shape.

Do irregular objects with uneven torques on the surface area due to
rotation will eventually become round are some of the things that came
to my mind.

Suppose the Earth had a mountain some 1000 times taller than Mount Everest.
What would happen to it? It would collapse under its own weight!

A spherical shape is the equilibrium shape for a large body subjected
to its own gravity. If the body rotates, the equilibrium shape changes
to a spheroid instead - a spheroid is an ellipsoid with two of its
three principial axes equally large.

Also, is there anything like gyroscopic stability that is necessary to
keep them in orbit.

Nope! Gravity combined with inertia is enough.

e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

Galactic rotation DX Research 2 March 30th 08 09:57 AM
defining planets; Pluto a planet and UB313; How the Atom Totality theory defines planets a_plutonium Astronomy Misc 1 August 17th 06 11:29 AM
Rotation formula Kilolani Amateur Astronomy 9 March 15th 04 09:05 PM
Gas Planets Evolve to be Rock planets??? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 114 October 16th 03 12:51 PM
Counter clockwise rotation of planets? Bill Duncan Misc 34 October 6th 03 12:06 AM