The Excellence of the Shuttle System

Old January 25th 04, 05:18 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default The Excellence of the Shuttle System

"Gordon D. Pusch" wrote in message

BTW, when was the last time you saw either an ejection system
or an escape capsule on _any_ type of cargo aircraft ???

To be fair, I think C-130s have some sort of escape system. :-)

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'

Old January 28th 04, 01:29 AM
Joann Evans

Zoltan Szakaly wrote:

(Ken S. Tucker) wrote in message . com...
The excellence of the shuttle system.

The orbiter part of the shuttle is a great machine
and has never failed (big time). The two catastophes
are from the SRB and the HO tank, and these appear

Regards
Ken S. Tucker

The shuttle is an excellent and reliable system. Two failures of about
100 flights is pretty good reliability. There are two problems with
the shuttle.

Don't you ever consider designing commercial/military aircraft,
please!

And the argument that 'it's a spaceship' doesn't change mine.

1. The lack of plan B in case of failure. During launch there should
be an apollo style LET system to remove the cabin from the fireball.

So you now need to redesign the cabin to come away by design...how
much does this weigh? Are parachutes pratical? And you also must now be
able to survive coming down on land or water...

During reentry there should be ejection seats as a safety backup.

Unless you have re-entry worthy enclosures similar to the bailout
system of the B-70, what does ejection get you during re-entry? You just
toast seperately from the ship.

These are not hard to implement.

That's very easy to say...

2. The utter stupidity of shuttling a heavy vehicle up and down when
the cost of launch is so high.

It's not the weight of the vehicle that causes that. What does a
fully fueled 747 weigh?

The only thing the shuttle is good for
is bringing something back from orbit. This is not something we need.

We should use the existing shuttles to continue launching payloads
while we develop a vehicle like Buran where we could replace the
orbiter with some other payload.

The idea's not new, we call it Shuttle-C. Some like it, some don't.
and it isn't necessairily cheap, either.

After all we do have a heavy launch
vehicle. The shuttle system without the shuttle.

Zoltan

--

You know what to remove, to reply....

Old January 28th 04, 01:29 AM
Joann Evans

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote:

"Gordon D. Pusch" wrote in message

BTW, when was the last time you saw either an ejection system
or an escape capsule on _any_ type of cargo aircraft ???

To be fair, I think C-130s have some sort of escape system. :-)

But military C-130 crews also have to consider that someone may be
out to actively shoot them down one day.

Even with recent events, except for possibly adding some
countermeasures for shoulder-fired terrorist weapons, this isn't a
normal concern for most cargo aircraft...or even the shuttle.

--

You know what to remove, to reply....
Old January 29th 04, 05:33 AM
James Graves

Joann Evans wrote:

During reentry there should be ejection seats as a safety backup.

Unless you have re-entry worthy enclosures similar to the bailout
system of the B-70, what does ejection get you during re-entry? You just
toast seperately from the ship.

That's pretty much the problem. You're way up high, going way too fast,
for any effective bailout system.

You'd have to design a completely separate re-entry system.

In case you haven't seen it yet, Newsday had a gripping account of the
final few minutes of Columbia:

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/n...0,442476.story

[... deleted ...]

The idea's not new, we call it Shuttle-C. Some like it, some don't.
and it isn't necessairily cheap, either.

After all we do have a heavy launch
vehicle. The shuttle system without the shuttle.

There are many routes to cheaper and safer access to LEO. None of those
paths, however, start with the Shuttle program.

James Graves
Old January 29th 04, 10:55 PM
Sander Vesik

Joann Evans wrote:

But military C-130 crews also have to consider that someone may be
out to actively shoot them down one day.

space debris does that for space vehicles - esp ones with wings.

Even with recent events, except for possibly adding some
countermeasures for shoulder-fired terrorist weapons, this isn't a

The weapons are not in any particular way exclusive or specific to
terrorists so its dishonest to call them "shoulder-fired terrorist
weapons". How do you classify stringers, btw? They have used by
terrorists to down far more aircarft than the ones in use in Iraq.

normal concern for most cargo aircraft...or even the shuttle.

It appears to be a concern for normal passenger aircraft occasionaly.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++