Moon & Pleiades

Old April 11th 05, 10:44 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default Moon & Pleiades

A beautiful sight in a clear twilight sky...

Some pictures of the Moon passing below the Pleiades on the 11th April
2005.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/temp/M45%2Bmoon.html

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Old April 12th 05, 01:37 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:31:29 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

The stars are bloody backwards!

Nope, you've lost me!
Old April 12th 05, 02:19 AM
Jeff R

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:31:29 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

The stars are bloody backwards!

Nope, you've lost me!
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Global Projects - http://www.globalobservers.net

No no!
He's right!

The moon should be *above* Subaru, the whole thing is upside-down, and the
earth was in the way when this shot was taken, anyways!

Nice shot, though.
1/4 sec, f/8, 400ASA?

--
Jeff R.
(Antipodes-centred)

Old April 12th 05, 07:44 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:19:41 +1000, "Jeff R"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:31:29 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

The stars are bloody backwards!

Nope, you've lost me!
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Global Projects - http://www.globalobservers.net

No no!
He's right!

The moon should be *above* Subaru, the whole thing is upside-down, and the
earth was in the way when this shot was taken, anyways!

Nice shot, though.
1/4 sec, f/8, 400ASA?

Ahhh - upside down I can understand ;-) Backwards, can only happen in
a mirrored Universe.

Top image: 30s f/8.0, ISO 800, 200mm lens on a Canon 10D.

Old April 12th 05, 10:27 PM
Larry Stedman

Nice pictures. I was out yesterday observing the same scene, too,
though with an Astroscan.

I happened to set up where the Moon was visible between the branches of
an evergreen and the Pleiades partly obscured. I snapped a few digicam
pics, but couldn't achieve a picture to match the view through the scope!

The maria on the dark side of the Moon were distinctly visible, like
figures in the shadows; the string of craters with central peaks on the
illuminated side were crisply bright and shiny. The Pleiades were
sparkling in the distant background; the black silhouette of the needles
eerily framed the scene.

I was struck by just how amazing the human eye is... we can capture
variations in coloring, brightness, and even depth at a single glance.

Larry Stedman
Vestal
Old April 13th 05, 09:27 AM
Rob Johnson

"Jeff R" wrote:
"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:31:29 GMT, "Mark F." wrote:

The stars are bloody backwards!

Nope, you've lost me!
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Global Projects - http://www.globalobservers.net

No no!
He's right!

The moon should be *above* Subaru, the whole thing is upside-down, and the
earth was in the way when this shot was taken, anyways!

Nice shot, though.
1/4 sec, f/8, 400ASA?

If I set Voyager III for Selsey, UK (0d46mW 50d44mN) at 8:00 PM Standard
Time on 11 Apr 2005, I get a view matching the picture almost exactly.
The EXIF data from the image gives 29 sec, f/8, ISO 800, 200mm.

Since the EXIF data specifies 8:00 PM, either Selsey doesn't observe
Daylight Savings or Pete did not set his camera to Daylight Savings.

Rob Johnson
take out the trash before replying

Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat Astronomy Misc 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat UK Astronomy 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM
The Apollo Moon Hoax FAQ v4.1 November 2003 Nathan Jones Misc 20 November 11th 03 07:33 PM