What's slowing down the two Voyagers?

Old June 24th 04, 11:41 AM
William A. Noyes

It was greater than expected deceleration.
Perhaps it is Nemesis at 90 degrees but that would throw
a curve in the trajectory.....so perhaps not.

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message
Abdul Ahad wrote:
I was casually checking the weekly mission data archived he-
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/...orts/index.htm

when I noted the velocities of both probes (relative to the Sun) were
edging lower by small amounts over the past 8 years:

Jan 1996 Voyager 1: 17.4 km/s, Voyager 2: 16.1 km/s
Jan 1999 Voayger 1: 17.3 km/s, Voayger 2: 15.9 km/s
Jan 2002 Voyager 1: 17.2 km/s, Voyager 2: 15.7 km/s
Jan 2004 Voayger 1: 17.2 km/s, Voyager 2: 15.7 km/s

Any ideas as to what's causing this slow down anyone?

The sun's gravity, of course.

Paul

Old June 24th 04, 12:50 PM
Paul F. Dietz

William A. Noyes wrote:

It was greater than expected deceleration.
Perhaps it is Nemesis at 90 degrees but that would throw
a curve in the trajectory.....so perhaps not.

The figures to the accuracy given are not greater than the expected
deceleration from gravity. There has been a very small extra
deceleration noted, as discussed elsewhere in this thread. That
is probably due to some mundane effect like radiation pressure.

Paul
Old June 24th 04, 04:43 PM
Abdul Ahad

(Starry-Nite) wrote in message . com...
(Abdul Ahad) wrote in message . com...
I was casually checking the weekly mission data archived he-
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/...orts/index.htm

when I noted the velocities of both probes (relative to the Sun) were
edging lower by small amounts over the past 8 years:

Jan 1996 Voyager 1: 17.4 km/s, Voyager 2: 16.1 km/s
Jan 1999 Voayger 1: 17.3 km/s, Voayger 2: 15.9 km/s
Jan 2002 Voyager 1: 17.2 km/s, Voyager 2: 15.7 km/s
Jan 2004 Voayger 1: 17.2 km/s, Voyager 2: 15.7 km/s

Over thousands of years Voyagers' path will be a line of very gradual
curves, as they are gently pulled by first one star, then another.
They will orbit the center of the Milky Way Galaxy in a path similar
to the Sun.

The Oort Cloud is not a nebula-like cloud of gas, but rather the bunch
of comets that orbit the sun in a cloud-like pattern. The Oort Cloud
will not have an effect on Voyagers speed unless we have an impact
with one of the comets - a VERY unlikely event!

While the solar wind has a positive effect (adds to momentum), it is
so diffuse at that distance that its impact is essentially not
measurable.

The Voyagers are not traveling fast enough for relativity to of
consequence.

These two Voyagers are probably more closely watched than the nearby
explorers like Cassini, mars rovers, etc. They carry the hopes and
dreams of all the peoples of this planet: firstworld, third world,
black, white, religious, aitheists, rich, poor, arrogant, peaceful and
the like...
Humanity's first 'message in a bottle' is well on its way to some
exotic world waiting with open arms on the opposite shores of a
boundless cosmic ocean! pure hallucination...

I was hoping they would keep the remote sensing cameras turned on with
some miraculuous ability built into them to take long exposure
photographs. Sure the fields and particles data about the termination
shock and heliopause is invaluable scientific data but just imagine
the kind of deep sky observations that could have been made from this
distance with cameras!

No more solar glares, no full moons, no Zodiacal light, no bright
planets...just the eternal glow of the Milky Way all around! The
unimagined views from a thousand dream locations...

Abdul Ahad

¤ Clear skies & a star to steer by! Michael ¤

************************************************* ******
Michael Foerster ¤ Pres/Research Lead, Skywatch-GL
¤Solar System Ambassador, NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab
¤Night Sky Net Coordinator, The Starry-Nite Society
¤E-Address:
¤N42°31'13.3" ¤ W83°08'43.2" ¤ 668' ¤ -5 GMT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
FAMOUS LAST WORDS - A SERIES
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics magazine, forecasting the relentless
march of science, 1949
************************************************* ******

Old June 24th 04, 06:45 PM
Paul Schlyter

Abdul Ahad wrote:

[...]

OTOH from the current distance of the Voyagers, the Sun still shines
some 100 times brighter than the full moon does as seen from Earth....

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/
Old June 24th 04, 07:21 PM
Tim Auton

Louis Scheffer wrote:
Tim Auton tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] writes:
(Abdul Ahad) wrote:

[snip]
Search for "pioneer anomaly". It's very interesting, mainly because
nobody seems to know what's causing it.

This is just wishful thinking by the theorists, who want something new to explain.
A careful look at Pioneer shows there are a number of features that cause it
to radiate a bit more of its heat in the anti-sunward direction. This is just
right to account for the observed slowdown.

Conventional Forces can Explain the Anomalous Acceleration of Pioneer 10,
Phys.Rev. D67 (2003) 084021.
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0107092
I'm the author so my opinion may be somewhat biased, of course.

A most interesting paper. Prompted me to re-read Anderson et. al.'s
updated paper. I laughed when I read this bit "It was arbitrarily
argued that there was an incorrect determination of the reflection/
absorption coefficients by a large factor." They're talking about you,
dude! Your argument about multi-layered insulation seems sensible
enough to me though.

For other who may be interested, here's Anderson et. al.'s. paper
which argues against some of the points Louis makes in his paper (this
version pre-dates the latest version of Louis's paper, I don't know if
has been updated):

Search for a Standard Explanation of the Pioneer Anomaly
Mod.Phys.Lett. A17 (2002) 875-886

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0107022

I have a feeling I'll have to read the 200 or so references and do
some calculations of my own before I can form a valid opinion on this.
Either that or stick an exact replica of Voyager in a vacuum chamber
and do some precise measurements.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Old June 24th 04, 07:28 PM
Tim Auton

"Mike Hawk" wrote:

IIRC that article didn't dispute that Voyagers and Pioneers weren't
slowing down due to gravity, but that their rate of deceleration was
greater than expected.
Here's part of the article http://tinyurl.com/2jpnz

WELL? DUHHH???...something else is at work on these poor little
intersteller MOFO's from Earth

I'm a real scientist (I've got letters after my name).

Actually, there are several forces at work on them apart from gravity.
Gravity is the dominant effect though. The question is how large these
forces are and whether they account for the unmodelled acceleration in
Anderson et. al.'s original paper. In other words, the question is
whether there is new physics out there or whether Anderson et. al.'s
modeling of the forces leaves something to be desired. The latter is
more likely, but nobody seems to have come up with a model that
satisfies everyone and precisely matches the data yet.

There are plenty of references in another branch of this thread if
you're into reading scientific papers. In my experience though, people
who start rebuttals with "WELL? DUHHH???" and list their references
as "I seem to recall" aren't all that interested in acquainting
themselves with the facts.

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Old June 24th 04, 07:40 PM
Brian Tung

Tim Auton wrote:
I'm a real scientist (I've got letters after my name).

Whoo.

There are plenty of references in another branch of this thread if
you're into reading scientific papers. In my experience though, people
who start rebuttals with "WELL? DUHHH???" and list their references
as "I seem to recall" aren't all that interested in acquainting
themselves with the facts.

Yeah, well, welcome to Mick's World. He's vying with Mini-Min for most
aliases.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old June 24th 04, 09:18 PM
Insane Ranter

"Paul Schlyter" wrote in message
Abdul Ahad wrote:

[...]

But what a sight it would be

Old June 24th 04, 10:38 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Louis Scheffer
writes
Louis Scheffer writes:

Jonathan Silverlight writes:

In message , Louis Scheffer
writes

Note that when they put Cassini into a gyro-only mode for the gravity wave
searches, it experienced an anomalous acceleration about 3x that of Pioneer,
due to non-isotropic waste heat radiation. This effect is difficult to
model, and the pre-launch estimates were off by 50%. But the theorists
then do a song and dance about how this can't apply to Pioneer, all
engineering data to the contrary.

Interesting! Do you have a reference for that? (I could search, of
course)
My reading of the solar conjunction relativity experiment was that they
_didn't_ find an anomaly, because they had modelled the heat output
correctly.

I'm working from memory here, but my recollection is that they knew there
was non-isotropic heat rejection, so they added a constant force for this
and fit it using trajectory data. They got a good fit, but the value
of the radiation forces was different than their pre-launch estimates.

Found it! It's
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0308010

Note that the paper has been withdrawn, but thanks to the magic of arXiv
the original version 1 is still available.

I've got that one, and the Bertotti et al. paper that appeared in Nature
(and doesn't mention the Pioneer effect at all. I've argued on various
newsgroups that if there really was uncertainty in the thermal model
they wouldn't have such nice low residuals)
I know experiments were done at opposition to look for gravity waves,
but have the results been published yet? And has the reason for
withdrawing the Anderson et al. paper been made public?
Old June 25th 04, 03:38 AM
Lou Scheffer

Jonathan Silverlight wrote in message ...
In message , Louis Scheffer
writes
Louis Scheffer writes:

Jonathan Silverlight writes:

In message , Louis Scheffer
writes

Note that when they put Cassini into a gyro-only mode for the gravity wave
searches, it experienced an anomalous acceleration about 3x that of Pioneer,
due to non-isotropic waste heat radiation.

[...] (and doesn't mention the Pioneer effect at all. I've argued on various
newsgroups that if there really was uncertainty in the thermal model
they wouldn't have such nice low residuals)

The uncertainty is in the amount of the effect. Whatever amount this
is, though, it should be constant. So once you fit the value, the
residuals will be very small, as small as if the effect did not exist.

Why should it be constant? Because the amount of radiated heat from
the RTGs is constant, and because the spacecraft must keep its antenna
pointed at Earth. Forces in other directions are averaged out by spin
(for Pioneer) and by symmetry (for Cassini). In theory this should be
resolvable as a force directed at the Earth (not the Sun) but this
can't be deternined for Pioneer, since it's so far away, and for
Cassini, since the experiment was done at opposition.

Lou Scheffer