What makes The Earth "spin"

Old September 16th 03, 01:41 AM
Darrell

Right what I meant was, and let me clarify, that the Earth is orbiting but
not spinning simmular to the Earth spinning. Sure the Moon is spinning and
it make one complete rotation with one complete orbit around the Earth.
Like you said, at present, it is tidally locked to the rotation of the
Earth. Locked being key, meaning that we can see only one face of the moon.
It is not spinning in a way that we on Earth get to see it spin. It's a
concept that I think some fail to grasp.

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in message

"Darrell" wrote in message
What do you mean the "other's" spin. The moon is rotating, but isn't
spinning.

Both the Earth and the Moon are spinning. The Moon is (at present),

tidally
locked to the rotation of the Earth, so it spins 'in time' to the Earth,

but
it still spins. The same effect is working the other way, to a much lesser
extent, and would eventually slow the Earth's rotation down, but not till
long after the Solar system has died...
Your comment is a bit like saying 'the top is rotating, but not spinning'.
Rotation around an axis, _is_ a spin.

Best Wishes

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in message

"Guy you lovetoHate The" wrote in message

The Moon.
No.
The simple answer is, to remember that without friction, an object

will
spin
forever unless there is something to influence it. The junk that came
together to form the Solar system was all moving, and the spins this
imparted onto the objects as they formed, has been retained, _except_

where
something else influenced them. The collision that led to the

formation
of
the Moon, will have changed the spin on the objects concerned, but the
objects were spinning before this. Afterwards, the gravitational pull
between the Earth and the Moon, have both influenced the other's spin,

but
didn't 'cause' it.
In a sense, not spinning, would be the unusual case.

Best Wishes

Old September 16th 03, 01:45 AM
Darrell

Check out: http://www.msnbc.com/news/384600.asp See paragraph, "Orgin of
Spins"
"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
This post fits in nicely because I'm thinking a lot about spin. I know
Jupiter makes a complete turn in just under 10 hours.,and Venus takes
243 days to make a complete turn(spin). What are the best theories to
account for such a fast and slow spin? Maybe if Venus spun faster it
could cool down a little better at its equator?? I think I can use
Photolysis here as I did on Mars With all that heat within Venus"s
atmosphere that all the surface water evaporated high in the upper
atmosphere,and this water vapor got hit by the ultraviolet radiation
from the Sun and split the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen.
The hydrogen bleed off into space,and the oxygen combined with carbon to
form carbon monoxide,and carbon dioxide. It must have volcanoes so
sulfur dioxide,and iron oxide chemicals should make up a good
percentage of its surface,that must be sandy Bert.

Old September 16th 03, 05:03 AM
Steve Grant

"Guy you lovetoHate The" wrote in message

The Moon.

Highly specialized medical school graduates, known as Spin Doctors.

Old September 16th 03, 05:03 AM
Steve Grant

Old September 16th 03, 02:22 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

It might be an interesting thinking of large objects like comets,and
meteors hitting the Earth at great speeds have effected the Earth's
spin,,tilt and wobble. We have to keep in mind the Earth like all
objects immersed in space has no weight. However it does have very great
inertia. With this great inertia,and no weight this shows to people
that don't understand inertia how to visualize it. Bert

Old September 17th 03, 05:44 PM
Darrell

Correction:
....the "MOON" is orbiting but not spinning simmular to the Earth....

"Darrell" wrote in message
What do you mean the "other's" spin. The moon is rotating, but isn't
spinning.

Both the Earth and the Moon are spinning. The Moon is (at present),

tidally
locked to the rotation of the Earth, so it spins 'in time' to the Earth,

but
it still spins. The same effect is working the other way, to a much

lesser
extent, and would eventually slow the Earth's rotation down, but not

till
long after the Solar system has died...
Your comment is a bit like saying 'the top is rotating, but not

spinning'.
Rotation around an axis, _is_ a spin.

Best Wishes

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in

message

Old September 17th 03, 07:28 PM
Greg Neill

"Darrell" wrote in message
Correction:
...the "MOON" is orbiting but not spinning simmular to the Earth....

Is your "MOON" something different than the Moon?

The Moon spins on its axis once per orbit about
the Earth. So in effect, its day is a month long.