What makes The Earth "spin"

Old September 29th 03, 05:20 PM
Jerry Abbott

It may be that the wind differentials vary, sometimes above and sometimes
below the gradient threshold needed to provoke a GRS into being. Once a GRS
exists, maybe it has in inertia that lets it persist for a little while if
the gradient falls below the threshold. We've been observing the GRS for
only a few hundred years, which is a small time compared to the age of
Jupiter. Maybe sometimes there is a GRS in the other hemisphere too, but we
haven't seen it yet.

I seem to remember that there are storm "spots" in the atmospheres of Saturn
and maybe Uranus and Neptune too. But I haven't been following the
literature closely on the subject.

Jerry Abbott

"OG" wrote in message

"Bill Sheppard" wrote in message

Bert, ya done asked before about the Great Red Spot, but didn't seem to
read the answers.g Maybe try again. I read this theory many years ago.
which goes like this (paraphrasing)-

In fluid dynamics, when a linear flow passes a critical velocity, it
must break into a vortex, as seen in a tornado, waterspout, bathtub
drain and the like. On Jupiter, the speed differentials between the
laterally-moving bands of the atmosphere have passed the critical
velocity, with the resultant formation of the Great Red Spot vortex. Its
permanence is the result of the permanence of those wind-speed?0
ifferentials. In other words, if the winds would slow down and the
peed differentials decreased sufficiently, the GRS would shrink and
anish. oc

Yup. that's why there's are two GRSs, one in the northern hemisphere and

one
in the south.

Old October 5th 03, 06:54 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

The best theory I can come up with is Jupiter was much bigger,and had a
greater mass. How it lost this great mass the best I can come up with is
it gave a great deal to the sun. Had this not happened the sun would not
have enough mass to create fusion. Bert