Term for the "warping of time"?

Old September 19th 03, 05:15 PM
Ben

Default Term for the "warping of time"?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is a single word that can summarise the
warping of time, or the expansion and contraction of time? I've
looked all over the net for this magical word, but cannot seem to find
it! If there's no such thing as a single word, is there a two- or
three-word term suitable?

Thanks!

Ben

Old September 19th 03, 07:26 PM
George Dishman

"jojo" wrote in message
y.com...
time-warp

No, no, that's the dance based on the theory. ;-)

"Ben" wrote in message
m...
Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is a single word that can summarise the
warping of time, or the expansion and contraction of time? I've
looked all over the net for this magical word, but cannot seem to find
it! If there's no such thing as a single word, is there a two- or
three-word term suitable?

"Curvature" is possibly what you are looking for and in
particular "curvature of spacetime" might get some useful
hits in the search engines.

HTH
George

Old September 19th 03, 07:28 PM
Thomas McDonald

"jojo" wrote in message
y.com...
time-warp

Let's do it again!

Old September 20th 03, 01:09 AM
[email protected] \(formerly\)

Dear Ben:

"Ben" wrote in message
m...
Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is a single word that can summarise the
warping of time, or the expansion and contraction of time? I've
looked all over the net for this magical word, but cannot seem to find
it! If there's no such thing as a single word, is there a two- or
three-word term suitable?

The two-sided coin of perspective in spacetime:
"time dilation" and "length contraction".

David A. Smith

Old September 22nd 03, 04:33 AM
Ben

OK, I like the term "time-warp", but it's not exactly what I'm looking
for

Perhaps I should have previously explained why I am looking for this
term. A friend is starting a band (possibly with me in it) which will
feature crazy time signatures and heavy syncopations. He said that he
had spent many hours searching for a name for the band, preferably one
that meant "the expansion and contraction of time", however he said
that he simply couldn't find a single word, or maybe two or three
words that could replace that sentence. He even managed to speak to
an expert in astronomy and he couldn't seem to think of anything
either.

So if anyone can come up with a suitable band name, even if it doesn't
mean exactly what we want it to mean, but people can tell what it
represents, we would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for all the comments so far, though!

Ben
Old September 22nd 03, 06:15 AM
[email protected] \(formerly\)

Dear Ben:
"Ben" wrote in message
m...
OK, I like the term "time-warp", but it's not exactly what I'm looking
for

Perhaps I should have previously explained why I am looking for this
term. A friend is starting a band (possibly with me in it) which will
feature crazy time signatures and heavy syncopations. He said that he
had spent many hours searching for a name for the band, preferably one
that meant "the expansion and contraction of time", however he said
that he simply couldn't find a single word, or maybe two or three
words that could replace that sentence. He even managed to speak to
an expert in astronomy and he couldn't seem to think of anything
either.

So if anyone can come up with a suitable band name, even if it doesn't
mean exactly what we want it to mean, but people can tell what it
represents, we would greatly appreciate it!

Distortion, fugue.

The Roget's Thesaurus might be some help.

David A. Smith

Old September 22nd 03, 04:19 PM
Asimov

"Ben" bravely wrote to "All" (21 Sep 03 20:33:58)
--- on the heady topic of " Term for the "warping of time"?"

Be From: (Ben)

Be OK, I like the term "time-warp", but it's not exactly what I'm looking
Be for

Be Perhaps I should have previously explained why I am looking for this
Be term. A friend is starting a band (possibly with me in it) which will
Be feature crazy time signatures and heavy syncopations. He said that he
Be had spent many hours searching for a name for the band, preferably one
Be that meant "the expansion and contraction of time", however he said
Be that he simply couldn't find a single word, or maybe two or three
Be words that could replace that sentence. He even managed to speak to
Be an expert in astronomy and he couldn't seem to think of anything
Be either.

Be So if anyone can come up with a suitable band name, even if it doesn't
Be mean exactly what we want it to mean, but people can tell what it
Be represents, we would greatly appreciate it!

Be Thanks for all the comments so far, though!

Be Ben

Time dilation, frame dragging, and quantum tunneling are effects which
deal with relative time. As for your band name why not look at the
Italian names for musical terms dealing with tempo or time, for example
the act of stealing time in a measure is called Rubato. Maybe an
appropriate name is Rubato Time? I'm an amateur music composer. In one
song I wrote called Slotango it uses a melody intro which uses Rubato.
It's a lot of fun to play that intro.

Asimov
******

.... The fabric of space-time continuum isn't merely curved, it's bent.