Occult or Eclipse???

Old October 6th 03, 03:42 PM

Default Occult or Eclipse???

Dear friends,

I have rashly made a substantial wager with two friends: I maintain
stoutly - Guinness in fact - that the astronomical mot precis for the
event wherein a large heavenly body passes in front of another of much
lesser apparent size is 'occult'. My erstwhile friends aver with
considerable free energy that 'eclipse' was good enough for their
grandfathers and will do them fine in the present and any future
event. A large sum of money is at stake here, to wit, the gross
national product of the United States, a sum I can ill afford should I
be proven wrong. However, we are men of our word, and must abide by
whatever judgement (sic) is afforded by this newsgroup.

Would anyone care to give their opinion on this rivetting matter?
Old October 6th 03, 03:53 PM
John Zinni

wrote in message
Dear friends,

I have rashly made a substantial wager with two friends: I maintain
stoutly - Guinness in fact - that the astronomical mot precis for the
event wherein a large heavenly body passes in front of another of much
lesser apparent size is 'occult'. My erstwhile friends aver with
considerable free energy that 'eclipse' was good enough for their
grandfathers and will do them fine in the present and any future
event. A large sum of money is at stake here, to wit, the gross
national product of the United States, a sum I can ill afford should I
be proven wrong. However, we are men of our word, and must abide by
whatever judgement (sic) is afforded by this newsgroup.

I would award the prize to you.

Would anyone care to give their opinion on this rivetting matter?

For rivetting, you may want to consult alt.building.construction :-)

Old October 6th 03, 05:24 PM
Dave

wrote in message
Dear friends,

I have rashly made a substantial wager with two friends: I maintain
stoutly - Guinness in fact - that the astronomical mot precis for the
event wherein a large heavenly body passes in front of another of much
lesser apparent size is 'occult'. My erstwhile friends aver with
considerable free energy that 'eclipse' was good enough for their
grandfathers and will do them fine in the present and any future
event. A large sum of money is at stake here, to wit, the gross
national product of the United States, a sum I can ill afford should I
be proven wrong. However, we are men of our word, and must abide by
whatever judgement (sic) is afforded by this newsgroup.

Would anyone care to give their opinion on this rivetting matter?

Take a look at http://www.accessnewage.com/articles/astro/laloccul.htm
bearing in mind possible wrapping of the address.

Dave

Old October 6th 03, 07:25 PM
David Knisely

wrote in message . ..
Dear friends,

I have rashly made a substantial wager with two friends: I maintain
stoutly - Guinness in fact - that the astronomical mot precis for the
event wherein a large heavenly body passes in front of another of much
lesser apparent size is 'occult'. My erstwhile friends aver with
considerable free energy that 'eclipse' was good enough for their
grandfathers and will do them fine in the present and any future
event. A large sum of money is at stake here, to wit, the gross
national product of the United States, a sum I can ill afford should I
be proven wrong. However, we are men of our word, and must abide by
whatever judgement (sic) is afforded by this newsgroup.

Would anyone care to give their opinion on this rivetting matter?

You could get the prize. An occultation is when a larger
(angular-sized) body goes in front of another once, like the moon
moving in front of a distant star. Eclipses are a bit different, as
they are generally defined as when one body causes a shadow to fall on
another one. I suppose a total solar eclipse could be called a solar
occultation by the moon, but the moon still casts its shadow on the
Earth, so the convention is to call it an eclipse. A lunar eclipse is
where the shadow of the Earth falls on the moon, so it definitely
isn't an occultation in the strictest sense of the word. When the
Galilean moons of Jupiter enter Jupiter's shadow, they are also said
to be eclipsed. Clear skies to you.

David Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org

Old October 6th 03, 09:48 PM
onegod

"David Knisely" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
[...]

Is the world require observer from EARTH? ... In other word, from a moon
earth probably are much larger than sun's angular size.