A newbie

Old September 29th 03, 03:21 PM
Brian and Lisa Fields

Default A newbie

Hi folks..new to this group and looking for suggestions for newbie
astronomers.....any suggestions? I live in central southern Ohio, so going
to a local observatory is kinda outta the question....

Brian Fields

Old September 29th 03, 04:59 PM
Alistair Thomson

Hi

10x50 binoculars and a star chart to help you find your way around the sky.
Still keen? Then look at getting a telescope big enough to show you objects
but small enough to be portable.

Alistair
http://www.geocities.com/the_150mm_reflector

. ..

Old September 29th 03, 07:27 PM
Bill Hennessy

First get some books on stargazing when you just start you don't need a
telescope. Learn the names of the bright stars and the constellations.

Old September 29th 03, 07:27 PM
Bill Hennessy

Old October 5th 03, 04:00 AM
Painius

"Brian and Lisa Fields" wrote in message...
. ..

Hi folks..new to this group and looking for suggestions for newbie
astronomers.....any suggestions? I live in central southern Ohio, so going
to a local observatory is kinda outta the question....

Brian Fields

'Lo Brian and Lisa --

Here are some suggestions you may find helpful...

1) Welcome to the newsgroup! (keep reading),

2) for some detailed help with technical stuff, you can
subscribe to news:sci.astro.amateur,

3) for viewing and posting images of astronomy, you can
subscribe to news:alt.binaries.pictures.astro,

4) Isaac Asimov has written many books on astronomy
that have the novice layperson in mind,

5) Jack's TV show and website are great places to
really fire your imaginations!...

http://www.jackstargazer.com/

hth

happy days and...