The Best Part #3 of CAIB Report

Old August 28th 03, 12:30 AM
ElleninLosAngeles

Default The Best Part #3 of CAIB Report

Calvin Schomburg breezily summarizes the situation in an email on the
21st as "TPS took a hit - shouldn't be a problem." 1 day later, in
another email, he concedes that if the foam piece is big enough in
size, a foam hit could cause burn thru and loss of vehicle and crew.

(see Chap.6, pg. 149 of the CAIB final Report for the 1st email:
"About an hour later, Calvin Schomburg, a Johnson Space Center
engineer with close connections to Shuttle management, sent the
following e-mail to other Johnson engineering managers.
Shuttle Program managers regarded Schomburg as an expert on the
Thermal Protection System. His message downplays the possibility that
foam damaged the Thermal Protection System. However, the Board notes
that Schomburg was not an expert on Reinforced Carbon-Carbon (RCC),
which initial debris analysis indicated the foam may have struck.
Because neither Schomburg nor Shuttle management rigorously
differentiated between tiles and RCC panels, the bounds of Schomburg's
expertise were never properly qualified or questioned.